Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
yukonjack

Drives: 07 yaris
spark plug change

has anyone had a problem going from OEM plugs which are iridium to say platimum tipped?
I am at close to 50K miles on our 07, thought it would be good to replace. already completed, but then I look back in manual and it says to use iridium tipped only?
yukonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Not sure as I am only on iridium. In the cycle world I'm with, going to iridium is the thing to do as they burn hotter. I would think that the Yaris because you run 87 octane, the hotter iridium plug keeps it firing smoothly. Maybe wrong but that's the logic I'm following.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
you can get any temp range on any plug. so, iridium doesnt have anything to do with it. and if you get too 'hot' on a plug you'll detonate. being colder is usually for nos and supercharging setups so you dont ignite until you spark...the cathode on the end of the plug gets cherry hot and transfers heat into the threads...the longer the thread the 'hotter' the plug. short threads take less time to transfer heat to the head and are 'cold' plugs

iridium lasts longer because the spark doesnt wear away the metal atoms of iridium like copper or other metals. the factory has 100k mile plugs...so when they're replaced in the factory they want the original plugs installed, being iridium. so that's one thing less the owner has to worry about with maintenance

if you want a different plug by all means get some. but unless they're not firing, you're wasting your money. a spark plug sparks or it doesnt. that's it. stick with a stock or stock replacement plug and you'll be fine. but, like i said before if you're not having problems with 'spark' you're wasting your money
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
yukonjack

Drives: 07 yaris
Ok, thanks for input,
the reasons I wanted to replace:
yea I know the modern plugs are designed to last a long time, but I don't think it is a good idea for plugs to stay in that long (100K) with out some kind of PM.

* plugs did come out hard, glad I removed to at least clean or replace rather than wait till 100K. original antisieze seemed to be minimal.
* replaced air filter also, of course.

I felt mileage was down, but I do drive the car harder than wife.
* one of my concerns, reason I posted, I am no expert on modern computer controlled emissions, did not really know all the effects of using a different type of spark plug might do to the ECU mapping.
Felt there may be some adverse effect on the performance or worse, casue some damage, maybe just paranoia
yukonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
You might want to clean your MAF if you feel the mileage is down. Mine only had 15000 on it and I did it yesterday. Vehicle seems to have more pep. Be sure and use the proper cleaner. I got CRC MAF cleaner from Advanced Auto. Also use care when removing the 2 screws holding it down, they can be in there tight and easily stripped with the wrong type screwdriver. I replaced mine with 2 allen head cap screws.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
use anti-seize on the maf screws. and any screw you take off from here on out...

anti-seize everything....but not too excessively especially for spark plugs. only where the threads are in the head....about 1/2" from the very top or from the crush gasket.

also, if you have problems taking out the plugs you can run some fuel system cleaner in there several times before you think you may be taking htem out. also, you could run to a maintenance shop that runs wynn's cleaner systems and kill the fuel pressure and run that in the fuel line until it dies...that'll clean the carbon off the threads and make it easier to pull plugs. learned that on ford and their amazing new 5.4l engines.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
krusty

Drives: 2010 Yaris ce
It's not a good idea to run anything but Iridium tipped plug as the ignition system and fuel system is designed for that style of plug anything else you risk the chance of setting miss fire codes.
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty View Post
It's not a good idea to run anything but Iridium tipped plug as the ignition system and fuel system is designed for that style of plug anything else you risk the chance of setting miss fire codes.
I agree.
I'm sure the ECM is setup to decide it's actions on these iridiums as a baseline to calculate parameters....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Nothing is better than iridium plugs for our puoposes and they are only a couple of dollars more.

Iridiums have benefits that out weight that added cost even when not including the longer life.

The yaris is optimized for iridium plugs.

So, why get anything else?
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I use Platinum +4s, no problems for about 10k kms so far. In fact, no problems at all.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
ibanezjeepguy

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
I use Platinum +4s, no problems for about 10k kms so far. In fact, no problems at all.
no problems yet. I work in parts store and these are the junkiest plugs, they have the most come-backs of any other plug. Stick with OEM recommended iridium, it lasts so much longer than platinum and the smaller electrode you can find the more consistent the spark will be throughout the RPM band ensuring proper burn and even cylinder pressure cycles.
ibanezjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #12
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezjeepguy View Post
no problems yet. I work in parts store and these are the junkiest plugs, they have the most come-backs of any other plug. Stick with OEM recommended iridium, it lasts so much longer than platinum and the smaller electrode you can find the more consistent the spark will be throughout the RPM band ensuring proper burn and even cylinder pressure cycles.
100% agree!
I was a Saturn Forum regular and we told everybody there that those plugs are sheet and made the Satty cars run real BAD......
Just trust Toyota's engineers and go Iridium or leave it alone.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #13
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Regardless of brand?
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote