Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
MOTUL ECO_NERGY SYN UPDATE

Our Family changed over to syn this winter on the yaris. Its a PAO oil( which I dont like IMO) these are some general qualitative experiences:
1) I'm not loving it too much in the cold - It cranks slow. how slow re: mobil 5000?Dunno. real s-l-o-w. Just expected better for a PAO designed for cold economy.
2) Power is down at high revs. runs good when warm from idle to (guessing) 4000rpm, but try to get on the big torque peak up high - it just falls flat. Some of this may be the WIX filter - the purolator we ran last OC had the best high rpm power of the 4 filters we've run: 1 oe denso, 2 siamese denso, 3 wix, 4 purolator.
3) Car runs consistent - no stuck rings no stuck valves. Same day-to- day, notice less susceptibilty to gasoline brand changes. Almost cant tell diff - where as with the Mobil 5000 and the Purolator it was sensitive. I'm not sure this is a good thing - engine may have DETUNED itself to deal with the PAO syn vis.

I'll let you know if it blows up - but I am pulling my recommendation for the cheaper MOTUL eco-nergy 5w-30 in this application pending more research on the effects of the filter. I may solvent wash the old purolator and try it for the last 500 miles of the Motul OCI and see how different the engine feels. MAybe just the filter (though that wouldnt affect cold start cranking)

the bro.

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 01-05-2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: mobil not mobile
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
You ought to try the 300V 5W-30. I ran the Eco stuff until Motul changed the formulation about a year ago. The bottle label went from "Di-ester base" to "Synthetic" with no more mention of esters. The 300V still has a di-ester base though.
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Does it hurt to think that much?

I gave myself a headache trying to figure out which oil was best for my Yaris: Toyota oil, ENEOS, LubroMoly, Amsoil HP, Pentosynth, etc...decided to make it easy on myself and use Pennzoil Platinum (API approved, SM rated and ACEA A5/B5) and the yellow PureOne oil filter (Purolator on all the filters). I'll probably stick with the theme and switch to Pennzoil gear lube @ 50k.

Good luck with your testing

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post

I gave myself a headache trying to figure out which oil was best for my Yaris: Toyota oil, ENEOS, LubroMoly, Amsoil HP, Pentosynth, etc...decided to make it easy on myself and use Pennzoil Platinum (API approved, SM rated and ACEA A5/B5) and the yellow PureOne oil filter (Purolator on all the filters). I'll probably stick with the theme and switch to Pennzoil gear lube @ 50k.

Does the pure-one fit OK?, everything I tried other than the factory denso filter(s) has only 2 or less thread engagement on the filter to 3/4 tight, which is no good. I like Purolator but my car seems to have a very short threaded pipe that the filter screw onto. How bout yours?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:

Yeah - I WISH it was easy - but NEW car, new things to figure, so just zoning in on what works. I'm OK with the mobil clean 5000 (though I am not a EOmobil camper). Still targeting filters. I want a Purolator that fits on our car! Why is everything soooo hard?
Old 01-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
jkuchta

I have no problems with the Amsoil filter.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Does the pure-one fit OK?, everything I tried other than the factory denso filter(s) has only 2 or less thread engagement on the filter to 3/4 tight, which is no good. I like Purolator but my car seems to have a very short threaded pipe that the filter screw onto. How bout yours?
It fits as good as the Amsoil Ea (aka: a regular WIX filter w/ special media) filter did.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 01-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
It fits as good as the Amsoil Ea (aka: a regular WIX filter w/ special media) filter did.
If you could count the turns to full tight next time U do and OCI, I would REALLY appreciate the info. I gotto find out if we have to get another (longer) filter mount boss nipple.

the bro
Old 01-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
jkuchta

On mine with an Amsoil filter I'd say its a pretty standard number of turns (like 2-3 full turns to contact,and then another 1/3-1/2 to snug).
Old 01-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
1stToyota

Quote:
If you could count the turns to full tight next time U do and OCI, I would REALLY appreciate the info. I gotto find out if we have to get another (longer) filter mount boss nipple.

the bro
I'll pay close attention next time and let you know.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 01-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuchta View Post
On mine with an Amsoil filter I'd say its a pretty standard number of turns (like 2-3 full turns to contact,and then another 1/3-1/2 to snug).
Thanks. I know the Denso filters tave the base plate hole threads start just about even with the base whereas other filters are down 1/8- 3/16" depending on how the base plate is designed ( punched) and how thick the gasket is. I will say the "o-ring" style gasket onb the denso is a good feature - the filter can lip limits the gasket crush and helps prevent leaks (I just had to say _something_ good after trashing the Thailand made toyota (denso) the past few ... I plan to try the denso again next OCI - now what syn to use ... oh my brain hurts !!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #12
1stToyota

Quote:
Thanks. I know the Denso filters tave the base plate hole threads start just about even with the base whereas other filters are down 1/8- 3/16" depending on how the base plate is designed ( punched) and how thick the gasket is. I will say the "o-ring" style gasket onb the denso is a good feature - the filter can lip limits the gasket crush and helps prevent leaks (I just had to say _something_ good after trashing the Thailand made toyota (denso) the past few ... I plan to try the denso again next OCI - now what syn to use ... oh my brain hurts !!
This isn't very scientific, but I still have an AMSOIL Ea filter and the PureONE. Side-by-side the AMSOIL's base plate hole appears to be recessed down slightly more than the PureONE's, and the AMSOIL's hole is the thickness of about 3 threads, and PureONE's is about 4 threads thick.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 01-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
This isn't very scientific, but I still have an AMSOIL Ea filter and the PureONE. Side-by-side the AMSOIL's base plate hole appears to be recessed down slightly more than the PureONE's, and the AMSOIL's hole is the thickness of about 3 threads, and PureONE's is about 4 threads thick.
Thank you for the feed back, 1stT. I have a metrology lab where I work - I'll bring in a denso Yzzf2, a Wix and NAPA pro-select and measure them. It will not include gasket crush, but Ill see whtas going on. I know the yzzf2 thread is very close to the gasket surface (may the data gods confirm my eyeball). -Bro