Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-29-2017, 12:22 AM   #1
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Oil change interval

Funny enough, my owner manual has a page to log maintenance and what not, but doesn't state the engine oil change interval, despite giving me the fancy details about piston clearances, etc.

Been doing them every 8k km since I bought the car 1-1/2 year ago, along with the filter. Is 10k km a stretch when the oil on the dip stick at 8k km isn't looking that bad ? Using brand name synthetic oil and the Napa Gold filter.

Oh, and I've been running 5w20 since my previous oil change in January to see how the engine would do during the colder months we get here. It's been as good if not better than the 5w30 oil, but definitively haven't noticed anything bad. I'm about 600km short of hitting the 8k oil change interval, and we're in the heat of the summer. Again the engine runs just fine on the 5w20 despite the hot weather.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:24 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I believe it's every 5k miles for oil changes??? I'm using Amsoil, so I'm changing it every 15k (I could do 25k, but their filter is only good for 15k, so I might as well change the oil too if I'm down there).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:25 AM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Also, you can't go by how the oil looks on the dipstick. Oil will darken quickly, which is normal. If you can find WIX filters in your area, I'd use those instead as Napa Gold Filters are no longer made by WIX.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:28 AM   #4
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
It also depends on how and where your Yaris is used. Lots of short trips or extreme conditions will need tje oil changed at more frequent intervals.

The service book here in Australia calls for 10000 km or 6 months between changes, whichever comes first.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:41 AM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Funny enough, my owner manual has a page to log maintenance and what not, but doesn't state the engine oil change interval, despite giving me the fancy details about piston clearances, etc.

Been doing them every 8k km since I bought the car 1-1/2 year ago, along with the filter. Is 10k km a stretch when the oil on the dip stick at 8k km isn't looking that bad ? Using brand name synthetic oil and the Napa Gold filter.

Oh, and I've been running 5w20 since my previous oil change in January to see how the engine would do during the colder months we get here. It's been as good if not better than the 5w30 oil, but definitively haven't noticed anything bad. I'm about 600km short of hitting the 8k oil change interval, and we're in the heat of the summer. Again the engine runs just fine on the 5w20 despite the hot weather.
The Yaris needs w30. You can try 0w30 for easier start in the winter. Though, I believe newer Yaris uses 0w20 like most other recent vehicles.

I'd stick with w30 unless you want to queeze every MPG out of it.

Oil change interval is 8k km or every 6 months according to the schedule.

I've been doing once a year/25000km for the past 3-4 years with AmsOil 0w30 and their EK oil filter, although I only do 13000km at most. I switch back to 5w30 last year and a Toyota filter.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
jra

Drives: 2015 yaris L
I think 8000km is about 5000 miles, you could most likely go 25 or 30000 miles before the additive package in the oil is gone, the oil it's self doesn't wear out. I change mine every 3 to 4000 miles, to keep it clean, clean oil is very cheap maintenance,
jra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Before i swapped in my 2zr I was up to 18k km OCI's as per UOA's.

I just changed my oil now so I'll post up my UOA when I drain it

Last edited by tmontague; 06-29-2017 at 05:38 PM.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:34 PM   #8
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I've been changing the oil when the car tells me to lol.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:33 PM   #9
David C

Thanks for all your replies

I'm not looking to start a debate, simply to understand how we get to such various results/recommendations.

As I said, my owner manual strangely doesn't state the oil change interval, however when I bought my car from it's second owner, she said he had it done every 10 000 km. I've done my first change at almost 12 000km, then second one at little less than 8 000km and now I'm at 8 200 km and about to go outside and change the oil for the third time. If we consider the driving conditions Toyota used in their interval specifications, I feel like the consensus is between 8 000km and 10 000km interval. However some of you mentioned going twice as much if not more using specific oils and filters. In my case I use synthetic brand name oil and (fair?) filters, so I believe I would fall into the 8 000km interval category, cost me $30 on oil and $10 on filter, so far I hit the mark every 6 months or so, aka I'd spend about $80 per year and the self labor of two oil change.

Would there be any benefit and reason I should go beyond the "regular" interval and use different oil/filter ? Please explain if so. Thanks
Old 07-31-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Quote:
I'm not looking to start a debate, simply to understand how we get to such various results/recommendations.

As I said, my owner manual strangely doesn't state the oil change interval, however when I bought my car from it's second owner, she said he had it done every 10 000 km. I've done my first change at almost 12 000km, then second one at little less than 8 000km and now I'm at 8 200 km and about to go outside and change the oil for the third time. If we consider the driving conditions Toyota used in their interval specifications, I feel like the consensus is between 8 000km and 10 000km interval. However some of you mentioned going twice as much if not more using specific oils and filters. In my case I use synthetic brand name oil and (fair?) filters, so I believe I would fall into the 8 000km interval category, cost me $30 on oil and $10 on filter, so far I hit the mark every 6 months or so, aka I'd spend about $80 per year and the self labor of two oil change.

Would there be any benefit and reason I should go beyond the "regular" interval and use different oil/filter ? Please explain if so. Thanks

The owners manual doesn't include the oil change interval because it's in a separate scheduled maintaince guide. Here's a pdf of the guide for a US 07 Yaris:

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...yMS_MS0010.pdf

The official number is 6 months or 5000 miles / 8000 km whichever comes first. This is for regular dino oil, with full synthetic there is no separate recommendation but many cars in Europe have official synthetic intervals well over 15,000 km. So I think you could easily go with 15,000 km on full synthetic. Don't worry about oil and oil filter brands, the OE filter is just a plain jane screw on paper media deal. Spending lots of money on high end name brand filers and oil is just a waste of money unless you're racing or planning very long service intervals.

The official oil weight is 5W30 with 10W30 being allowed only in warm months. This recommendation has now been revised by Toyota as all manufactures are switching to very thin oil for max fuel economy (and CAFE numbers). So the Yaris now can officially use 5W30, 5W20, and 0W20.

B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:42 PM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:

There are no beneficial reasons to extend oil changes except saving money.

Like I said, I did once a year oil changes, but I don't do more than 13k km a year, and I am also using premium oil such as Amsoil.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #12
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
There are other reasons to extend the OCI. Realistcally I don't save a whole lot of cash as I used M1 or ultra platinum and even on sale it's not cheap.

I save a bit more than if I was to use cheap conventional oil and change every 8k km as per the owners manual.

Main reason I extend the OCI is the following:
-less time spent under a car doing simple boring oil changes, I drive a lot of km's per week and I'd rather spend my time under a car doing other modifications that interest me vs an oil change.

-is rather run a more expensive oil that handles the weather extremes better and change it less than spend less money on a less versatile oil and change it more

-my UOA's state it can handle 18k km without an issue So I see no point it dumping good oil down the drain (figuratively)

Just my thoughts
Old 07-31-2017, 08:30 PM   #13
David C

Thanks you. My oil change plan came to an end due to unexpected rain today, so I'll reflect on what you said and wait for another sunny day.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #14
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Also, you can't go by how the oil looks on the dipstick. Oil will darken quickly, which is normal. If you can find WIX filters in your area, I'd use those instead as Napa Gold Filters are no longer made by WIX.

The ones I bought from my local Napa in Montreal in January 2017 both said "Made in USA" on the box and filter. Since I did my second oil change of the year today, I'm out of those Napa Gold filters. When I drive by the Napa store next time, I'll check if the ones they have in stock still say made in USA.

Regarding WIX filters, does WIX have a high end and low end filters series or all WIX filters are the same ?
Old 08-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #15
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
I do the 6-monthly oil change, using synthetic oil (bought when on sale). Both my 2006 Toyotas have very high mileage, and run flawlessly.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typpos.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #16
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
In the conditions that I live in, I'm doing 5k full-synthetic oil changes as of my 25K service (which I did last month). Not like full-synthetic costs that more more than traditional/dino high quality oil. I'm also changing out both paper air filters every early-spring.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #17
chrisgblues

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
My 2007 Yaris is now 10 years old (I can do math :) and engine still purrs like a kitten. I've been using regular 5w30 and changing religioulsy every 5,000km or roughly 3,000 miles. I only put on about 15,000 km per year so about 3 oil changes annually. Mostly stop and go city driving.

I go by Scotty Kilmer's wise words "Engines are expensive, oil is cheap. Change it."

Works for me, not trying to debate anyone, but that's my experience.
chrisgblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #18
scylla

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
By watching for sales at Napa I can easily buy their house brand full synthetic 5w30 plus a Toyota oil filter from Amazon for around $20 total.

I put less than 5k miles every 6 months, but it is a no brainer to do it twice a year at $20.
Some people spend more than that on pizza every week.
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote