Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #127
teddy

Drives: 2008 5-door hatchback
Send a message via MSN to teddy
Hey Scott, random question for you. Say one were to install cruise in a manual transmission without installing the clutch switch. What would happen if you tried to use the depressed the clutch pedal? Obviously the cruise wouldn't know to disengage...
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #128
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
Hey Scott, random question for you. Say one were to install cruise in a manual transmission without installing the clutch switch. What would happen if you tried to use the depressed the clutch pedal? Obviously the cruise wouldn't know to disengage...
To be able to engage cruise, you at least have to jump the pins that the switch connects to. With that done, if you hit the clutch while in cruise, the engine would rev.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #129
Tapokata

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Just a note of thanks to CTScott! I installed this mod today in my 09 HB- I used the two button arrangment, mounting the NO switches in the blank remote mirror plate next to the dimmer switch, shown below Less than 20 bucks in parts (Digi-key minimum purchase), and I've got cruise control in the clown-car.

With an 87 mile commute each way to work, my leg thanks you, and I thank you. It really works. :

Now if I could just get the fog light installation sorted...

Last edited by Tapokata; 02-13-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Tapokata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #130
frankmontreal

Drives: 2006 canadian 3 door hatchback
made my first road trip with the cruise control, montreal-quebec city, thats about 150 miles, i was a bit disapointed the cruise stopped working after 100miles while i was on the highway, kinda weird, i stopped the car for a coffee and it still wasn't working, that's yesterday, today i took the car and the cruise was fine, i need to figure it out cuz i'm driving down to florida in april... any ideas ?
frankmontreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #131
ibanezjeepguy

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Liftback
should probably post this in its own topic thread with more details on which CC setup you are using, IE: stock / home-made / etc.......
ibanezjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #132
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmontreal View Post
made my first road trip with the cruise control, montreal-quebec city, thats about 150 miles, i was a bit disapointed the cruise stopped working after 100miles while i was on the highway, kinda weird, i stopped the car for a coffee and it still wasn't working, that's yesterday, today i took the car and the cruise was fine, i need to figure it out cuz i'm driving down to florida in april... any ideas ?
It's probably still the ECM pin. It may have gotten misshapen with plugging the connector in with the pin not fully inserted.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #133
hayden

Drives: asd
How do you guys recommend running the wire from the ECM to D3? I've got my car in pieces outside and I'm unsure what route to take. There's a rubber grommit thing that seems to house all the other wires going to the engine bay - should I poke a hole in that or what?
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #134
hayden

CTScott replied via PM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden
How do you recommend running the wire from the ECM to D3? I've got my car in pieces outside and I'm unsure what route to take. There's a rubber grommit thing that seems to house all the other wires going to the engine bay - should I poke a hole in that or what?
There are two ways you can go -

1.You can go down and slightly to the right from the ECM and go through the rubber grommet for the A/C drain hose. It enters the cabin just under the top left edge of the front passenger side carpet (along the hump).

2. You can follow the ECM cable bundle across the top of the engine bay and enter through the giant grommet behind the battery that comes out under the driver's side of the dash, near where the steering column pokes through the fire wall.

Either way, you poke through the grommet with a small screwdriver and then pass the wire through the poked hole.

The 1st way is definitely easier, as the second requires pulling the battery. With the first, you then feed the wire between the A/C system and the plastic of the center of the dash to get across to the steering column.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #135
hayden

I also just want to say how awesome CTScott has been in helping me figure this out. I fancy myself rather technically inclined - I've done just about every sort of repair on a couple difference motorcycles I fixed up - but dear God this was a pain in the ass.

For anyone who has a 2007 auto with no power packages, let me sum up all the steps here (for an OEM install) because it was a freaking pain to figure this all out myself.

1. Get the OEM stalk (ebay or on these forums) and pin kit (CTScott sells the pin kit) and some extra 18-22AWG wire (radio shack or elsewhere). You'll need about 6 feet of the extra wire just to be safe. You're also going to need a way to make three connections between wires, either with soldering or with some other connector (I used the squeeze something kind).

2. Plug the ECM pin from your pin kit into your ECM. There's a guide for it here:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26444
Something the guide doesn't cover that I couldn't figure out is that once the big clunky cord of wires is unplugged from the ECM is how to move the white plastic bit so you can get the pin in. The big plastic housing around it got in the way and I couldn't figure out how to get it off without risking breaking it. I found that there's a little white tab on the inside of the connector where it attaches to the ECM. The tab is down a valley the middle and you can just stick something thin down there to slide it over. This is probably a bad description, but just keep looking at it until you see it.

I went into this project thinking the ECM was under the dash and I didn't need to worry about routing a wire to the engine bay. WRONG. The ECM is easily spotted if you pop the hood and look to the left of the engine on the firewall.

3. This wire has to be run to the D3 connector, which is under the steering wheel, and is ideally routed under the dash. There are two ways to do this (see above post) and I highly recommend taking option one. To clarify option one, you have to lift a bit of the carpet in the front passenger foot area to find the grommet he's talking about. The length of the pin kit wire isn't going to be long enough, so you're going to want to connect it to your 18-22AWG extra wire. My suggestion is to feed the extra wire from inside the cabin to the engine bay, and then make the connection (I used squeeze connector things, but soldering is ideal) inside the engine bay.

4. Before you can attach this wire to D3, you have a whole lot of plastic disassembly ahead of you. The ENTIRE top dash has to come off and this is no easy feat the first time you do it. The only reason I was able to figure it out was here:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26144
Be sure to note my extra comment that was left out, where you also have to undo the cup holder screws. To clarify the first step, you're removing the plastic pillars that go up along the windshield (where you'd normally find side impact airbags in some cars).

5. If you managed to get the dash off, you're probably ready to give up on life, but you're done with all the hard parts. Route your wire that came in from the engine bay up across the mess of wires under your dash and bring it over to your steering wheel. You're now going to follow the first three steps of this tutorial:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=diy+cruise
to get access to the D3 connector. Use your two remaining wires from the pin kit, plug them into the connector (NOTE: YOU HAVE TO FIDDLE WITH THE MOVABLE PART ON THE CONNECTOR TO GET THE PINS IN). You're now going to take the wire from pin 2 and attach it to any ground point (I used the one on the driver side pillar) and attach the wire from pin 1 to the wire you dragged from the engine bay and across your dash. Congratulations, you're wired to use the OEM CC stalk! Have fun putting this shit all back together (especially if you realize you forgot to put a screw back in under the dash after its all together, like I did). I also had to fiddle with the stupid center air vent for about 10 minutes before I got the cover back on without screwing it up.

6. Follow this tutorial, ignoring the first two photos (which are for manual transmissions):
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...cruise+control
With any luck, you're now ready to go.

All in all this took me 4 hours NOT including step 6, which I still haven't done yet (too worn out and don't have a drill to make the hole right now). This also doesn't include the three or so hours I spent reading and trying to figure this all out before I started. A big reason it took so long was because I was sitting in my car while it was in pieces reading my laptop trying to figure out what to do. Figuring out the wiring between the engine bay and the dash was probably at least an hour of it. I don't think I could have actually ever gotten the wire through with option 2, which was the only way I could find as I was out there doing it myself. I finally gave up and asked CTScott for help and he replied quickly and saved my ass. If I knew it was this involved I don't think I would have bothered, but with any luck it'll work tomorrow once I get the stalk installed. It's gonna suck real bad if it turns out those squeeze connectors didn't work.

In retrospect, this project would have been a lot easier if I routed the wire through the front pillars and ceiling lining or something, because taking the dash off was by far the biggest pain and may have not been 100% needed.

Also forgive any typos, I'm extremely tired and half insane now.

Last edited by hayden; 02-17-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #136
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Wow - That sounds like it was indeed painful. You actually didn't need to take the dash apart to get to D3, nor to run the wire across. You can remove just the lower steering column cover to access D3. If you remove the lower passenger glove box, you can feed the wire between the A/C system and the center dash trim and across to the driver's side. On the driver's side, if you flip down the plastic access panel, under the steering wheel, you can grab the wire from the other side.

There are so many separate DIYs with bits and pieces in regards to the pre-09 cars that it is very difficult to sort through it all. I am still waiting for someone relatively local, with an 07 or 08, to take me up on the offer of helping them out with the install. That way I can put together a comprehensive DIY.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #137
hayden

Well I guess I'm dumb.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #138
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden View Post
Well I guess I'm dumb.

Definitely not, since you got the job done.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #139
hayden

Got the stalk installed today (after getting the hole position pretty wrong, it's now pretty giant) and it worked! Hooray!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #140
mbera

Drives: black 2011 Yaris zen3
Hi guys I just got my yaris - 2011 - 1.3 in south africa. - can I do this mod on her. ?
Thanx
mbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #141
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbera View Post
Hi guys I just got my yaris - 2011 - 1.3 in south africa. - can I do this mod on her. ?
Thanx
No. Only the US and Canada 1.5L models have cruise control functionality built into the ECM.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 AM   #142
Yaross

Drives: 2006 Yaris HB 5DR
sirs, just a stupid question...

if we really wanted CC in our yaris, but our ECM was not equipped:

1. can we swapped our ECM with those that have CC already programmed in it? --or --
2. can we use our existing ecm but with some modifications?

our yaris is drive-by-wire, so there must be some other way to do it...
Yaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:35 AM   #143
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaross View Post
sirs, just a stupid question...

if we really wanted CC in our yaris, but our ECM was not equipped:

1. can we swapped our ECM with those that have CC already programmed in it? --or --
2. can we use our existing ecm but with some modifications?

our yaris is drive-by-wire, so there must be some other way to do it...
Only the ECM for the 1.5L engine has the built in cruise control, so if your Yaris has the 1.5, then you could swap in a USDM ECM.

The other option is to use one of the aftermarket cruise control systems. There is one system from Europe for Toyotas and I believe that the Rostra system will work with non-US Yaris.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #144
kimjo

Drives: 2007 HB Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezjeepguy View Post
haha, 15 to 30 days shipping..... I guess its worth the wait ?
I just scored a nice factory stereo off ebay recently, good find as well
I got mine in 22 days looks good and the wires from ctscott

Last edited by kimjo; 02-26-2011 at 10:47 PM.
kimjo is offline   Reply With Quote