Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
thebasemetn1

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris S Sedan 5Spd
What sensors can be read using OBDII on 2007 Yaris?

I am having trouble figuring out what I should be able to read using my OBDII scanner, because what I am currently getting is rather odd. So, I am wondering, does anyone know what sensors should be available for reading by an OBDII on a manual 2007 Yaris Sedan?
thebasemetn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasemetn1 View Post
I am having trouble figuring out what I should be able to read using my OBDII scanner, because what I am currently getting is rather odd. So, I am wondering, does anyone know what sensors should be available for reading by an OBDII on a manual 2007 Yaris Sedan?

Off the top of my head that i can remember are oxygen sensors, coolant temperature sensor, vehicle speed sensor, and RPMs.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
thebasemetn1

So, here is are the sensors my OBDII scanner is picking up: Throttle position, engine RPM, vehicle speed, calculated load value %, Ignition timing advance, intake air flow rate, short term fule trim, long term fuel trim, air temperature, eng/coolant temp, oxygen sensor 2, fuel level.

I'm thinking there has got to be more than this, because the ECU (I can't remember what that stands for now) processes a lot of stuff. I am interested in a reference that indicates what the ECU is looking at and what would be really nice is a range of values the car should be in (model specific).
Old 01-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
YarisSedan

Well depends on what scanner you are using. If you are using a generic scanner through generic mode thats all your going to get. You would need a manufacturer scanner with manufacture mode which requires you to enter the vin number to gain acess to more functions and data.

If you are concerned if you care is running good. All you simply need to do is look at the short term and long term fuel trim. This indicates if you are is on the lean side or rich side.

Optimally you would want both these to be zero. Or atleast the long term. If the car is adding a high percentage of fuel or subtracting a large amount. This could be signs of a vacuum leak or clogged injector. Not that you would even have this problems on a newer car but to give you an idea. THis is how i learned why my weapon r intake was causing me higher fuel consumtion. My fuel trim was on the rich side. Meaning my car was dumping more fuel into the combustion chamber. WHy? Because the MAF on our car is directly related to the fuel. The MAF sensor on this style intake relocates it from the factory position closer to the throttle plate. I suspect the MAF is not calibrated to operate this way and since you are changing its normal values its supose to read for every throttle position the computer reacts by adding more fuel than it normally would since it its measuring a higher volocity of air.

When i put on the factory intake. THe readings go to near zero. Meaning everything is balanced. The main reason i sold my weapon R. I am going to try a AFE looking the design. The distance of the MAF from the throttle is about the same as factory.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:31 AM   #5
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Scangauge will give you all these readings http://www.scangauge.com/features/
As will most other obd11 readers.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
thebasemetn1

YarisSedan, so your Yaris has a MAF sensor? I called the Toyota dealer and asked them if my vehicle had a MAF sensor and they said it did not. Instead, they said it had some other sensor built into something else (I know that's not a crappy description, but the guy started to speak Greek, so my ears turned off). Do you know how I could locate the MAF?

jambo101, I decided against the scangauge because it seemed way to cumbersome. I instead went with a bluetooth OBDKey, which can either hook up to my laptop, Palm pda, or java enabled phone, among other things. Not to mention more and more diagnostic software is coming out for diagnosis with an OBDII, which scangauge can't handle, because once you buy it the firmware is set. Actually it was the scangauge that got me interested in all the stuff, because I was curious about the mpg readings, which I realize aren't wholly accurate, because they are just based on a formula using common sensor data, but I none-the-less wanted to check it out.

I just recently saw a couple Haynes guides that go into some detail about all this stuff. Maybe that's a good investment?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
YarisSedan

Service writers at toyota dealer know nothing at all. I mean nothing. Atleast the few taht I have talked to. They try to BS thier way. The MAF sensor is located on your intake tubing to the throttle body like all cars. Look at the throttle follow the intake you will see the sensor before the air filter
Old 01-11-2009, 04:44 AM   #8
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Seems like the guys over at the Cmpg forum are reprogramming their Scangauges to read all sorts of different parameters.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86
The first sticky seems to tell you how.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote