Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #1
klej89

Drives: Yaris
Flashing dash when engine is OFF

Hi,

I have a Toyota Yaris II 2011 that has problem with flashing dash (speed-,tachometer pointer and high coolant temperatur indicator) when engine is OFF.
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=7E8AA...%21103&o=OneUp

Sorry for poor English.
klej89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Wow! That is strange. The items flashing are controlled by the microcontroller of the cluster, so it may be an internal problem with it. Check the two connectors to make sure they are plugged in tightly, just in case.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:39 PM   #3
klej89

I checked this two connectors (16 and 24 pin) - all look fine. Indicator and pointers stop flashing when I pulled out and put on again after a few minutes the 7,5 Amp fuse ECU-B (some sort of reset?). Unfortunately, after a few days the problem returns... After starting the engine, everything looks good, indicator and rest do not flashing.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by klej89 View Post
I checked this two connectors (16 and 24 pin) - all look fine. Indicator and pointers stop flashing when I pulled out and put on again after a few minutes the 7,5 Amp fuse ECU-B (some sort of reset?). Unfortunately, after a few days the problem returns... After starting the engine, everything looks good, indicator and rest do not flashing.
The ECU-B fuse feeds constant power to various ECUs, including the cluster's microcontroller, so that makes sense that pulling it would temporarily clear the issue.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
klej89

I found the solution to my problem.
On pin 1, black wire, plug right (power supply of meter after ignition) appeared voltage when the engine was turned off.
12 V when the plug was pulled out.
8-7 V when the plug is connected.
Unfortunately, the power scheme does not agree with the "2007 Yaris Factory Repair Manual", probably because I have a start-stop system.
I cut off the old wire and connected to pin 1 new wire supplied directly from the IG2 relay (15A fuse AM2). For now everything looks good.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by klej89 View Post
I found the solution to my problem.
On pin 1, black wire, plug right (power supply of meter after ignition) appeared voltage when the engine was turned off.
12 V when the plug was pulled out.
8-7 V when the plug is connected.
Unfortunately, the power scheme does not agree with the "2007 Yaris Factory Repair Manual", probably because I have a start-stop system.
I cut off the old wire and connected to pin 1 new wire supplied directly from the IG2 relay (15A fuse AM2). For now everything looks good.
Pin 1 should be ignition switched power, even on your European Yaris with start/stop. With that wire having some power on it when the car is powered off, I would be concerned about something dragging the battery down, when it should not be drawing current.

Do you have any aftermarket electrical system modifications?
Old 03-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #7
klej89

I do not have any modifications of the electrical system.
I know that on this pin should not be voltage with the engine off.

I have three basic problems:

1) On the back of the Instrument Panel J/B I have three sockets
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=7E8AA...%21103&o=OneUp
In the schematic in the "2007 Yaris Factory Repair Manual" There are four sockets ...

2) I checked for continuity from pin 4 sockets 4F (Front Instrument Panel J/B) to pin 1 of a plug meter (MET 7.5A fuse was inserted) - there is no continuity (according to the scheme should be).

3) I can not remove the instrument panel because I can not unscrew the two bolts from the passenger air bag. For this reason, I do not have good access to Instrument Panel J/B and all the cables.

For these three reasons, at the moment I made a new wire to the power meter.