Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
firebird1999us

Drives: 2003 Mach 1
Question Got the oil changed Tuesday and today the "MAINT REQD" light came on..

...right when I turned the car on at the gmail box on my way home

Is this an automatic light that comes on every X amount of miles....or is this something that indicates an actual oil issue aside from the low oil light?

I reset it per the manual and the oil level seems to look fine
firebird1999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird1999us View Post
...right when I turned the car on at the gmail box on my way home

Is this an automatic light that comes on every X amount of miles....or is this something that indicates an actual oil issue aside from the low oil light?

I reset it per the manual and the oil level seems to look fine
It's supposed to cycle every 5K miles.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
firebird1999us

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
It's supposed to cycle every 5K miles.
I'm at about 4700...but in other words it's just a mileage thing that really doesn't have much to do with oil other than to tell you it's 5k miles and you need to change it?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
I would check the for oil leaks. Also the filter may not be screwed in right. How does it run after the change?

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
I'm at about 4700...but in other words it's just a mileage thing that really doesn't have much to do with oil other than to tell you it's 5k miles and you need to change it?
From experience with my car, it starts flashing just during start up from 4500-4999 after the last oil change. At 5000, the light stays on after start up, and yes the "maint req'd" light is just a mileage thing, not an actual diagnostic.

On most cars, the actual oil light only comes on after its too late, and you would probably be able to tell something was wrong without the oil light.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
firebird1999us

Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
I would check the for oil leaks. Also the filter may not be screwed in right. How does it run after the change?
Runs fine...no leaks or anything like that. No oil on the floor where it's parked...I went to a different place a long time ago and they didn't screw the filter on right (on another car) and you could smell the oil burning when it dripepd out of the filter and hit the manifold
Old 04-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Yeah, it starts bugging you at around 4500 miles, then keeps bugging you until it gets closer to 5K where it'll come on and stay on, instead of just the normal flashing. If you had leaks or engine noise due to low pressure/leaks you'd be seeing the red warning light instead.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Its cause the oil light wasnt on when the oil was changed so the technician probally forgot to reset it so now it just came on because of the internal clock. I run a auto shop and id have to say atleast 1-2 customers a week come back cause thier maint light is on after the service was done a few weeks ago. No matter how many time we remind our techs to make sure to reset the light even if its not on. I have forgot myself personally too especially when you are working on many cars a day it just happens. It dosnt mean anything at all. If you are changing your oil every 3k and the light comes 5k. That means when it was on last you got your oil change. Next oil change wont come on but halfway to the next one it will come on. So if you look at it you may have had a service and it comes on afterwards. or it came on early before your next one.

Simply just reset the light yourself there are diys on the forum.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
firebird1999us

Next thing -- I checked the oil level a few times and it seems to be a bit on the high side. Like a bit past the top dot on the dipstick...should I be concerned about that at all?

I'm changing my own oil the next time dammit...I worry to much about this stuff otherwise
Old 04-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Depends on how much higher. Like the distance between both dots. If its a quarter of that distance you are probally okay. If its like the same distance then you have a possible problem with excessive crankcase pressure. Which puts pressure on the internal seals which may cause oil leaks over time. Especially if your going to the same place and they continually put extra oil in your engine.

I have done my own oil change on the ground without a jack and my car is lowerd. it is not that hard on our car. With a basic floor jack you can easily change your oil with very little effort.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
firebird1999us

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Depends on how much higher. Like the distance between both dots. If its a quarter of that distance you are probally okay. If its like the same distance then you have a possible problem with excessive crankcase pressure. Which puts pressure on the internal seals which may cause oil leaks over time. Especially if your going to the same place and they continually put extra oil in your engine.

I have done my own oil change on the ground without a jack and my car is lowerd. it is not that hard on our car. With a basic floor jack you can easily change your oil with very little effort.
Yeah like a quarter or less of that distance....I've even got some 5000 pound bearing ramps from a past project so I could probably just pull it up on there and get to the oil pan without an issue. Of course I've read that that's not a goot way to do it either because the oil doen't completly drain.