Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-08-2018, 02:32 AM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Any tips for getting a new battery?

I have a 2008 Yaris, base model hatchback. The simplest cheapest Yaris model for that year.

It looks like I need a new battery. The engine does not turn over & start when it is cold weather. I think the battery is the original factory battery, an FB Hi Dash, Furakawa Battery Company in Japan. I bought the car 10 years ago this coming June.

QUESTION(S): Does anybody have any tips about buying a new battery? Should it be a particular size or type for this Toyota vehicle?

It is uncertain the kind of operating conditions I will need, but I may need it in Montana in the winter (quite cold) and in the summer there (pretty hot, e.g., 100+ Fahrenheit) at times.

The car was in Montana for 7 years. Is it unusual for a factory car battery to last almost 10 years like this?

Thanks,

R.
RMcG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcG View Post
QUESTION(S): Does anybody have any tips about buying a new battery? Should it be a particular size or type for this Toyota vehicle?

It is uncertain the kind of operating conditions I will need, but I may need it in Montana in the winter (quite cold) and in the summer there (pretty hot, e.g., 100+ Fahrenheit) at times.

Thanks,

R.
More specifically I am wondering if size 24 or 24F or size 35 is what is needed. Does anybody know?

Thank you,

R.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:59 AM   #3
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
I found the right battery using https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/battery-finder and bought it in the local store. I do not care what size it is. :)
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:27 AM   #4
SeattleCommuter

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris sedan
I replaced my battery a year ago with Walmart ValuePower 26R battery (link), and didn't have any issues with installation or car since. Walmart had the best price I could find ($50), there's not much difference between brands for the low-end batteries.

Pro tip: If you had green corrosion build up at the battery terminals, use a mixture of baking soda and water to clean up the corrosion.
SeattleCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:07 AM   #5
crpt2008

Drives: Yaris D4D 2007
Hi all
Probably the most important tip. If you're going to buy a cheap battery from Wallmart or similar. Take a multi-meter with you.
After choosing the appropriate size, brand, whatever you prefer/need.
Check/test the voltage of the batteries available. It might come as a big surprise the differences between them.
Obviously bring home, the one that presents the highest voltage.
First thing to do, charge it before putting it to good use. Enjoy years of trouble free cheap battery.
Honestly I've being doing this for years, never got wrong. Except the very few times I pick the first on the shelf without checking. ;-)
Cheers

Edit: Last month add to buy a new battery. Well I brought with me the 12th or 13th I tested!!! It was reading a whopping 12.53V.
There was units in there reading as low 11.8~11.9V. Just saying. ;-)
crpt2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
The Napa battery fits perfectly and you get more amps. Been there, done that.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP7535
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
RMcG

I bought the EverStart MAXX-35N at Walmart -- that's size 35. It fits fine and is apparently a very heavy duty battery and what I may need for winter driving.

The guy at Walmart told me his literature said the proper size was 26. But I told him that I thought size 35 would work because of what I had read on this forum. And it fits just fine.

Thanks to everybody,

R.

Tags
battery, buying, tips