Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #541
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Well. Dixie Nationals is coming up in less than 2 weeks. I feel like I have become a much better driver in the past year. After going to many conventions and be able to participate in the Evolution Driver school a month ago, I feel my driver mod has increased.

Nothing has really changed much except tires. I got a chance to talk to Andy Holis at the MSX Expo/SCCA conference a few weeks ago. During a Tire panel with BFgoodrich and Hoosier Reps as the speakers. I was asking questions the pros/cons between going with a 225 and a 205 tire on either a 7" rim or 7.5" rim. They wanted to talk to me after the panel but they got swamped with other people, so I started out the door. Then Andy stopped me and we started talking.
Basically he said you loose tire stiffness when you pinch a tire on the rim with street tires. You want lateral side wall but a slight stretch is recommended. He suggest to go with a 205 on my 7.5" rim. So I did.
Purchased 4 205/50/15 BFGoodrich Rivals. I have yet to really try them out in the dry. Our last event was all wet so was hard to dial in. But I was able to get 1st in Pax again, and I feel I wasn't giving it 100%. So thats good.

So far only 4 STF drivers.. I have signed up for contengencies for BFG and Hawk, but need 5 starters in order to get awards. Hopefully 1 more will sign up..

Where you at Andres?
Old 03-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #542
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
Well. Dixie Nationals is coming up in less than 2 weeks. I feel like I have become a much better driver in the past year. After going to many conventions and be able to participate in the Evolution Driver school a month ago, I feel my driver mod has increased.

Nothing has really changed much except tires. I got a chance to talk to Andy Holis at the MSX Expo/SCCA conference a few weeks ago. During a Tire panel with BFgoodrich and Hoosier Reps as the speakers. I was asking questions the pros/cons between going with a 225 and a 205 tire on either a 7" rim or 7.5" rim. They wanted to talk to me after the panel but they got swamped with other people, so I started out the door. Then Andy stopped me and we started talking.
Basically he said you loose tire stiffness when you pinch a tire on the rim with street tires. You want lateral side wall but a slight stretch is recommended. He suggest to go with a 205 on my 7.5" rim. So I did.
Purchased 4 205/50/15 BFGoodrich Rivals. I have yet to really try them out in the dry. Our last event was all wet so was hard to dial in. But I was able to get 1st in Pax again, and I feel I wasn't giving it 100%. So thats good.

So far only 4 STF drivers.. I have signed up for contengencies for BFG and Hawk, but need 5 starters in order to get awards. Hopefully 1 more will sign up..

Where you at Andres?
Good luck at Dixie, I think i've raced with you at a roebling rd event a year or so back. Drove up from Orlando in my STi.

What Andy said matches what i've felt when driving cars with pinched tires, plus with the yaris being a momentum car the lighter 205s will help as well.

Keep us posted how you do at Dixie.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #543
ilikerice

Will do. I now have a gopro so there will be video.

I am now the solo chair for Coastal Empire Buccaneer region. So next time you come up, ill be the one running around making sure its going smoothly.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #544
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
I recently moved to the frozen north (Iowa). My good friend still runs with you guys though. He has our old Yaris actually, but AutoXs a 2013 White STI.

Congrats on the solo chair position!!
Old 03-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #545
ilikerice

Ehh.. I wouldn't say congrats.. I love the sport and want to see it continue, the previous solo chair was getting burned out. I went ahead and stepped in to keep it going. I would love to just show up, do my worker assignment, drive, help clean up and leave. Only chance I get to do that is going to another regions event.. HAHA.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #546
andres3165

Drives: Yaris to be
Good luck Derrick. Rivals will do well in the cold, just practice on friday with 25-27 psi's . Wont be there since move to Mn. and my car is not ready yet.

Andres
andres3165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #547
ilikerice

Well, that sucks Andres. Thanks for the Pro tips!

Last day for registration for Dixie. Looks like we have 6 drivers in STF. Hoping to get Hawk or BFgoodrich contingency win...
Old 03-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #548
ilikerice

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....GFRS&tab=Sizes

Damn Rival S just got released... DAMMIT.. I could have had these for Nationals...
Old 03-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #549
andres3165

Good Job!!!!!!!! Wow !!!!! Congrats.

What else did you do to your car from last's year event ?

Andres
Old 03-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #550
BondXII

Drives: 09 Yaris, 08 X-Runner
Congrats D. I was watching you...well listening, since the streaming only had audio this weekend. Quite a battle in all classes this year. I still need to hard wire my FIC and the X-Runner isn't as competitive as it use to be in STX. Maybe next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BondXII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #551
ilikerice

@Andres
The difference was last year I had the OEM mid pipe, this year I upgraded to the Nitto midpipe, cut off one of the resenators and welded a cat in OEM location.
Also, last year i was running 225 hankooks on a 7" rim, this year I went with 205 Rivals on a 7.5" rim..

But I think the biggest difference was the driver mod... I have improved a lot in 2014 and really understanding the mental prep work that is required to find the best lines and memorizing the course. After each walk through, I would close my eyes and run the course in my head. If there was a spot in my memory that I was unsure of, I would walk the course again. I would repeat this until I can drive the course in my head every time.

Also, the GoPro helped a lot. Being able to view my runs after ward and seeing where I needed to get close to a cone, brake later, or get on the throttle more was what I needed.

@Bond
Thanks for listening. I haven't had a rush like that in a long time. My hands were still shaking in grid afterwards. My last run, I gave it everything I had and after viewing it on my gopro, I think there was still maybe .100 in a spot or 2. I was nailing every turn.

I will post up a decent video later on for all to see.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #552
andres3165

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
@Andres
The difference was last year I had the OEM mid pipe, this year I upgraded to the Nitto midpipe, cut off one of the resenators and welded a cat in OEM location.
Also, last year i was running 225 hankooks on a 7" rim, this year I went with 205 Rivals on a 7.5" rim..

But I think the biggest difference was the driver mod... I have improved a lot in 2014 and really understanding the mental prep work that is required to find the best lines and memorizing the course. After each walk through, I would close my eyes and run the course in my head. If there was a spot in my memory that I was unsure of, I would walk the course again. I would repeat this until I can drive the course in my head every time.

Also, the GoPro helped a lot. Being able to view my runs after ward and seeing where I needed to get close to a cone, brake later, or get on the throttle more was what I needed.

@Bond
Thanks for listening. I haven't had a rush like that in a long time. My hands were still shaking in grid afterwards. My last run, I gave it everything I had and after viewing it on my gopro, I think there was still maybe .100 in a spot or 2. I was nailing every turn.

I will post up a decent video later on for all to see.
Awesome !! see you back when????
You have a title to defend

Andres
Old 03-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #553
andres3165

At your next National event look for this car .....

Andres
Old 03-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #554
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
Congrats again dude!

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #555
Eduardo_mty

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres3165 View Post
At your next National event look for this car .....

Andres
Do you take your idea from Mazda cx5uploadfromtaptalk1426538827935.jpg

Take a look my car

uploadfromtaptalk1426539109413.jpguploadfromtaptalk1426539121567.jpg
Eduardo_mty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #556
Eduardo_mty

I need better vinyl work and photoshop help
Old 03-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #557
andres3165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo_mty View Post
I need better vinyl work and photoshop help
Yes... ;)

And this:

Andres
Old 03-17-2015, 08:35 AM   #558
Eduardo_mty

I liked that cx5 pictures to choose yaris color.

I want to do that vinil work in my car