Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Hoodyjay

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan BASE
Question LED light help

Just bought some LED Eagle Diamond Vision headlights on amazon.ca. They work very well with headlight tuned on all the way (tailights are on also). High beams work good too. I just have an issue, there is a very faint flicker when running daytime running lights. I'm in Canada so it's illegal to not have DRL. I was thinking of disabling DRL, and just rotate the headlight switch one time to have the parking lights and tail lights on, and if I rotate the switch once more is when my headlights will turn on fully. Should I just not worry about the flicker? Will it damage anything? I think it's power turning them on and off very quickly because of low voltage, can't remember. I suck at wiring and what not. Thanks.
Hoodyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
That's because the DRL pulse the voltage to keep current draw low, for dinner low beam.

You can add a cap to cancel out the effect of flickering.

Probably something like this

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
Hoodyjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
That's because the DRL pulse the voltage to keep current draw low, for dinner low beam.

You can add a cap to cancel out the effect of flickering.

Probably something like this

Hmm I emailed LED Eagle and asked them as well. This is what they said.
"Hi Jalen
Thank you for contacting us.
For the mild flickering on your daytime running lights, the anti-flicker module will not improve it. You can disable your vehicle's daytime running module or remove the fuse for the daytime running lights. You may need to ask a mechanic for assistance.
Please let me know if you have any other questions
Regards
Sona C"
Old 11-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
IllusionX

Unplug the module then.

I've rewired the DRL to the fogs. I basically just tapped the light blue wire from the module, to the orange wire, and added a 100uf cap so it doesn't flicker the fog relay, and it's been working for the past 5+ years.

I'm not sure about those anti-flicker, but I'm sure adding a proper cap to the circuit will fix your issue with using DRL with your LED.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
Hoodyjay

Quote:
Unplug the module then.

I've rewired the DRL to the fogs. I basically just tapped the light blue wire from the module, to the orange wire, and added a 100uf cap so it doesn't flicker the fog relay, and it's been working for the past 5+ years.

I'm not sure about those anti-flicker, but I'm sure adding a proper cap to the circuit will fix your issue with using DRL with your LED.

I wish I had fog lights to do that with lol. I've been driving around mid day with my headlights fully on so I won't have that flicker meaning my tailights are lit during the day. Doing this will just reduce the lifespan of my lights right? Having them on fully will not produce a flicker so I think it's better than a flicker. I ordered the anti flicker thing anyway just in case it does do something.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
Hoodyjay

Quote:
Unplug the module then.

I tried unplugging the DRL relay under the steering column yesterday, it's like -22 degrees Celsius where I am and my hands were frozen lol. I couldn't get it out. I was thinking if I do get them out I can just turn the headlight switch halfway where only my yellow parking lights will turn on?
Old 11-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #7
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodyjay View Post
I tried unplugging the DRL relay under the steering column yesterday, it's like -22 degrees Celsius where I am and my hands were frozen lol. I couldn't get it out. I was thinking if I do get them out I can just turn the headlight switch halfway where only my yellow parking lights will turn on?
They will. If you unplug the module, the OEM fog lights (if you have them) will also stop working.
The orange wire needs grounded to work (independently). The module keeps fogs working like OEM.

If you want to properly disable DRL, you need to cut the thick blue (iirc is light blue) from the module, then you can use the signal to power lights of your choice.

One day, one day I will pull the module out and take a picture of my modification. Hehe

What you can also do is wire up a relay, and turn on a set of lights on car start. You have many many options.

Also, not sure what the law says about DRL in Alberta, but Quebec SAAQ says they have to be stock location. Although no one gives a damn about it.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:22 PM   #8
Hoodyjay

Quote:
They will. If you unplug the module, the OEM fog lights (if you have them) will also stop working.
The orange wire needs grounded to work (independently). The module keeps fogs working like OEM.

If you want to properly disable DRL, you need to cut the thick blue (iirc is light blue) from the module, then you can use the signal to power lights of your choice.

One day, one day I will pull the module out and take a picture of my modification. Hehe

What you can also do is wire up a relay, and turn on a set of lights on car start. You have many many options.

Also, not sure what the law says about DRL in Alberta, but Quebec SAAQ says they have to be stock location. Although no one gives a damn about it.

All those wire and relay talk got me confused af lol. I think I will just try to pull the relay again when it's slightly warmer. If I do get in shit, that relay is already hard enough to get out, I can't imagine putting it back in. I might just run with my headlights turned on fully even in the day. I imagine that it would lower its lifespan but oh well.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
zimmer

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Unplug the module then.

We'll be working on buddy's Yaris right after we finished installing the new brake kit, access bed cover, and railings on the current truck project. Heard about the anti-flicker before but we might try the wiring through the fogs first.
zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:13 AM   #10
Hoodyjay

Quote:
Unplug the module then.

If I just let it flicker... what can happen? Will that ruin my yaris electrical wirings? Will it damage my alternator? Lower the bulbs lifespan? Is there anything bad that happens from the flicker running DRL? Or is it just a thing that people don't like how it looks?
Old 05-13-2022, 04:08 PM   #11
Gerant

Drives: Skoda
Drawdowns in the network are often associated with the generator and its operation. Theoretically, after turning on the power unit, the battery rest and even recharges from the generator. This small device takes on all the tasks of providing power supply.
If you installed the radio in the car yourself, taking power from the wrong place, the problem of battery drawdown and load on all vital organs would be very relevant. It is better to exclude artisanal interference in the electrical power supply system altogether. When I installed the LED strip with https://www.amazon.com/car-lights-ca.../dp/B09L86JRRM, I was as careful as possible.
I advise you to check the wiring in the car.

Last edited by Gerant; 05-17-2022 at 06:23 PM.
Gerant is offline   Reply With Quote