Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #19
KorJax

Drives: None
Well, the 88K miles might be why.

There's a dealer near me selling an 07 Yaris with 65K miles for only $7.8K sticker price in manual. I'd go for it but the 09' with way less miles and all the optional features (including split seats) in the color I want for $11K sounds a bit more worth as a long-term purchase... even though 11K is getting dangerously close to "current model year" prices.
KorJax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #20
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Just FYI if your situation does happen to change.....there are currently 24 manual transmission new Yari in the entire U.S. (per the cars.com search engine a few minutes ago) --- One 2014 SE, fourteen 2014 L, and nine 2015 L. The 'second and third least expensive 2014s' (I bought the least expensive one) are still available. One of those two is at Toyota of Naperville (319 miles from Dayton). The 14,444 price showing on cars.com does include destination (what I was told over the phone...two weeks ago yesterday, IIRC), so the $14,370 MSRP has been discounted to $13,604.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #21
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorJax View Post
Well, the 88K miles might be why.
I was shocked by the low price IllusionX was quoted. In late January or early February I had a used car person at my local Toyota dealer pull the NADA figures for my Yaris. The lowest rated value was $1,600... but my Yaris had about TRIPLE that 88K (more, IIRC) at that time. The fact that the Canadian dollar is currently worth 91.37 % what the US dollar is exacerbates that comparison.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #22
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
11K for a loaded 09 with that low of miles is not outrageous. One of the advantages of the 09 liftback over the 07 is ABS. Most pre-09 liftbacks did not have it. The 09 also has side curtain airbags, which the 07 does not. Those safety features should actually offset the insurance difference for the newer car.
Very interesting. I wonder if insurance companies assume (AAA didn't ask me) that the newer car will be the 'primary car') when one person has two cars....and if so, if that would contribute to my insurance increasing only $140 per year for two Yari instead of one?
Old 08-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #23
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Manual transmission Yarii are not gonna be common.

There's reasons. First, this is basically an entry-level car. I like it; you like it; but a lot of young girls buy this car because it's all they can afford or it's all their daddies will spring for.

They want AUTOMATICS. They don't CARE about firm suspension and cornering; they don't even care about the reliability. They bought Toyotas because Daddy pressured them to; and Daddy did that because he saw Toyotas have resale value whereas Aveos do not.

But most of them (and many boys that age, too) have zero interest in rowing a 5-speed through traffic. Add to that guys like myself - older, sure of my manhood; I for one have a CDL and can drive a ten-speed. I really DO prefer the shiftless life, at this point.

So there's MUCH more market for the automatic than the manual. The automatic ADDS value, more than it costs, when the time comes to sell.

FWIW. Of course, everyone should buy what they want; but know what it is you're buying and what later repercussions will be.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
and many boys that age, too) have zero interest in rowing a 5-speed through traffic.
You may be right, but IMO that is very sad.....almost pathetic.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #25
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
know what it is you're buying and what later repercussions will be.
Good point. IMO, this matters if you AREN'T buying to drive the car until it depreciates to zero or almost zero, as I do.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #26
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Good point. IMO, this matters if you AREN'T buying to drive the car until it depreciates to zero or almost zero, as I do.
Well...people change. Their lives change and their needs change. Oh, man, I've seen this SO MANY times in my life...

Back twenty years ago, I had a career change that was a lifestyle change. I went to work on the railroad.

My car at that point was an old minivan...very cheap and practical. BUT...I had to use MY CAR to traverse railroad yards. MacPherson Strut suspensions weren't designed for that.

I TRASHED that old minivan. And when it got so beat I couldn't ignore it, I bought a Jeep Wrangler. Just the ticket for driving on railroad-yard ballast.

Except...shortly after I bought it, I got promoted. I became a locomotive engineer. Which meant, I wasn't driving across railroad yards anymore - I was driving FROM CITY TO CITY since I was low in seniority and was being displaced, one town to another. Had to accept it or quit.

The Jeep wasn't up to long-distance commutes. It got sold.

And so it goes. When I bought my 2012 Yaris, I was commuting 40 miles to work. Good car for that. Now I'm commuting FOUR miles; and meantime I have a LOT of personal crap to haul as I set up in a new town. I need, now, a truck, not a car.

What I'm getting at is: You may WANT to keep that car forever; but if you wind up with a family and kidlets; or you wind up unable to drive at all, for money or legal problems; or you wind up with a company-provided car or truck...you'll be wanting to sell.

You may not see it coming until it does, but very few people have lives so stable they can keep one type of car from when they buy it new or near-new to where it's scrap.

Good luck.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #27
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
I would sell my JDM converted vitz rs for 11k@72k mi lol
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #28
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Well...people change. Their lives change and their needs change. Oh, man, I've seen this SO MANY times in my life...

Back twenty years ago, I had a career change that was a lifestyle change. I went to work on the railroad.

My car at that point was an old minivan...very cheap and practical. BUT...I had to use MY CAR to traverse railroad yards. MacPherson Strut suspensions weren't designed for that.

I TRASHED that old minivan. And when it got so beat I couldn't ignore it, I bought a Jeep Wrangler. Just the ticket for driving on railroad-yard ballast.

Except...shortly after I bought it, I got promoted. I became a locomotive engineer. Which meant, I wasn't driving across railroad yards anymore - I was driving FROM CITY TO CITY since I was low in seniority and was being displaced, one town to another. Had to accept it or quit.

The Jeep wasn't up to long-distance commutes. It got sold.

And so it goes. When I bought my 2012 Yaris, I was commuting 40 miles to work. Good car for that. Now I'm commuting FOUR miles; and meantime I have a LOT of personal crap to haul as I set up in a new town. I need, now, a truck, not a car.

What I'm getting at is: You may WANT to keep that car forever; but if you wind up with a family and kidlets; or you wind up unable to drive at all, for money or legal problems; or you wind up with a company-provided car or truck...you'll be wanting to sell.

You may not see it coming until it does, but very few people have lives so stable they can keep one type of car from when they buy it new or near-new to where it's scrap.

Good luck.
The only one of the above that might effect me would be some unexpected issue that might render me unable to drive. If that happened, I would probably donate my Yari to charity, to be sold for their benefit. But I understand your point, and it is largely a valid one .
Old 08-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #29
KorJax

Drives: None
Well looks like the 09 with 15K at $11K OTD is a no-go. Lowest dealer could go was the listed price - which was $12K OTD. On top of that my financing they had for me was approved for a shorter term than I wanted bringing my payments up to $165-170/mo. So, pretty darn outside my budget.

In light of that, I'd be happy with settling on the 07 with 109K if I can get it for $6.5K-ish. Way more miles than I was wanting and its the older year, but at least its $5K less than the 09 car, and otherwise exactly the same - color and all (other than cruise)! I'd need to install cruise on it aftermarket.. which I'm hoping my mechanically inclined friend is willing to do with some payment. I looked up the guide on how to get it done with an 07 manual and it looks a bit out of my league (soldering+wiring=nope!).

Plus, the 07 has a spoiler! Bonus??

EDIT: Managed to go for $6.8K on the 2007, considering I was pretty satisfied with the car when I drove it and the payments will be low on it for me I don't think its too bad. Would have liked lower, but I simply can't find this type of car anywhere here for under $10K. All the ones under $10K are either all the super basic model (manual windows/locks/etc) or have 150-160K+ miles. This was the lowest milage one I could find for under $10K that also had power windows/locks/etc.

Last edited by KorJax; 08-25-2014 at 02:39 PM.
KorJax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #30
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
This was posted in the wrong section, moved it. Please remember to post your threads in the correct section.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:10 AM   #31
ebaut

Drives: Yaris 09
Quote:
Toyotas hold their value. Flip side of that is, you find yourself paying top dollar for a vehicle which is halfway through its useful life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actora View Post
Toyotas hold their valué. Flip side of that is, you find yourself paying top dollar for a vehicle which is halfway through its useful life.
Deja Vu
ebaut is offline   Reply With Quote