Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
ejaf

Drives: 09 5MT
ABS Sensor light on After Clutch Replacement

Hi all, figured I'd ask here to get input.

Mechanic just called after doing a clutch replacement (will pick up the car later tonight). 85K miles on it, and I guess I've been hard on the clutch.

Anyway, the mechanic calls and tells me that the ABS light is on, and it's coming from the front right sensor. Before I go and tell him to replace (which he was happy to do with no labor, just a part price of $120), is there anything I can check to see if it's actually not the sensor itself?

I have searched, and see a photo of where it is located, but there has been mention of cleaning the electrical contacts in the wiring harness, and I have no clue where that is, and can't find a diagram or photo.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. Also, if there is anything else to check besides the electrical contact and cleaning them up, or testing the sensor itself (I think I got a hit on a google search for testing the sensor using a multimeter).

I also searched for the part, and got different prices (non-OEM and OEM, big difference), and I don't see anything around $120.

Thanks in advance,

Eric
ejaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
I would clear the code, clean the contacts, (mechanical and electrical) and see if it comes back. it's usually the rears that have issues.
it is located behind the brake rotor, attached to the hub. the tip of the sensor reads the rotation of the axle, so where the rotating axle meets the stationary hub. it is the only thing that uses electricity near the brake rotor and axle area. all the sensor does is send a "on/off" signal with magnetism so all there is to check is if the sensor wheel is clean and there is not debris on the tip of the sensor and there is not corrosion on the sensor and the wiring is not damaged.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
ejaf

Thanks!

I will have some time this weekend so I will unbolt it, clean the magnetic sensor, see if there is any rust on the rotating part (can't remember what it's called, but I know what it should look like).

Where are the contacts located? Under the hood somewhere, but do you know the general area? I don't have a shop manual, but am now seriously considering purchasing one.

Also, how do I reset the light? I only have a basic OBD2 scanner, and another thread mentions how to read the code by jumping a couple of contacts on the OBD port, but couldn't find mention of resetting.

Thanks again...Eric

P.S. Starting another thread related to the clutch replace, since it seems to have opened a can of worms.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #4
ejaf

All good...after pulling it out, cleaning it up, and reconnecting, code cleared.

Thanks all for the help.

Eric
Old 02-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #5
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
follow the wire. you will come to the connector. brake cleaner works, but there is special contact cleaner if you want to do things perfect. get some dielectric grease and coat contacts after cleaning.
you should get a code reader from the internet or an auto parts store. they cost about $30-$50, but you can use it on almost any car built after 1996 to find issues. get one that reads ABS codes.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #6
ejaf

Will do...

I "do" have an OBD2 code reader, but for some reason, I thought that the default OBD2 reader I have could not discern from which sensor the light was coming from (thought I read on another thread that that is considered supplemental info specifically along whatever bus toyota uses).

Are you also telling me that I could have cleared the code with my generic OBD2 reader as well?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #7
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
A regular OBD2 code reader will not read or reset ABS or Airbag/SRS codes. For that you need a more advanced OBD2 code reader along the lines of the Autel AL619. There is also a procedure you can follow that involves jumping a couple pins in the OBD2 port that lets you read and reset ABS and SRS codes without a code reader for pretty much all Toyota's of that vintage.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:50 PM   #8
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Mechanic probably broke the the sensor yanking the axles lol

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:52 AM   #9
eseibel67

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
Mechanic probably broke the the sensor yanking the axles lol
This is what happened. Clutch replacement is invasive surgery and the sensors are delicate.
eseibel67 is offline   Reply With Quote