Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #19
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Same here. I rotated mine every 5000 miles and they were bald at 25,000. And I drive like a grandpa. Too bad the mileage warranty is void on our cars....
thats weird, I'm nearing 19k, and i've still got a decent amount of tread. What PSI's did you run, and what are your driving habbits? Mostly city? or Highway? if highway, how fast? 50pmh/60mph/70/ 80????

i drive 70% highway and 60-65 while on the highway. I try to reduce the amount of times i have to start & stop as much as possible... I figure stopping & starting is probably more wear on your tires as well as less mpg's when I fill up.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #20
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
90% highway, 70 mph, 32 psi on my 07. So far the ones on my 08 are wearing fine. Maybe they just had a bad crop in 07??
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #21
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
Thanks for proving my point!

On page 6 of the Bridgestone Tire Safety and Warranty Manual it clearly states "For maximum mileage, rotate your tires according to the vehicle manufacture's recommendations (consult your vehicle owner's manual)."

I'll use the Bridgestone's recommendation to use the Yaris Owner's Manual guidelines on tire rotation. This will save me time and effort by only having to jack up one side of the car at a time.

In the long run, it probably doesn't matter which rotation pattern is used. What matters is that it is done in a timely and consistant manor.
The Toyota owners manual also says that you should not over inflate your tires by their recommendations which is 32 psi. It states that over inflating will cause poor handling, excessive wear, etc. So you go by your Tire company for psi but you go by Toyota for rotation guidelines?? You think that Toyota's psi ratings are a joke and that the tire company's rotation guidelines are a joke?? Sounds like you don't know who to follow or maybe you are believing every thing you see on the net?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #22
john21031

Drives: '10 Fit Sport MT and 2012 Fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
My Papa says it is not good to rotate tires so - now I have one less thing to forget about. Some thing about the " carcass set"
You are right. No need to rotate them unless they are wearing unevenly or the fronts are so worn out that you want to give rears a chance to catch up.

Tire rotation is an old thing when cars had horrible alignment issues and had to have tires rotated. These days it's just a way for service technicians to earn a living... just like 3,000 mile oil change.
john21031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:24 PM   #23
b_hickman11

Front tires turn....rear tires do not....this causes a different wear pattern on the front and rear tires. This is why you rotate, but I guess the multi-billion dollar tires companies dont know what they are talking about.....
Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #24
touroxin

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5M Blazing Blue HB
Well, I rotated my tires this weekend, back to front, jacking up one side of the car at a time. The difference in tread wear was obvious. I have 5,200 miles on the car.

I've always rotated the tires on my cars so they wear evenly. When the time comes for new tires I always buy four new tires and the process starts again.

For those keeping track, I am now 97% sure where the front jack point is located. Does anyone have a nice picture of it??
touroxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #25
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Anyone use ramps instead of jacks?
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #26
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
So you go by your Tire company for psi but you go by Toyota for rotation guidelines?? You think that Toyota's psi ratings are a joke and that the tire company's rotation guidelines are a joke?? Sounds like you don't know who to follow or maybe you are believing every thing you see on the net?
I have never seen a psi recommendation by a tire company. Anybody who has put any thought behind this would understand why. The tire company doesn't know what kind of car the tires are going on. FWD, RWD, AWD, 4WD?? They don't know the weight or the weight distribution of the vehicle. Therefore they leave the proper inflation up to the manufacture. For example on my 08 Yaris running stock Bridgestone 185 60R 15 the small print on the tire says "Follow owners manual or tire plagard in vehicle -- Inflate to recommended pressure -- Never exceed 40 psi." So the tire company has suggested that the user follow both the rotation and inflation guidelines set by the manufacture. I trust Toyota engineering and do things the way the owners manual states. The real injustice to the "net" is that people without reading the owners manual are able to state personal opinions as fact.

On a side note. I don't care what psi people are using. However, I have been involved in 2 personl injury lawsuits involving lawyers and insurance companies. I wouldn't put anything past either of them. If you are driving with over inflated tires and posting your psi on the internet and get into an accident caused by a blow out, the insurance company or lawyer will find a way to use that information against you.

Last edited by nemelek; 11-09-2008 at 05:50 PM.
nemelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #27
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
Anyone use ramps instead of jacks?
wouldn't the wheels then be sitting on the ramps instead of the floor? Or was this a joke and I just didn't catch the tone?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #28
b_hickman11

I was just stating that he was following the tire manufactor's max rating of 44 psi and saying Toyota's recommendations where a joke. He also said that the tire manufactors rotation guidelines where a joke and that he followed Toyota's. So therefore he is follow the tire manufactors guidelines for one thing but following Toyota's for another.....
Old 11-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #29
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidTimeOff View Post
wouldn't the wheels then be sitting on the ramps instead of the floor? Or was this a joke and I just didn't catch the tone?
I meant using ramps to work on stuff under the car.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #30
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
I meant using ramps to work on stuff under the car.
Haha ok, guess I got sidetracked on the whole rotating tires stuff.

I used ramps to install my exhaust on the car, but I couldn't use ramps to get under the front because my car's dropped and the ramps are just a bit too steep.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #31
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Factory Bridgestones good for 50,000+ Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by john21031 View Post
You are right. No need to rotate them unless they are wearing unevenly or the fronts are so worn out that you want to give rears a chance to catch up.

Tire rotation is an old thing when cars had horrible alignment issues and had to have tires rotated. These days it's just a way for service technicians to earn a living... just like 3,000 mile oil change.
You are spreading complete lies.

Tire rotation on today's cars is a must and the ONLY way to squeeze out the most milage from tires. It is as relevent today as it was 100 years ago. Surely you're not so ignorant to realize that the front tires will wear two or more times faster then the rear, yea?!?

I run the original Bridgestone tires that came on the 2007 Yaris Hatchback, and I over inflate to 50 PSI, and get this: I'm at 48,000 miles and can easily reach 50,000 and still have thread left.

So how and why you guys are getting sheet milage from your Bridgestones is beyound me...it must be your lack of good driving habits and lack of tire rotation.

The proper way to rotate radial tires is front to back, back to front. Only the old bias ply tires switched sides of the car....never do this with today's radials....
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #32
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
I have never seen a psi recommendation by a tire company. Anybody who has put any thought behind this would understand why. The tire company doesn't know what kind of car the tires are going on. FWD, RWD, AWD, 4WD?? They don't know the weight or the weight distribution of the vehicle. Therefore they leave the proper inflation up to the manufacture. For example on my 08 Yaris running stock Bridgestone 185 60R 14 the small print on the tire says "Follow owners manual or tire plagard in vehicle -- Inflate to recommended pressure -- Never exceed 40 psi." So the tire company has suggested that the user follow both the rotation and inflation guidelines set by the manufacture. I trust Toyota engineering and do things the way the owners manual states. The real injustice to the "net" is that people without reading the owners manual are able to state personal opinions as fact.

On a side note. I don't care what psi people are using. However, I have been involved in 2 personl injury lawsuits involving lawyers and insurance companies. I wouldn't put anything past either of them. If you are driving with over inflated tires and posting your psi on the internet and get into an accident caused by a blow out, the insurance company or lawyer will find a way to use that information against you.
ALL tire companies do IN FACT recommand a PSI setting for their tires. Surely you're not that stu---....nevermind.

Guess where Toyota gets the recommanded PSI from?

The. Tire. Company.

In addition, it does not matter if the car is 4x4 or what it weighs because the amount of air needed to put a tire to a particular PSI differs according to the weight of the vehicle. So our Yars, for example needs less air in the tires for 35PSI then if the car weighted say 500 lbs more. In other words, all you have to do is add enough air to bring the PSI to the proper level...
Old 11-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #33
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
You are spreading complete lies.

The proper way to rotate radial tires is front to back, back to front. Only the old bias ply tires switched sides of the car....never do this with today's radials....

So you're saying that cross rotation will hurt our tires?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #34
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
So you're saying that cross rotation will hurt our tires?
Yes, cross rotation will mean faster and uneven wear.

Talk to any tire tech and they will tell you that radials must stay on the same side of the car.

Switching sides when rotation worked great years ago when tires were bias ply. But nobody makes bias ply for passenger cars anymore.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #35
nemelek
DWEED

Quote:
ALL tire companies do IN FACT recommand a PSI setting for their tires. Surely you're not that stu---....nevermind.

Guess where Toyota gets the recommanded PSI from?

The. Tire. Company.

In addition, it does not matter if the car is 4x4 or what it weighs because the amount of air needed to put a tire to a particular PSI differs according to the weight of the vehicle. So our Yars, for example needs less air in the tires for 35PSI then if the car weighted say 500 lbs more. In other words, all you have to do is add enough air to bring the PSI to the proper level...
I will bet you $100 that you can't find any proof where Bridgestone recommended to Toyota to put 32 PSI in their 185 60R 15 tires for the Yaris.
There is probably an industry guidelines for tire type and sizes. The amount of load on a tire and the corresponding the PSI are in those guidelines. It's Toyota's responsibility to pick a correct tire and recommend the proper PSI.

The weight of a vehicle does matter. If the Yaris was a 1,000 pounds heavier or lighter their might be a different tire or PSI recommendation. On the chart below for the Dodge Ram you will note that the front tires for a light load with the diesel require 10 to 15 PSI more than the V-8. Why? Because the diesel weighs a lot more. Notice when the truck goes from light load to heavy load the PSI for the rear tires go from 40 to 70 or 80. Why? Because as the weight increases there is an additional need to increase the PSI. There are some idiots that would put 120 PSI in the rears. Do you really think that "The.Tire.Company." made this chart for Dodge? More likely Dodge engineers figured the load for the tires in different situations and used the tire guidelines from the manufactures put together this chart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Truck tire.jpg (47.5 KB, 387 views)

Last edited by nemelek; 11-09-2008 at 05:52 PM.
nemelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #36
nemelek
DWEED

Quote:
recommanded
I may be stu--- but at least I can spell recommended.