Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Anyone have their brake pedal go rock hard on hot days?

I first noticed this on a hot day while autocrossing and thought it was brake fade.

I've since swapped in SS brake lines, a high performance set of rotors, and high performance pads. (this was done for the autox, not the hard brakes).
Now that summer is here, I'm getting the symptoms again. My mechanic filled the system with the ATE Super Blue brake fluid so I don't think the heat is affecting the fluid.

I'm sure that if I take the car in to the dealer, they'll blame these aftermarket parts so I'll go back to my mechanic.

Thanks in advanced.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
I first noticed this on a hot day while autocrossing and thought it was brake fade.

I've since swapped in SS brake lines, a high performance set of rotors, and high performance pads. (this was done for the autox, not the hard brakes).
Now that summer is here, I'm getting the symptoms again. My mechanic filled the system with the ATE Super Blue brake fluid so I don't think the heat is affecting the fluid.

I'm sure that if I take the car in to the dealer, they'll blame these aftermarket parts so I'll go back to my mechanic.

Thanks in advanced.

Sounds like Vapor lock, too me .
Brake fluid boiling ,
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
LtNoogie

The DOT 4 racing brake fluid is supposed to stop the brake fluid boiling. I'll have to check to see what could be the cause of vapor lock.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Vapor lock applies to fuel lines. When fuel lines run close to the exhaust manifold or near the exhaust pipe, the gas will boil and instead of liquid gas, just vapor would feed the carb.

Long, you're not giving enough information to make a diagnosis. It could be that before you had air in the lines and now you don't.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I've had that problem. I generally chalk it up to pad fade. It's not fluid fade. The pedal goes mushy when your fluid boils. What you're describing (and what I sometimes feel) is that you're giving the pedal a good firm push... the pads just aren't biting. Pad fade.

It just happens so rarely for me that I haven't bothered to change out my pads yet!

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
^^ I agree, and its not air in the line or it would be constantly crappy.

Have you converted your fog lights to brake vents yet? :D
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
^^ I agree, and its not air in the line or it would be constantly crappy.

Or you could put on some nice , well vented Alloy's
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
I've had that problem. I generally chalk it up to pad fade. It's not fluid fade. The pedal goes mushy when your fluid boils. What you're describing (and what I sometimes feel) is that you're giving the pedal a good firm push... the pads just aren't biting. Pad fade.

It just happens so rarely for me that I haven't bothered to change out my pads yet!
I could understand pad fade if I was driving and braking hard. This was inching around the parking lot of a Walmart looking for a parking space.

I wait 10 seconds, pump the brake pedal and then it depresses and I feel the brake pads bite like normal. It's almost like something is getting under the pedal and I just can't push it hard enough to slow down.

I'm not too cool about this because it could happen at a bad time.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #9
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
I've got the ten feet of RV sewer hose. Just need to get down there and cut the foglight inserts.

I'm slow that way.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #10
Loren
What?

Hmmm... that IS strange. I've only experienced it at the track and sometimes at an autocross.

Maybe you have a vacuum leak and are losing boost?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
Loren
What?

Wait... you're supercharged, aren't you? Supercharged cars often have problems with vacuum... hard to have vacuum when you have boost! Look into it. You may need to add an electric vacuum pump.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #12
LtNoogie

Ok, but the first thing I looked at was my vacuum gauge and was showing good vacuum. I'll have to find where vacuum is going to the brake system.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There is a vacuum check valve on the brake booster. If that valve fails it will cause the pedal to become mighty hard. You can unscrew it from the booster and blow in either side to see if it is OK.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote