Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
First track day

Completed my first open lapping day at my locals track (Toronto Motorsports Park, the same track that Youtube channel "Speed Academy" frequents when they test their builds. It's a 3km track with a lot of open runoffs so it's a great place to learn.

I was running 949 racing 6ul 15x7 +24 rims on BFGoodrich R1's (slicks)

I had a blast and the Vios ran flawlessly, not a single hiccup. Oil pressure was down to about 5psi at idle post cool down laps, and oil termps peaked around 250 degrees. The coolant only ever got to 208 degrees and that was at idle after the cool down laps (ambient temps were close to 90 degree). During lapping the coolant temps hovered around 190 degrees which is barely above normal driving temps.

Brakes showed no sign of fade and they still have pad left on them. The rear brakes seemed to have worn slightly as the e brake clicks an extra 2 or 3 times now when applied. I was doing 20-25min or so sessions (not including cool down) and the engine was consistently between 4k and 6.5k rpm. Never skipped a beat and puled like crazy the whole time.

This session really highlighted the short falls of my build so far. One main focus is the open differential. The inside front wheel was spinning like crazy if I applied anything above 50% throttle during cornering. An LSD is the next big thing to do on this car. The other area if the oem drivers seat. I was floating around inside the cabin the whole time. Once the LSD is installed it will be time to find me a racing seat that I can DD on. Need to keep my ass planted.

Surprisingly the suspension felt decent and the car had a tenancy to over steer. I only ended up spinning out once but 4 or 5 other times I was able to catch myself and keep it on the track. My current set up is stiffer rear dampers which results in the slight over steer but on KYB excel G front struts I was surprised that the car didn't seem to wallow or dip too much.

I'll be heading out in a few weeks again to work on giving it throttle when I start to over steer instead of only counter steering. This is way too much fun, I can see why people say you become addicted. Being able to push a car that I've built to the limit is an awesome feeling.

Some feedback i received from a few guys I met out at the track who tagged along in the passenger seat on some hot laps were: "wow this car is fast and pulls hard", "damn this car sounds nice" and "you really know how to handle this car" - all of them were new to the track so take that with a grain of salt.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:28 AM   #2
deng
Radical Dreamer

Drives: off of T9
I'm glad your first time at the track was a positive one!

I'm surprised you went with R compounds from the get go! No wonder you were getting so much good feedback. I suggest using less grippy tires. R compounds offer massive grip, but they will break loose at such a higher speed, that learning car control at that limit might be difficult/dangerous. A less grippy tire would break loose at a slower speed while being more predictable when doing so. Plus, I believe such grippy tires will hide a lot of driver error. Don't go throwing them away though lol might as well use them up and then replace with 200tw street tires. Less grip, but would last longer for more track day fun.

But, no matter what, it's all about that seat time. :)

I feel your pain, I'm stock 1nz, and I spin the inside wheel. LSD and a 4.3FD is going to be my next upgrade.

Looking forward to your next update!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #3
tmontague

There's no doubt the tires are above my skill range. The reason I went with them is a member was selling them with rims on this forum (LUXX) and it was too good a deal to pass up. The rubber is fairly worn so my plan was to use them until the chords show through and then swap them to something like an NT01 from Nitto. Which is a 100 instead of a 40 tread wear rating and should be a little better for my skill level.

I was the passenger in a '15 wrx with a new driver and i couldn't believe how well the awd made up foot poor lines and over cooked turns. Just give it throttle and the car pulls you to where you want to go.

I'm looking forward to improving my driving, but so far I'm hooked
Old 09-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #4
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
The obligatory "no pics/video?!" comment.

Kidding aside, sounds like you had a blast.

Seriously though, no pics/vid?

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #5
tmontague

Unfortunately due to the hustle and bustle of it being my first track day, I never really took many pics at all. Next time fire sure I'll take a handful of pictures, don't know if I'll have any video footage unfortunately.

The wife will be co ing with me next time so I'll get her to snap some shots as she has a pretty good camera.

My plan is to re wire my gauges before the next track day, currently a bunch of wrapped connectors are touching one another which is causing my gauges to was off or at least oil temp and pressure is slightly off. I'll be using insulated connected and re crimping them.

Anyone have a link to a good crimper? I'm using the one found in a wire stripping took but I don't feel it's all that great

Edit* just realized how old my avatar is...man that needs to be updated. Also I had no rubbing with my track wheel set up with ever since I rolled the rear fenders
Old 09-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
Great post. I've yet to be able to cough up the $400 +/- that track days cost here at Watkins Glen, nor would it really matter as my car tops out at around 95mph with the smaller diameter tires. Love the feedback and info you provided on what we should expect and I never realized 200 rating tires would be preferable to R-compounds on a first track session experience. I can't wait to see your vids next time.

