Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Weird starting issue

So I'm having an odd issue starting my car. I replaced the battery recently with a brand new one, as the old one was definitely toast. However, the issue I'm describing was happening before the replacement and still after it.

Basically, I turn the key to start the car, and the starter engages and turns over the engine for a moment or two. Then it stops for a moment. And then it tries again. This does not occur at all times, but perhaps 1 in 3 tries. Sometimes when it's like this it cannot start the car at all, and I must repeat putting the key in start, at which point it usually does start without trouble.

I've had this this issue mostly after I've been driving, even if it is just for a short period. I know sometimes something like this can be due to a bad fuel pump and lots of heat, but then, wouldn't the starter keep trying instead of just stopping? It's also cold as heck here and it still happens even on a short drive from being left to freeze overnight.

I've had my door open while this issue occurs and I can hear something straining, I'm guessing the starter?

When starters go bad, is this a typical way they die? If it's toast, any remove/replace guide here? I do have the factory service manual, so that's at least something. :)
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I would check the connection of the wire attached to the starter. Clean it out and put some dielectric grease on it.

Are you turning your key to start and then backing it off right away and letting the car start on its own? Or are you holding the key down to the start position until you feel it has started and then letting go of the key?

I've never had a started go on me but I'm assuming this could be a sign of a starter on its last legs.

For replacement it is located right in front of the engine behind the bumper. Just under a could bolts, disconnect the connector and remove. Shouldn't be an issue but you may want to spray something like PB blaster on the bolts since you live in the salt belt.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
shepd

Seems easy enough. I'll see if there's any issues with the wire, other than that I'll live with it until the spring (no garage so I'm not fixing anything but completely dead stuff right now).

It has a decent number of kms (235) so it's probably just worn out. I hear the third party starters are pretty bad, so I might try rebuilding this before buying a new one when I get around to it.

I have tried both holding the key in start and bumping it in start. Same results.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #4
shepd

Wanted to just come back and say I replaced the entire starter assembly (nobody seems to have parts anywhere anymore) and now everything works fine.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
good to hear. Did you go with an OEM starter? what'd it cost?
Old 03-22-2016, 02:42 PM   #6
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepd View Post
Wanted to just come back and say I replaced the entire starter assembly (nobody seems to have parts anywhere anymore) and now everything works fine.
last time (and only time) i rebuilt a starter, i got a rebuilt kit on ebay ($20-30, IIRC). it was for a saturn though.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #7
shepd

Picked up a starter at a local junkyard for $35. Cheaper than parts. :) And it's a factory original Denso 1.6 kw (cold weather package) starter so it was 100% identical. At that price no need to rebuild. I think the wire between the solenoid and the starter motor was going rotten leading to the issue. The replacement is corroded but not rotten (yet). Sprayed some oil on there in an attempt to make it last.

Ridiculously easy installation. I was putting it off because I didn't want to do it in the bad weather. Could have done it earlier. Lift the front of the car or the passenger side on a curb. Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. One 14 mm bolt on the bottom, head towards the passenger side. Another 14 mm bolt on the top (hidden, you'll have to feel for it, the bolt goes through the starter so you can feel the other end there as a guide), head towards the drivers side. Disconnect the relay signal wire (purple) with a small flathead screwdriver, then flip the cap on the starter battery wire, and use a 13 mm (or was it 10 mm?) to remove the nut holding it in place. You may need to hit the old starter with a hammer a couple of times to knock it loose from the engine. Installation is reverse of removal. Took maybe 5 minutes. Started 10 times in a row without trouble.

If you buy a used starter, clean up the bolt you'll connect the battery wire to and don't forget to apply anti-seize to the 14 mm bolts before you re-assemble everything.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:20 PM   #8
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
i agree. low miles used OEM parts is the way to go. some parts sold as "rebuilt" are just used broken parts cleaned up and marked up.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote