Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #19
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Yeah, I do. Driving both is going to be interesting. For the first day, my eyes 'went to the center AC/Heat vents' because that is the location of the Speedometer, etc. on the 2nd Gen. I've also reached out, multiple times, with a beverage in my left hand to put it in front of the left AC/Heat vent . My brain must sense 'fitment into a holder or not', as I haven't yet let go of a beverage during such futile reaches into thin air. I really like the front of the center console on the 3rd Gen, and the clearance it has under the dash. My new Yaris did come with a 1 USB 12v plug, but I ended up buying a 2 USB 12v plug at Wal-Mart for $12 something plus tax. I can now put a beverage in the right front cup holder, put a phone in the left cup holder, and another phone in the space behind those two holders. I use those really thin retractable USB cables with each phone...so I can now charge two phones at once with no fuss, plus hold a beverage, all without worrying about any of that falling out of where it has been placed.
I just noticed that with the way the center of the dash is designed in my 2014, the fitment/particular profile of the glove compartment, and my use of the spaghetti/retractable USB cables, I can charge both of those phones (mentioned above) with the phones in the glove compartment....leaving both center front cup holders free, and allowing 3 devices to be placed in the glove compartment with all of them charging.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #20
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
I just noticed that with the way the center of the dash is designed in my 2014, the fitment/particular profile of the glove compartment, and my use of the spaghetti/retractable USB cables, I can charge both of those phones (mentioned above) with the phones in the glove compartment....leaving both center front cup holders free, and allowing 3 devices to be placed in the glove compartment with all of them charging.
< (Insert Phone)
HOW MANY phones do you have in your car, 3???
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #21
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
< (Insert Phone)
HOW MANY phones do you have in your car, 3???
I have 4 cell phones. 3 of them are smart phones. I have 2 connected phone lines, one on the non smart phone and one on one of the smart phones. I don't have a data plan on the connected smart phone. One of the smart phones that isn't connected is a ZTE Flash. The battery door broke on my little point and shoot, and another cheap point and shoot cost almost as much as the ZTE Flash. The ZTE Flash was marked down from 279.00 to 99.00 as a Kroger 'card' purchase. It is for their iWireless network, but I never have intended to activate it. I bought it just for the camera....at 12MP, etc. it comes prette close to the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and its competitors. The other smart phone that isn't connected is a Nokia E5. I mainly bought that phone because it is the only phone I'm aware of that has 'non cellular data GPS mapping' which allows for map/directions use through a GPS technology that doesn't use cellular data/a cell signal, so you don't have to have a data plan or even a connected line. It also has an FM radio and other neat features I like. The connected smartphone I have is the first generation (?) AT&T Fusion (GSM) and the non smart phone I have is the Verizon Cosmos 3 (CDMA). Sometimes in rural areas I'll get a CDMA signal, but not a GSM signal. Sometimes vice versa. Over the years, I've found it great to have both. These networks have been replaced by newer, faster networks...but the prepaid plans are still on these networks. I'm like you, I usually only turn onr of those two phones on to make a call...otherwise off. I might spend an entire day making calls, but then go days without making a call, so flat rate per day prepaid works best for me. One of my lines has a Texas area code, and the other a California area code, so the maximum number of people can call and leave a message without any cost to them (I have older relatives who don't have cell phones). I disconnected the land line in my house in California in the early 2000s because I never used it. I haven't had a landline since. I also have a Fuji FinePix S8200 40x optical zoom camera. I also have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ27 camera, but the charger mount for the proprietary battery sometimes doesn't work.

P.S. I usually use the alarm, and the calculator (for MPG figuring ), on the Verizon Cosmos 3.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 08-18-2014 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:39 PM   #22
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
You can flip through the songs using the little 'arrow knob' on the stereo. The performer/band/singer/group & song name comes up on the little screen.
Great! I think this shows that you have the same stereo/head unit that I have. IIRC, some USDM 3rd Gen Yari have a head unit that is a level below and doesn't have the above features.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #23
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
What!?! Im shocked shocked youve seen reason to buy a new Yaris with only ~200k on your present one!

JUST KIDDING!

We motorcyclists do "fly and rides" to get exactly the bike we want and I see no reason car buyers cant to the same thing if it comes down to it. Especially getting that deal! I flew from Philly to Houston to get my 2004 Honda ST1300 with less than 3000 miles on it for $6995. The local dealer had the exact same bike with 30,000 miles on it for $7000. so I saved five bucks!

I wish you many miles of safe motoring!
I don't get why more people don't do this, especially with the many national car selling websites. It is the best way to get a good deal.

Quote:
Thanks. Some USB powered hard drives (generally with files stored in FAT32 or NTFS, not the HFS+ that Apple uses) balk when connected to some car head units if the drive's total capacity is above a certain size. I remember this being discussed a year + ago on another thread, but iPod capacity wasn't discussed on that thread. I'm glad, though, that you mentioned that an iPod works from that location. I definitely plan to do the same thing. I've put off buying an iPod until I move all my music to Texas, hoping the maximum capacity would increase. I'll start a thread and see if any members have hooked up the 160 GB iPod, and if so if any issues have arisen.
The 160 gb ipod is a total waste of money. If you really want to store that much music you should just get a real hard drive. Give Sqcomp a pm and I am sure there are many headunits that would support a 1tb hard drive, which can be had in super duty form for less than $100.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #24
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I don't get why more people don't do this, especially with the many national car selling websites. It is the best way to get a good deal.

The 160 gb ipod is a total waste of money. If you really want to store that much music you should just get a real hard drive. Give Sqcomp a pm and I am sure there are many headunits that would support a 1tb hard drive, which can be had in super duty form for less than $100.

It is not always easy to browse through a mass storage device (usb) while most HU will have an easy to browse menu or you can directly browse from the iPod.

An issue I have with my JVC HU is every time I start the car, the hdd doesn't power up fast enough to be readable, so nothing plays until I select the USB port again.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #25
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Wish I'd seen this earlier.

You could have gotten MT and ID off your bucket-list; and saved $4k on a Gen3.

Mine.

Enjoy. Elsewhere, someone commented how Yaris sales are dropping as Yaris owners are getting older and young people are not being recruited. Well, that's me...frankly, at my age, I'm tired of driving. Delighted I'm only going four miles in to work. And a Yaris isn't what I need anymore.

Enjoy these quality small cars while they're still around.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #26
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Yep. Thumbs up to roxy1 for including a link to the cars.com inventory search engine that can do a nationwide search (and for advice just before my purchase). IIRC, tooter and a few other members have traveled at least a few hundred miles to get the equipment and the deal they desired.

Quote:
I'd rather not get an alarm....so I'd like to minimize any extra attention by keeping the stock head unit (even though the '14 now gets the available room in the garage ). I'd use the iPod outside the car, so I wouldn't look at it as a waste of money. If the 160GB iPod/stock head unit combo proves inadequate, then you're right, Sqcomp (and also Derick) would have the most knowledge and I would follow your suggestion. Even if I end up liking the stock head unit/iPod combo, if eventually pairing the stock head unit with the JL Audio 300/4 amp I have would be problematic, I'd also follow your suggestion.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #27
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Wish I'd seen this earlier.

You could have gotten MT and ID off your bucket-list; and saved $4k on a Gen3.

Mine.

Enjoy. Elsewhere, someone commented how Yaris sales are dropping as Yaris owners are getting older and young people are not being recruited. Well, that's me...frankly, at my age, I'm tired of driving. Delighted I'm only going four miles in to work. And a Yaris isn't what I need anymore.

Enjoy these quality small cars while they're still around.
The 'buy new, well built, and inexpensive....and drive it until it has depreciated to zero or near zero' philosophy has worked well for me for a long time. I guess I'm just too much like my late grandfather when it coms to driving. When he started his business (in the early 1930's), he made his brother (and only sibling) a junior partner. From the time my mother and my aunt were in college (and living on campus) until the late 1970s, my grandfather would leave the business in his brother's capable hands and my grandparents would spend 1-3 months a year on trips, driving around the U.S., Canada, and Mexico (my grandfather was afraid to fly and also didn't like being suspended over ground (think: chairlift)). After college, my mother (my aunt had already married) accompanied them on some of the trips...but she never did any driving. In later years, my aunt and uncle also took many such trips...and my aunt (who's also like my grandfather in this regard) did much of the driving.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #28
nookandcrannycar

I received a refund check today for $312.77 re the purchase of my 2014 Yaris. The check came from the dealer (I would have e-mailed the dealership about this had I not received a check within the next few days). The amount the dealer ended up having to pay government tax + titling authorities (Tax-Florida, Titling-Texas) ended up being less than they originally charged me (detail = today's post# 118 on Yaris Sales Hit a New Low thread). So...my out the door price ended up being $15,677.23 (not $15,990).
Old 09-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #29
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Great deal which would be dificult to score here in NJ!
Old 09-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #30
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Great deal which would be dificult to score here in NJ!
. It was definitely worth the trip (not that there were any 5 speed manuals that were really any closer )! It ended up being almost exactly $2,000 more than my 07 was new. With my '07 I paid the full factory sticker (the dealer knew they had one of only 5 manual transmission hatches in the NE U.S. with a new configuration/body style/model, and another person wandered in wanting to buy it after I was already there), plus T (higher rate) & L. With the '14, I'm sure getting the tail end of the outgoing model year (rather than the beginning of a new exterior/model name, as with the '07) helped re the overall search for the lowest price.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #31
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Almost to 300,000, nook. We're gonna throw you a party when you hit that milestone, dude....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #32
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
Almost to 300,000, nook. We're gonna throw you a party when you hit that milestone, dude....
. October 7th at 5:30pm Eastern Standard Time = 8 years since I drove away from the dealership in Rhode Island in my new 2007 Yaris. I was hoping to hit 300,000 miles before hitting 8 years. Even with the out to CA leg (1,900 + miles) of a round trip before October 7th, I think I'm going to fall a bit short.