In the straights, did the 2zr swap show its prowess and ability to keep up with bigger/badder chassis & cars?
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:23 PM   #7
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
I love this.
This guy did his own swap in his driveway, and then went out to track it. well done sir, you are my hero.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:53 AM   #8
deng
Radical Dreamer

Throw up some pictures with the battle stance! 6ULs ftw!
Old 09-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Any plans to hit up Cayuga since it is significantly closer to you?

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #10
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenRep View Post
Great post. I've yet to be able to cough up the $400 +/- that track days cost here at Watkins Glen, nor would it really matter as my car tops out at around 95mph with the smaller diameter tires. Love the feedback and info you provided on what we should expect and I never realized 200 rating tires would be preferable to R-compounds on a first track session experience. I can't wait to see your vids next time.

In the straights, did the 2zr swap show its prowess and ability to keep up with bigger/badder chassis & cars?
TMP is luckily the closest track to me and is one of the cheapest in the areas at $100 for an evening session and $180 for a full day. Canadian Tire Motorsports parks is a little further and has a much better road course with elevation changes but it is $400 a session. At this point TMP is more than adequate for improving my skill and it fits my current student budget lol.

This course only lets me get up to 150km/h right before slamming on the brakes and throwing it into a sharp right 90 degree corner. Some of the bigger v6 track builds were getting up to about 160km/h and maybe even 170 for the Viper ACR that was there (insane car). On the straights the only time I noticed cars pull away from me noticeably quick was the big v8's or crazy turbo v6 builds. An Mercedes AMG left me in the dust pretty quick lol. But cars like the mostly stock s2000 and other 4 bangers that were boosted didn't really pull away from me much. I noticed I would fall behind on the long tight corners as my front end would push and I couldn't get onto the throttle until I was travelling straight or else my inside tire would light up. I would expect the LSD to make a large difference in lap times. I'll be trying to time my laps next time so I have a bench mark.

The 2zr was kept in the 4-6.5k rpm ranger so when I floored it there was always more than enough power there. The problem is it is too much for an open diff. Once I get that outside tire some power it should help guide the car through the corner

I didn't feel that the suspension was holding the car back at all but it is possible that the Excel G'd on the front are not aggressive enough to match the Blues in the rear and this could be causing the front end plowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
I love this.
This guy did his own swap in his driveway, and then went out to track it. well done sir, you are my hero.
Thanks man, couldn't have done it without your guys info from your swaps. I've never wanted to build a car to be a garage queen or to just cruise around the street doing 2 second pulls to turn heads. I've always wanted to put my work to the test and to be honest it was a great feeling. Driving what you've built is simply awesome. Since it's my DD it isn't the cleanest car and it has it's dings and what not but it is a ton of fun on the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deng View Post
Throw up some pictures with the battle stance! 6ULs ftw!
next time I will, the stance is pretty aggressive and the slicks poke out quite a bit in the rear. The camber and fender roll in the rear helps it not rub.

only pic I have however, the guy shown in the pic was my passenger a few times and was taking video footage and pics with a super nice camera, I forgot to get his name or social media handles, I'll try and track it down

Old 09-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #11
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Any plans to hit up Cayuga since it is significantly closer to you?

That's the track I was at, Toronto Motosports Park aka Cayuga (the town)

I'll be there in a couple weeks it looks like. We in the middle of a September heat wave with no rain and I want to take advantage of that...my slicks don't like cold
Old 09-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Oops, my mind registered Mosport for some reason.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #13
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Since it's my DD it isn't the cleanest car and it has it's dings and what not...
Having seen Tom's car in person, I'll go out on a limb and say he's not worried about dings and what not.

On Wheelwell
Old 09-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #14
tmontague

Hahah no probably not, I'm realizing now that track cars do not make show cars for a reason
Old 09-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #15
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Hahah no probably not, I'm realizing now that track cars do not make show cars for a reason
Totally lol.

On Wheelwell
Old 09-22-2017, 12:17 AM   #16
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Having seen Tom's car in person, I'll go out on a limb and say he's not worried about dings and what not.

You sir need to ride in this thing next month. Its one of the angriest cars Ive ever owned.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:49 AM   #17
deng
Radical Dreamer

Track cars are show cars. Doesn't work the other way. ;) Battle scars ftw.

I would say a ride along at Big Willow would be fun, but Willow Spring's track rules do not allow passengers unless it's a driving instructor in the vehicle. Parade laps allow passengers, but those are lame with a max speed of 40mph or something.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #18
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post

You sir need to ride in this thing next month. Its one of the angriest cars Ive ever owned.
Don't have to tell me twice; I'm in!

On Wheelwell