Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
ryker

Drives: Yaris liftback
Having problems with overheating

My wife drove our 2007 Yaris on a 3 hour trip in approx 80 degree weather with the ac on. When she had to idle in traffic due to road construction she shut off the ac and in a few minutes the overheat light came on. She turned on the heat and blower which caused the light to eventually shut off. She pulled over and checked the coolant and it was fine. She also says that the ac doesn't work if the car is running and in park, didn't know if it was supposed to do that or not. Anyone else have some overheating problems? I got 27,000 miles on it and this is the first problem. Gonna call the dealer.

Last edited by ryker; 07-30-2007 at 07:13 PM.
ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:57 PM   #2
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
If the cabin heater came on, It's an indicator that the cooling system is working properly. I've got 44,000 miles on my 07 Yaris 5dr/Manual and have driven it 90+ mpg with the AC blasting for hours without any overheating problems. However, Maine does have mountains and fast tracking up one of those would probably put more of a load on the engine, even more so if the engine is loaded down with an automatic tranny.

When the engine is cold, I'd check inside the radiator to make sure that it's full. Best case senerio, the engine light came on because the engine was overworked and by turning off the AC fan, it allowed an extra blast of hot air to cook the engine.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
ryker

Drives: Yaris liftback
Well if this car can't make it up a few hills with the ac on I'll be trading it in quick. My honda civic has made this trip dozens of times and never had a problem. This is our first Toyota and so far I am not impressed. I have an app. with the dealer on Thursday if the wife can make it back without any problems.
ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Get the dealership to check the A/C head pressure. The idiot light may be associated with the engine coolant as well as the A/C system. Too much head pressure in the A/C system will cause the A/C to cut off/blow hot air when it is really hot outside and sitting in traffic would really heat things up. Also it could be your radiator fan may have some issues.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
sounds like an individual problem, if the cars here can stay stuck in traffic jams for hours under the scorching sun with the AC on full all the time, without overheating, then your mild summers should be causing any problems

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote