Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
bnther36

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Roof Rack

Has anyone tried to carry a kayak yet? I've been back to the dealer 3 times now and I'm really leaning towards buying a Yaris, but I just happen to think I won't be able to transport a kayak (the bike I'm pretty sure will fit in the the back) I really like the car but I have to be able to use it for all that I do. Has anyone ever installed a roof rack?
bnther36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:53 PM   #2
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Hidden Hitch (google) makes a hitch for a small trailer...if that trips your trigger. US model says no towing, but Canadian allows up to 700 pounds, and Europeans seem to be pulling camping trailers!! Got to admit a trailer would do more than a roof rack!
Old 04-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Here a link for a thread that has an option for you.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4073
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
asmodai650

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Pacific Blue
I have hauled mine on the roof, strapping it at both ends. I would not recommend doing this, and I certainly will never do this again. The only anchor point on the front of the sedan is the tow-bar you screw in. This throws the kayak off center, and I never could get it to stay down like I wanted it. I also had to go down the interstate with this thing, and it had to be one of the most nerveracking rides I've been on. rackattack.com has one made by Thule, but I beleive it is a universal type. Good thing is, it is made for kayaks, and has the optional attachment for the lower racks instead of lifting the kayak on top. The rack folds down to you, then back on top of the car.
asmodai650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
PetersRedYaris

You hauled a kayak on your bare roof? Both Yakima and Thule have lots of options for carrying canoes and kayaks, but you need cross-bars first.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
I need a roof rack setup as well. I may use a setup like you did, Peter, if I can get someone to install it (who is experienced at this sort of thing). I'm not confident that I could do it myself without screwing up my roof.

I need a strong, stable crossbar system so I can carry a dog sled (the sled would weigh only about 30-35 pounds, but the wind resistance at speed might cause some issues).
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
asmodai650

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Pacific Blue
I did have the cheap foam pads under it, but it still sucked. The kayak was one of those impulse purchases, it was clearanced for $200. Like I said, WORST. DRIVE. EVER. .
asmodai650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:40 AM   #8
fantoma33

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnther36 View Post
Has anyone tried to carry a kayak yet? I've been back to the dealer 3 times now and I'm really leaning towards buying a Yaris, but I just happen to think I won't be able to transport a kayak (the bike I'm pretty sure will fit in the the back) I really like the car but I have to be able to use it for all that I do. Has anyone ever installed a roof rack?
This is the exact problem I had. I'm having a Perrycraft rack installed soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'd rather not have a rack permanently installed, but I need to be able to carry a kayak..and I'd rather have the option of having my bicycles outside of the car (the MTB picks up too much mud!!!)
fantoma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:56 AM   #9
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
http://www.yakima.com/Consumer/Step1.aspx

It costs an arm and a leg and a right nut but they do have them now. What kinda boat ya got? I have an Old Town 14'6" Loon.
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:53 AM   #10
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigal View Post
http://www.yakima.com/Consumer/Step1.aspx

It costs an arm and a leg and a right nut but they do have them now. What kinda boat ya got? I have an Old Town 14'6" Loon.
Sadly, that's only for the sedan. Still waiting for the LB option. Well, I'm not, but others are.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:36 AM   #11
Nigal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Sadly, that's only for the sedan. Still waiting for the LB option. Well, I'm not, but others are.
Holy sheep shit! You mean they have something out for the sedan and NOT the LB for a change?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #12
fantoma33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantoma33 View Post
I'm having a Perrycraft rack installed soon.
The Perrycraft rack didn't work out. According to Perrycraft the rack fits the Yaris LB, but according to my installer it does not.

Anyways, I had a Thule rack installed today. I'd post pics, but it's pretty much the exact same thing PetersRedYaris has here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4073

One thing I did not think of was the hatchback door interfering with a bike rack (my tracks seem to be set back a bit further than PetersRedYaris. Luckily the load bars are wide enough so I can put the bike attachement (Thule Peleton) on the outside of the load bars so it's not a problem.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:35 AM   #13
Nigal

So you have to install the tracks to the car to attach the bases? I was hoping there'd be a rack system that doesn't require them.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #14
fantoma33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigal View Post
So you have to install the tracks to the car to attach the bases? I was hoping there'd be a rack system that doesn't require them.
Correct. The tracks look/are? exactly the same. The only difference are the control towers are thule and the load bars are square instead of round like the yakima bars.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #15
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantoma33 View Post
Correct. The tracks look/are? exactly the same. The only difference are the control towers are thule and the load bars are square instead of round like the yakima bars.
Please post a picture. I considered placing my tracks back a little further and would really like to see yours installed. And congrats on your new rack.