Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
kike

Drives: Red Yaris Sedan 2007 (Premium)
Ignition Issues

Hello everyone!

I've been having issues with my Yaris Sedan 2007.

When starting the car, the ignition is not "clean"... it sounds/feels like the process was going to fail (don't know a common word to describe it) and you would have to try again.

This mainly in the morning, after the motor has been turned off for the most time, and it's cold.

The car starts normally if only a few hours have passed (say 3-5 hours) after the last ignition.

I took the car to the dealer and they told me it was the battery (I didn't believe that was the problem). They changed it. The next morning, the same problem happened.

What's the problem? is it the oil? spark plugs? something left loose?

Don't know what to do and certainly I don't trust the dealer.

Have any ideas?

Thanks
kike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
kike

Drives: Red Yaris Sedan 2007 (Premium)
Any ideas?
kike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:05 PM   #3
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
yaris dont have problems.. you must be making this up .. lol j/k i have no idea.. i would say bring it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it
Old 10-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #4
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
the warranty is good at any dealer.. you can bring it to a different dealer for the service
Old 10-31-2008, 12:59 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kike View Post
Hello everyone!

I've been having issues with my Yaris Sedan 2007.

When starting the car, the ignition is not "clean"... it sounds/feels like the process was going to fail (don't know a common word to describe it) and you would have to try again.

This mainly in the morning, after the motor has been turned off for the most time, and it's cold.

The car starts normally if only a few hours have passed (say 3-5 hours) after the last ignition.

I took the car to the dealer and they told me it was the battery (I didn't believe that was the problem). They changed it. The next morning, the same problem happened.

What's the problem? is it the oil? spark plugs? something left loose?

Don't know what to do and certainly I don't trust the dealer.

Have any ideas?

Thanks
I notice your car is over a year old now. How many miles do you have on your vehicle and what brand of gasoline do you use. If you are not using top tier gasoline carbon build up in your motor can be a cause for cold starting issues. The dealership should have load tested your battery and gave you a print out of results before reccomending a battery. Most of the service writers don't know that much about cars so i would not ask them for thier advice on what they think the problem is. Only after the mechanic has performed variouse tests and then they read to you the results would i belive anything they say.

Most dealerships have a fuel injection/fuel induction service. I would have both performed. You will be amazed in the world of a difference it makes.

If there is enough interest I can post a DIY on how to do this service at home.

But if you are using gasses like rotton robbie, costo, arco, valero etc. I would suggest decarbonizing your engine before paying anyone for a diagnostic. Since the cost of diagnostic may be the same price as the service to begin with.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:43 AM   #6
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
I've had that issue before when I went to start it.

It happened after I bought a full tank of cheap fuel (i.e. fuel that was priced very cheaply all week long).

After that tank finished, I filled up at a different petrol station and the problem disappeared.

I put it down to the bad fuel.
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote