Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Tardis

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Rear brake adjust issues 07 Hatch

Has anyone else had issues with the rear drum brakes not auto adjusting even with constant backing and hand brake use? Mine NEVER have since new. I've even lubed/antiseized the starwheel threads in case they were sticking. They're all loose. Is this a known issue (TSB etc) Any info appreciated
Tardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Mine do the same thing. I just have to adjust them every so often manually.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
How do you adjust them manually every so often? Is there a screw you can get access to with minimum hazzle? Better yet, without taking the tires off maybe?
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...light=drum+DIY

No car is truely auto adjusting. They all should be adjusted every time you have the tires rotated. Any good shop should be adjusting them for when you get it done. Usually once or twice a year. Here is a DIY that explains how to do the adjusting. Its not too hard. Just have to make sure you dont accidentally over adjust. You will amazed at the difference the brakes feel as well as hand brake once your done.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Tardis

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Well, there is a difference between not "truly auto adjusting" and NEVER adjusting Mine have NEVER auto adjusted. Every other car I've owned with drums on the rear adjusted itself occasionally when you reversed or applied the parking brake ( You get that satisfying high pedal afterwards to confirm it). I could understand if the components have siezed but mine are fine and I have lubricated them.

I'm not sure why car makers today can't get something to work that was originally installed on a 1946 Studebaker... I guess drive by wire is working out well for Toyota too, sheesh! Toyota needs to go purchase a 1960 Ford Falcon and make a 7/8 scale copy of its rear brakes. No high tech engineering needed.

Thanks for the info though. I just did mine when I swapped the snows.
Tardis is offline   Reply With Quote