Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Emergency parts

Driving beaters for the past 25 years I always kept a few parts unique to the car that were prone to failure in the trunk.

Are there any specialty fuses or belts I should buy and keep in the back of my Yaris?
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
The fuses are very very small and I had a difficult time finding some, ended up locating a multi-pack at Advance Auto Parts. I think they are "micro" fuses but I'd want someone else to confirm the type before you go out and buy some.

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
I have an emergency basket with jumper cables, extra oil and distilled water and some other stuff, I have yet to use it for my car. I did need to use the cables to jump someone else.

As for the fuses, you should already have some spare ones where you have the fuses unless you've already used them.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
regal

I was looking at the large breaker fuses by the battery, not something you can find at the convenience store.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
I have an emergency basket with jumper cables, extra oil and distilled water and some other stuff, I have yet to use it for my car. I did need to use the cables to jump someone else.

As for the fuses, you should already have some spare ones where you have the fuses unless you've already used them.
Mine did not come with any extra fuses.

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Very rare failures. Haven't heard of anyone here or other sites having trouble with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m911gt View Post
Mine did not come with any extra fuses.

Really? I was assuming so, all the other toyotas I've come across had them. I haven't really looked in mine.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
This is my third toyota in the past 15 years. The one item that always failed on me was the water pump. I have one in my trunk as I type. It's something that I would not recommend you fixing on the side of the road on a major highway but if you are like me and can change one in about 20 minutes, with the proper tools (a good socket set), go ahead and tackle it right then and there. It will save the money on towing and having someone else fix it. So, other than the fuses mentioned above:

~Extra water pump
~Gallon of water
~Socket wrench set
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
regal

On my Honda the waterpump was inside the engine and driven by the timing belt, I always replaced it every 60k miles when I changed the timing belt. Looks like an easier job on this Yaris. With no damn temp guage I imagine it is difficult to see the pump going bad until its too late.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

yep, just have to wait for it to screetch I guess, lol
Old 04-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
How about a fire extinguisher?
Old 04-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I might be a bit redneck but I keep jumper cables, oil filter, 4 full courts of oil, open thing of oil, windshield washer fluid, the smaller fuses, toilet paper, Windex, and paper towels.

Good point on a fire extinguisher I need to get one of them.

When I was 16 I also kept a spare carburetor, points, wires, duct tape, wire, condenser, rotor button, disruptor cap, chain, spark plugs, and alternator but I was driving a C20 beater with a 292 that had the 3 speed on the tree. I could change out a carb or alternator in 5 min in the dark, a full tune up in 10 minutes.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebob View Post
I might be a bit redneck but I keep jumper cables, oil filter, 4 full courts of oil, open thing of oil, windshield washer fluid, the smaller fuses, toilet paper, Windex, and paper towels.

Good point on a fire extinguisher I need to get one of them.

When I was 16 I also kept a spare carburetor, points, wires, duct tape, wire, condenser, rotor button, disruptor cap, chain, spark plugs, and alternator but I was driving a C20 beater with a 292 that had the 3 speed on the tree. I could change out a carb or alternator in 5 min in the dark, a full tune up in 10 minutes.
And if the coil went bad, you just put the flat head screw driver to the fender to start it. I was the same with my old Dodge truck, lol.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
And if the coil went bad, you just put the flat head screw driver to the fender to start it. I was the same with my old Dodge truck, lol.
We lived out past the sticks. I’m thinking I was about 4 miles of gravel roads to hit a back road. I didn’t break down but a few times before I got smart.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
There is a special card that you need. It's call "AAA."
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #15
OK Yaris

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by aca72 View Post
How about a fire extinguisher?
I carry one in every vehicle. I suggest you install it with a good bracket or put it under the rear cargo tray 'cause I think a flying fire extinguisher could hurt the old noggin if you ever have an accident.

Mike
OK Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Yaris View Post
I carry one in every vehicle. I suggest you install it with a good bracket or put it under the rear cargo tray 'cause I think a flying fire extinguisher could hurt the old noggin if you ever have an accident.

Mike

lol I would think so, I keep one of those $90 sets of tools with every size you can think of, and first aid kit.