Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
yoyoche

Drives: 07 sedan auto pacific blue
This is my buying experience

I went to three different Toyota dealers when looking for this vehicle.
#1 had no Yarii on the lot. Told me I should really drive one first though, although my mind was set on buying this car. He did not try to sell me at all, or offer to call when he got one in. This surprised me, didn't seem to interested in selling me a car.

#2 had 2 LB's and 3 Sedans. They let me test drive a LB for a total of 100' on their lot. Would not let me take it out on the road and the salesman jumped in for the ride, crazy. At this point I was interested in the LB and asked what the final price was after any add ons. They added $500 for window etching saying it was for their insurance purposes. I asked him to see how much he would take off the MSRP and that I wouldn't pay for the etching. So he went in to talk to the sales manager, supposedly. When he returned he told me they would not budge on either, because the car was flying off the lot. So I said no thanks and proceeded to dealer #3.

#3 On our way there the wife and I decided that the sedan would fit our needs better. This is a retirement vehicle for us. It would be a little difficult to get in and out of the back seat with our age group. And the sedan with the four doors was very roomy. So as #3 salesman approached us I told him I wanted to buy a sedan and what could he do for us on the price. To my surprise he immediately told me he would split his profit with me. I then asked what other adders there were. He wanted $147 document fee and $500 for window etching, to which I told him I would not pay for the window etching. So he proceeded to go to his sales manager just like #2. Of course I expected him to return saying that it was part of their insurance program just like #2 and I would end up paying it. But when he returned he said OK, surprised again. Well we wanted the car in Pacific blue with the charcoal interior,so he proceeded to look on his computer and said he could have it in 2 weeks. So we put $500 down and went home. He called us in a week and a half to inform us that the car had arrived. I asked him to verify the colors for me on the phone. And unfortunately it was a Pacific blue with the tan interior. Well with 9 grand kids that just wasn't going to work for us. Any body with kids or grand kids know that red, blue, or orange juice will eventually make its way onto your car seats. LOL So he said he would check around again to see if he could find one. When he called back he told me it would be another 2 weeks. Well the car arrived Aug. 9 and we picked it up the next morning. My total cost delivered was $14777. The MSRP was $14100 with cold weather package, convenience package, automatic, and floor mats. The buying experience with #3 was very good and I feel I got a good price.

I am retiring Jan 1, so this vehicle is to help save some money. I have not run a full tank through yet, but it appears to be headed above 35 mpg (I live in the country and probably do 40% city and 60% highway driving). PROS: It is quite peppy for an auto and I am pleased with the acceleration. The seats are comfortable and the height adjustment for driver seat is really nice. There is plenty of room front and back for the passengers. The trunk is amazingly large for this vehicle. CONS: It is a bit noisy and a little bumpy on rough roads. The center console is to far back and low to be of much use as an arm rest. The radio is impossible to read in daylight and GREEN (yuk).

For the price - economy of the Yaris I think it is a great deal. As a side note dealer #2 & #3 were owned by the same person I later found out.
yoyoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
Buckethead

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Awesome! You stuck to your guns!

I paid exactly what you paid fully loaded. Didn't pay a delivery fee, though.
I'm in California, so I don't get the cold weather package. