Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Southwest
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #127
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septembersrain View Post
San Antonio in the house!!!
I hope you, Mad Max, and other members in San Antonio are staying safe and relatively dry in spite of some flash floods there in SA. I heard earlier on Saturday that some houses had 4 feet of water in them and then a couple of hours ago I heard your mayor announce (IIRC re the numbers) that some places had received 9 inches of rain in 15 hours .

In 2007 I was driving my Yaris back to Califorrnia (after a trip to Florida, etc) and scheduled a particular dat to check out Houston (staying the night before and after so I would have a full day). I arrived in Houston, spent the night, and planned to spend that next day getting more familiar with areas that had been recommended to me by friends who now live in California. Unfortunately, that day ended up being the day Tropical Storm Erin occurred. My hotel was in the worst hit section of the city (11 inches of rain) and I stayed inside my hotel all day....so I know how wet some of your city is right now (It was much easier for me though, as all of my belongings were still dry in California)....and it's so localized......240+ miles away here and not a drop!
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #128
MadMax
 
MadMax's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas!
Posts: 2,833
Thanks Nook, we survived although some folks were really hit hard by the rain!

I worked a police volunteer patrol on the north side of town when the rain hit on Friday, things were a real mess!

Afterward it took me nearly two hours to get home, which is normally a half-hour drive at the most. I finally ended up heading north outside the city about six miles, then west until I could find some open road to get back south to the NW side of SA where I live.

I still saw a lot of accidents; mostly vehicles off the road because the drivers were going too fast for conditions.

And even driving a Jeep (I almost took my Yaris, as the prediction wasn't nearly as bad as it turned out to be. I'm glad I took my Jeep!), I take it easy when there is so much water on the roads. I had idiots passing by me not only sending water spraying in all directions, but most likely hydroplaning due to their speed as well. What was worse were the number of morons driving in such bad visibility with no lights on.

I've seen people driving in heavy rains with their hazards on, but when you get next to them they're on their cell phone. That drives me crazy.

The bottom line is avoid the roads if possible anytime it rains that bad here, and if you can't try to find routes that are less congested as you have a better chance the less idiots there are on the road. Also, whatever you do, don't try to cross any flooded roadways!

I think it was the third or even second heaviest rain ever recorded in SA!

Cheers! M2
__________________
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #129
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Thanks Nook, we survived although some folks were really hit hard by the rain!

I worked a police volunteer patrol on the north side of town when the rain hit on Friday, things were a real mess!

Afterward it took me nearly two hours to get home, which is normally a half-hour drive at the most. I finally ended up heading north outside the city about six miles, then west until I could find some open road to get back south to the NW side of SA where I live.

I still saw a lot of accidents; mostly vehicles off the road because the drivers were going too fast for conditions.

And even driving a Jeep (I almost took my Yaris, as the prediction wasn't nearly as bad as it turned out to be. I'm glad I took my Jeep!), I take it easy when there is so much water on the roads. I had idiots passing by me not only sending water spraying in all directions, but most likely hydroplaning due to their speed as well. What was worse were the number of morons driving in such bad visibility with no lights on.

I've seen people driving in heavy rains with their hazards on, but when you get next to them they're on their cell phone. That drives me crazy.

The bottom line is avoid the roads if possible anytime it rains that bad here, and if you can't try to find routes that are less congested as you have a better chance the less idiots there are on the road. Also, whatever you do, don't try to cross any flooded roadways!

I think it was the third or even second heaviest rain ever recorded in SA!

Cheers! M2
Wow. We had a sprinkle here in the early daylight this morning, but it only lasted for a few minutes.

With all of the growth taking place in the Texas Urban Triangle, more people who use cell phones in an intelligent manner are moving in...but more 'idiot cell phone users' are likely moving in as well. I just hope we don't reach the level of 'cell phone idiocy' (re driving) that I've seen and heard others talk about in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties in Florida.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #130
speedysilver
 
Drives: pocket rocket
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: texas
Posts: 7
recently joined the yaris fanatics and bought me an 08 3dr hatch and I'm in Austin!
speedysilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #131
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣
 
Septembersrain's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 249
Hi Speedy. I'm in San Antonio and visit Austin every few months. ^_^
__________________
╩╗
Don't be a drip. ◄~(¬ _¬)~
Septembersrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #132
MadMax
 
MadMax's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas!
Posts: 2,833
Howdy Speedy! We were just up in Austin the weekend before last at Camp Mabry. I am actually surprised that we didn't see more Yarii given Austin's college environment and more liberal leanings...

Don't get me wrong, I love the town but it does have a certain "attitude" as compared to SA.

Hopefully we can all meet up one of these days. The other "car" club I'm in, Jeep Nation, has some really fun events and I don't see why we couldn't do the same. One game we played at the more recent one was "blind driver," where the driver was blindfolded and maneuvered through a small obstacle course under the direction of a spotter in the passenger seat. I think we could do the same with a tightly-coned off track in a large parking area or similar location.

Cheers! M2
__________________
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #133
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣
 
Septembersrain's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 249
Speaking of seeing more Yaris around, I've been noticing a few more in SA.
Yesterday at Academy I was parked next to 3 of them!
One was a sedan and the other two were HB like mine.
Two were white (HB and Sedan), One was blue. I was like.. Where is the red one?

I agree, Austin has it's own genre of people.
Most seem like young gits to me though.
Not that I should say that when I'm only 28!
__________________
╩╗
Don't be a drip. ◄~(¬ _¬)~
Septembersrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #134
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~
 
yarisugi's Avatar
 
Drives: Me: Nuts:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ハワイ
Posts: 2,049
what is a git?
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #135
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣
 
Septembersrain's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 249
I'm sorry. It's an old term my mom used to use.
It means "Kid like, Immature, Acts like a know-it-all, etc"
__________________
╩╗
Don't be a drip. ◄~(¬ _¬)~
Septembersrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #136
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septembersrain View Post
Where is the red one?


This is Texas, after all .

Quote:
Austin
I enjoy visiting, but I wouldn't want to live there. Parts of it remind me (in less than stellar ways) of Berkeley, California.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #137
speedysilver
 
Drives: pocket rocket
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: texas
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septembersrain View Post
Hi Speedy. I'm in San Antonio and visit Austin every few months. ^_^
I've been in Austin long enough to know people with Yaris's don't modify them nor are concerned with joining any group. Most of the car groups here are domestics mostly vette's, euro, few imports like infiniti, subies, 350z's which all of them I belonged too at point in my life. The scene isn't as big as SA or HTown or Dtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Howdy Speedy! We were just up in Austin the weekend before last at Camp Mabry. I am actually surprised that we didn't see more Yarii given Austin's college environment and more liberal leanings...

Don't get me wrong, I love the town but it does have a certain "attitude" as compared to SA.

Hopefully we can all meet up one of these days. The other "car" club I'm in, Jeep Nation, has some really fun events and I don't see why we couldn't do the same. One game we played at the more recent one was "blind driver," where the driver was blindfolded and maneuvered through a small obstacle course under the direction of a spotter in the passenger seat. I think we could do the same with a tightly-coned off track in a large parking area or similar location.

Cheers! M2
Yeah hope to meet y'all one of these days. I have big plans for my pocket rocket even though it's my DD. I'll share some pics of my previous and current rides.
speedysilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #138
Saint
 
Drives: 2011 toyota yaris
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 15
Hi Techmoe,

I am a 70yrs old man from Fort Worth and I have a 2011 Yaris hatchback. Wondering where you guys meet so that I can drop in and be able to meet all you wonderful guys who own this great little car.
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #139
joe keeney
 
Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
Join Date: May 2007
Location: hemphill texas
Posts: 194
I run 185 65 15 on the front & 195 65 15 on the rear.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEWS: TOYOTA REVEALS ALL-NEW YARIS SEDAN AT 2006 LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW VitzBoy General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 5 09-05-2010 08:53 PM
2007 Yaris Pricing Info ! YarisBueller New YARIS Purchase Forum 104 06-24-2009 04:54 PM
Yaris Car Club? New York Area xfatefailsx07 NY / NJ/ CT / PA 44 04-17-2007 06:58 PM
Greetings from the Hellenic Yaris Club Katana General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 2 08-07-2006 05:16 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.