Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Spawne32

Drives: 1998 Dodge Neon Highline
So..considering a yaris but performane is an issue.

So i just applied for a loan from toyota financial, id have been looking around for a cheap car, 15 or under, 4 cylinder engine, somthing nice looking. Im all about performance so that is a large factor in deciding my decision on a car. I was inspired with the yaris from these pics someone posted on another forum...

and i thought to myself, wow thats really hot looking, i wonder what i could do with the engine to have something nice like that and perform well on the road as well. Granted ive gotten mixed feelings from friends who say it looks like a booger or a jelly bean, but i need to get out of my 98 dodge neon asap lol.

So fellas, give me the scoop here, whats available for the 1.5L VVT-i engine here that comes with the yaris, im seeing alot of supercharger kits, intakes, exhaust kits, etc etc, not much on cams or custom intake manifolds tho or much of anything else. Im also not seeing much in the way of horsepower being layed down with the supercharger kits, whats the deal with that? Im gona be getting an auto tranny if anything, are there any shift kits available for it as well? Give me the skinny on the performance end ;)

Spawne32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
Why does it have a subaru badge? Who did that here...someone did....

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Spawne32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIPNGAS View Post
Why does it have a subaru badge? Who did that here...someone did....
not sure, granted thats rice beyond rice but its still a hot looking ride
Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
That yaris is on coilovers, so you'd be dropping $900+ on suspension to get that look, then you gotta buy wheels.

The Blitz Supercharger has been recorded on the dyno at 125-130 whp. There's lots of choices for CAI, SRI, and exhaust. NST makes a set of pullies for the yaris. I don't think there is any intake manifold for sale yet. Someone was working on one, but I don't think its for sale yet.

A couple of people have turbo-ed the yaris and got 180+ whp. Or you could always go with an engine swap.

If you want the car to go fast in a straight line, you'll be putting down quite a bit of time and money. You can get the car to handle around a curve without much money, and have a fun little daily driver.

edit: and the guy who owns that yaris owns a subaru shop. (for the 100th time :P )
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
PERFORMANCE and yaris in the same sentence? how dare you......
Old 03-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
Spawne32

lol what kind of times do you guys lay down at the track on average?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
lol what kind of times do you guys lay down at the track on average?
same day lol, 17's from what i have seen, please correct me if I am mistaken
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
So i just applied for a loan from toyota financial, id have been looking around for a cheap car, 15 or under, 4 cylinder engine, somthing nice looking. Im all about performance so that is a large factor in deciding my decision on a car. I was inspired with the yaris from these pics someone posted on another forum...

and i thought to myself, wow thats really hot looking, i wonder what i could do with the engine to have something nice like that and perform well on the road as well. Granted ive gotten mixed feelings from friends who say it looks like a booger or a jelly bean, but i need to get out of my 98 dodge neon asap lol.

So fellas, give me the scoop here, whats available for the 1.5L VVT-i engine here that comes with the yaris, im seeing alot of supercharger kits, intakes, exhaust kits, etc etc, not much on cams or custom intake manifolds tho or much of anything else. Im also not seeing much in the way of horsepower being layed down with the supercharger kits, whats the deal with that? Im gona be getting an auto tranny if anything, are there any shift kits available for it as well? Give me the skinny on the performance end ;)

I believe the guy did that to his yaris cause he has a garage and he's a big fan of the subaru car..... I cant remember what it was called.... god durn it.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
kou

Drives: 08 lb
saggio
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
Spawne32

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
I believe the guy did that to his yaris cause he has a garage and he's a big fan of the subaru car..... I cant remember what it was called.... god durn it.
yeh im a big fan of it, the guys over at NN were raving about it so i figured id come over here and check into the yaris a little bit more, like i said, performance is a big issue with me, which was why i was opting for an ecotec powered car for a while now during my shopping.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #11
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Get a different car. ;)
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #12
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
Get a different car. ;)
^^ pretty much , if all you're after Hp's the yaris isn't for you . If you want something that looks cool , is differnt from the rest of the tuner cars , gets 35+ mpg's and will out handle most "sports cars" on the track with suspension modds/good driver then the yaris might be for you Imo.
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #13
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
performance? I'd say slap a sway bar on and some descent tires and the rest should be some skill...(Coilovers won't hurt either!)....anyway, You will be able to have tons of fun with a manual!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #14
Spawne32

never done any autocrossing before, im more of a drag race kind of person, im looking at this mainly for a DD though, but like all my cars, it needs to have some kick to it, so standard things right off the bat, intake, headers, pulleys, id really love to have some big cams in it, any future plans for camshafts for this thing?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #15
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
get a stick, buy the NST Short shift kit and have some fun. I personally could not have any fun in my yaris if it was an automatic. I kinda wish i bought an automatic sedan so I wouldn't have modded it.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #16
Spawne32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
get a stick, buy the NST Short shift kit and have some fun. I personally could not have any fun in my yaris if it was an automatic. I kinda wish i bought an automatic sedan so I wouldn't have modded it.
lol ive always been an auto guy, i practically live in philly these days and driving a stick while trying to eat a damn sandwich and talk on the phone is impossible, like i said this is a DD not a race car, but like all would be engine tweekers, there has to be some go fast mods, even on a DD. So im trying to get a lay of the land here in terms of what this thing can do. Toyota financial may be the only ones who approve me for a loan in this tough economy, im permanently disabled so i dont have a job ATM. The chevy dealer told me to get lost when i went down to go for a cobalt so that route is looking closed pretty much. I also was denied for a Nissan versa as well due to my disability.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #17
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Saggio's car looks awesome, but that just has to rub like a mofo.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #18
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
garage....
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/fun...garage&id=9128