Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #1
JerseyJeff84

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Why do the brakes act so weird in snow?

This is the second Winter I have experienced with my '10 Yaris sedan and we had our "first" snow on Wednesday. It was a little less than an inch, but was unexpected, thus meaning when I drove home from work at night, no road crews had been out.

While driving, in certain situations when I guess the car can't get traction, when I apply the brakes, it makes this real strong reverberating sound/feel. Has anyone else noticed this? Does it have something to do with anti-lock brakes? I've never owned a newer/modern car until this one. I also experienced the reverberating issue real bad when I turned onto a road near my house and I lost all brake power for a split second; thankfully it was later at night and no one else was on the road.

Thanks for any information.
JerseyJeff84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
wufai

Drives: Silver Yaris Sedan (4A)
Don't worry about it, it's the anti-lock brake system being enabled. Also under such condition it's best to press on the brake hard to let ABS do its work.

Don't skimp on winter tires even if your Yaris has ABS! my 07 Yaris taught me 2 things. ABS are not made equal on cars and the Yaris ABS is not the best out there, and second those all season tires wears out really realy quick if they are spinning all winter long against the snow. (ABS is enabled when it detects the tires are spinning due to lost of traction during breaking.)
wufai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Its the ABS

Wufai isn't exactly correct. ABS.stops the brakes from.locking up (and stops you from sliding) under panic breaking circumstances...or snow/ice. Don't pump your brakes

ABS wont shorten your stopping (except that you wont slide) and lets you steer while braking (which of course you can't do while locked up and sliding)

Maybe its time for winter tires if its coming on all the time with the all seasons aka NO seasons)
Old 01-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
ABS only takes effect when you lock up the brakes.
The ideal is to never lock up the brakes to begin with and purposely braking hard is foolish to say the least.
Bottom line, ABS should only take over duing a panic situation where you "slam" on the brakes, etc..
ABS shold never be a subsitue for compitent driving!

The only time my ABS kick in is when I test them buy purposely locking them up in snow like in an empy parking lot, etc.

Personally, I like the ABS on the Yaris as you never know you have it until you really need it.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
yeah looks like you're getting very little grip on your tires, and i agree with considering getting snow tires. Our ABS system is very hyperactive imo, but its nothing to worry about.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote