Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2018, 11:08 PM   #1
nufsty
I've made a post!

Drives: 2017 Yaris L
Unhappy Left front end wheel knocking

Hi folks,

I recently purchased a 2017 Yaris L and after a month of driving, I am having what I believe is a suspension issue. I have had cars with bad tie rod ends, wobbly steering wheels due to old tires, etc. I am WELL acquainted with having a cars that don't ride smoothly.

Anyway, over the weekend I noticed while driving on the highway that after getting to a certain speed (anything > ~25 mph), there is a slight bumping/knocking that I can feel on the driver side front end. I have done a few things so far to try to diagnose the issue, including:

- Driving with the windows rolled down/having my wife drive by while I am standing there to try to listen for any sound that I might recognize.

- Jacking the car up and taking off both of the driver-side wheels and inspecting the wheels themselves for any lodged debris that might be causing the issue.

- Checking everything around the front driver-side axle, including the ball joint, control arm, strut, and stabilizer bar link. I checked the bushings of all of these parts to make sure they were still good, as well as checking every bolt that I could find under there the make sure they were all snug and tight.

None of this was to any avail. This is unlike anything I've ever ran into. Usually if there is a bad brake pad/control arm/etc. there is significant wobbling, especially when braking. However, the brakes are still buttery smooth with no shaking at all and very responsive. There is no shaking in the steering wheel. The tires are all inflated correctly and have excellent tread. There's just a slight, but alarming knock that can be easily felt anywhere in the car when driving above about 25 mph. Does anyone have any ideas what could possibly be the issue?

Thanks in advance for any help!
nufsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
jra

Drives: 2015 yaris L
A cv joint usually makes a clicking noise when they start going bad, could be something with the wheel bearing? Could be a tire with a broken belt? Maybe move the front wheel to the back and back one to the front. to see if the knocking noise moves to the rear.
jra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Car from 2017 should be still well covered by warranty. I would go to the dealership and require fix for free. Let them diagnose it themselves.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ball joint, bumping, control arm, knock, suspension