Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #19
rkvin21

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris SE
Insurance paid for it. $500 total out of pocket with a used engine with 28k miles on it. Comprehensive coverage pays for water damage to your engine caused by weather. Also Silkysmooth: The CAI increased 5 hp and 6ft/lb torque and also increased fuel efficiency. The lightweight pulley's I have maybe increased 1-2 hp but I was only going for better throttle response and weight reduction. Glad you did your research. Anyways I'm all set. Hmm maybe I should hurry up and put a stage 0 turbo in my car so I can move the intake higher :p. If you mention that it shows my age you will be officially dissing every FI Yaris owner in this forum. I do appreciate the advice you just gave but I already called my insurance company to take car of it. Hopefully in the next couple of days I will have my car back and get out of the stupid automatic yaris rental lol. Once you go manual its hard to go back.
rkvin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #20
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkvin21 View Post
Insurance paid for it. $500 total out of pocket with a used engine with 28k miles on it. Comprehensive coverage pays for water damage to your engine caused by weather. Also Silkysmooth: The CAI increased 5 hp and 6ft/lb torque and also increased fuel efficiency. The lightweight pulley's I have maybe increased 1-2 hp but I was only going for better throttle response and weight reduction. Glad you did your research. Anyways I'm all set. Hmm maybe I should hurry up and put a stage 0 turbo in my car so I can move the intake higher :p. If you mention that it shows my age you will be officially dissing every FI Yaris owner in this forum. I do appreciate the advice you just gave but I already called my insurance company to take car of it. Hopefully in the next couple of days I will have my car back and get out of the stupid automatic yaris rental lol. Once you go manual its hard to go back.
How is a CAI going to increase MPG? Now that is a first...I can see it adding power on the mid and high end of the RPM range, but as to increased MPG, that is very hard to believe. No body, not on any MPG forum for any model of car ever looked to a CAI to increase MPG...
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #21
rkvin21

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris SE
I'm not saying increasing mpg by like 5. I did notice a slight increase by like maybe 1 or 2. I get 40mpg mostly on a regular basis. Most of my driving is highway. I was getting around 38 before any mods. At one point in time I got 43 and I don't hypermill. I really don't see people who strive for the high MPG miles going to get performance mods. I've been willing to decrease mpg for performance but have yet to see decrease. My other mods are for weight reduction which WILL increase MPG along with performance.
rkvin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #22
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
How is a CAI going to increase MPG? Now that is a first...I can see it adding power on the mid and high end of the RPM range, but as to increased MPG, that is very hard to believe. No body, not on any MPG forum for any model of car ever looked to a CAI to increase MPG...
FYI...a TRD CAI is good for 6hp on the 1.5
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:14 PM   #23
YarisBC

Drives: 2010 RS
If your decent with engines, or have some friends that are and a shop. Buy a JDM engine and swap it. Depending on which engine you want they seems to range from $400 to $2000. Shipping shouldn't be anymore than $1000. Should be cheaper if you find an importer that will let you toss it in one of his containers. Or even have a local importer look for one for you?

Even Ebay has some. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...Q5fAccessories

Might be an option for you..
YarisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #24
YarisBC

Drives: 2010 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
I had some overheat problems with the stock hood heat shield, and air intake on my GT4. I cut a hole in the heat shield, its now completely open and installed an air intake and it made a mpg difference for me. Reason being that the old intake setup was sucking in hot air and making everything work harder, and not to mention it would get so hot that stuff would melt.

Yaris shouldn't be doing that though....
YarisBC is offline   Reply With Quote