Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
07dirtyaris
&

Drives: meteorite metal 07 Hatch
budget B Spec rally build slowly coming along

To start off this is going to be a slow build.Im building my car to run in Rally America and NASA Rally events. Im building it to the B Spec production class of Rally America.
Ive had the car since the end of 06. I loved the car as much then as I do now. I grew up in the country and would have some fun on some of the winding gravel roads. Always though it would be awesome to change her into a full fledged rally car.
In December I got bored sitting around the house, so I cranked the heater up and started ripping everything out of the interior.

Stripped interior.jpg
I proceeded to herculine the entire bottom of the enterior. I like it a lot, but it was a bad idea to do. black in the summer with no AC sucks.

herculined.jpg

My interior was feeling pretty bare and empty in there, and I was bored so I got some Nürburg orange custom paint to paint interior trim pieces(9k5 off a Nürburgring edition Lexus LFA) to brighten it all up. Ill have to black it out in the end for the glare on stage, but I like it for daily driving.

interior orange.jpg

In March I went to South Carolina to volunteer for the NASA Rally Sport's Sandblast Rally. I would suggest anybody if you have never done it volunteer for a race, it is long days but its what keeps motorsports going and is an extreme amount of fun! I had also planned on while I was down there buying a GTI from one of the drivers, didnt pan out but thats fine. In the hotel room next to me was one of the racers. We got to talking one of the evenings about his car(Subie on steroids!) he saw my car and saw that it was stripped out. He said 'sh*t your car is already started, you should finish it up and rally it. Id love to see more Toyotas in rallying in the US'. After that conversation is when I finally decided to work towards building it into a logbooked rally car.

I had the cash I was going to spend on buying the GTI, so I bought some OMP TRS-E seats. I knew sitting in my bucket seats everyday would keep giving me the motivation to spend all my money on the build!!

OMP seats.jpg

After I got the seats in. I decided to get my steering wheel in. I got a OMP WRC steering wheel with NRG short hub and NRG 3.0 quick release

steering wheel interior.jpg

Still with the money I had saved for the GTI I was able to get a set of wheels and tires. I wasnt planning on getting wheels, just running a cheap set of miata wheels whenever I was getting close to time to race it. I was just randomly looking around for a new set of winter tires since the season was up and people would have them up cheaper. I was able to find a set of Oz Superturismo WRC wheels with some nice Blizztak tires. I got the rims and tires cheaper than I could have just gotten the tires so I couldnt pass up on that offer, and I got a set of my favorite wheels ! Once they went on I saw that I needed to go ahead and do my mud flaps since they are required and my wheels needed some company. I got Rally Armor mudflaps, they were the universal ones. They were a b*tch to put on! I am good at installing something unless I have to make it symetrical with something else. I cant tell you how many times I had to remeasure to make sure it was exact. I still ended up being about 1/8th off. You cant really notice, but I know it is there, oh well it is good enough. Its a racecar not a showcar.

Wheels and Mudflaps.jpg

Life got in the way for a while, but in the past couple months I have gotten a couple things done to it.

I got the OBX racing cat delete exhaust. I have installed it and it is not too bad, a little loud, but not bad if you arent getting on it! I got a BLOX racing 02 non fouler, at just over 2000 miles no CEL thrown. Ive got a video up on youtube where you can hear it. https://youtu.be/Pd999uXGkEA . You can also see what I named my car on that video!! My final plan with the exhaust is to put on my Vibrant resonator, delete the muffler and put my high flow magnaflow Cat on the end where the muffler was.

Exhaust side by side.jpg

Around the same time I added a lightbar to the front of her. I went with 32 inch LED 180W. It does a pretty good job. It goes out about as far as the brights do, but lights it up like it is the sun. If I were expecting to be faster I would want farther reach, but for me it will work. It was pretty straight foward to wire up. The mounting gave me a bit of troubles at first due to the angles in the hood I was going to place it. I didnt have anything at the house so I made a trip to WM. I was walking up and down each isle looking for a good hard rubber i could cut to fit. I found a 3m sanding block, it worked out perfect. It was angled for your hand almost exactly perfect to match up with the hoods angle. So far so good after 2 months, we will see how the rubber holds up over time. I plan on taking it off and putting plugs in the holes, but it is awesome the looks I get and the conversations that are started because of that light.
Lightbar off.jpg
Lightbar on.jpg

When I was wiring the lightbar I also deleted my ignition and put in a switch panel with push start and an OMP 6 pole master kill switch. Ill put up a better pic of the switches when its painted, I dont really have the dash together all the way because I know I am going to take off the panel and paint it, and secure my wiring a little bit in the back.
I have to give credit to CTScott for helping me on how to do different things to my car, Thank you!! He answered several questions on setting up my kill switch(PM me if you would like the info). His DIY guide on how to wire the remote start let me know which wires to do what with on rewiring the ignition. Ill let you figure it out I dont want to teach somebody to hotwire a car, they can figure it out on their own.
dohttp://www.yarisworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30944&d=1261973149

Switch panel not painted.jpg

I have done random other things that I dont have on here, that I will update over time.
Check out my instagram @jatitzer. I am going to eventually have a lot of pictures of my build on there, along with some other random adventures!

Future plans til ready to Rally!:
The RA roll cage, I am in the process of saving up for this now. If anybody knows anyone good close to me in Louisville KY shoot me a PM and let me know.

I am an automatic at the moment. I have all the parts to swap it to manual except the gearbox(in the process of getting at a good price!) and the VIN programmed ECM

IF anybody has suggestions on suspensions I would like to hear them. Ive got my ideas, but i'd like other peoples opinions.

What would be the best budget suggestion on a piggyback for the ECU.

Roof vent: any suggestions on a scoop that fits the curve of our hood would be helpful.

Different safety equip like fire extinguishers, triangles, etc..

I will keep updated as I go through the build.
07dirtyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:49 AM   #2
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
Nice. This is something i will be following for sure! Whats the deal with the suspension?

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Awesome
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
Squid111999

Drives: 08 Yaris hatch
Followed on instagram

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Squid111999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
07dirtyaris
&

Drives: meteorite metal 07 Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspro View Post
Nice. This is something i will be following for sure! Whats the deal with the suspension?
I was just wanting to hear different people's ideas on a good gravel suspension. I'm leaning toward hot bits since they are good price pretty good quality and I could afford a spare set.

I put my cat on my exhaust today. I cut the muffler and put it there. Im putting the resonator on tomorrow, I wanted to hear the straight pipe with just the cat for a day. F*ck is it loud. Not just loud, I think it has 3 drones in the rpm range. It is embaressingly loud and annoying right now, I don't know why I expected any different!
07dirtyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07dirtyaris View Post
I was just wanting to hear different people's ideas on a good gravel suspension. I'm leaning toward hot bits since they are good price pretty good quality and I could afford a spare set.

I put my cat on my exhaust today. I cut the muffler and put it there. Im putting the resonator on tomorrow, I wanted to hear the straight pipe with just the cat for a day. F*ck is it loud. Not just loud, I think it has 3 drones in the rpm range. It is embaressingly loud and annoying right now, I don't know why I expected any different!
You literally showed up at the right time my friend! I am also contemplating a rallycross build, not sure yet if im going to go with an echo hatchback or a yaris hatchback but ive got the cash in hand to source a used one and some extra to invest in long travel rally suspension and armor. I have already contacted hotbits to see what they can do for me for both platforms so im just waiting to hear back from them. I say go with hotbits, they seem to be the best bang for your buck and they produce a quality over time product (or so ive read)

I currently have both a yaris hatch and an echo hatch in the family that we have owned since new so i know these cars inside and out.

I want to go with the echo because, theyre cheaper used and also things like no trac control, its lighter, no electric steering, cable operated throttle body and just seems like its built better (stronger)... The only problem is getting performance parts for them is difficult.

The yaris has an abundance of aftermarket support for bracing, suspension, engine mods and its newer and better looking. But electric steering and throttle body, trac control, annoying seat belt modules etc make me want to stay away... I know they are small things but things i will avoid if i can.

I will be in touch with you regarding your build as i may need to pick your brain a little. Keep us updated and in the loop!

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:36 PM   #7
X-WingYaris

Drives: Toyota
I know this is an older thread but are there any updates to this build?
X-WingYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:04 PM   #8
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
updateeeeeee 😡😡😡😡

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
Electric: Volt Stablizer & Multi gauge obd2
Cosmetic: Toyota red emblem
rabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #9
ferdinandy

Drives: Yaris'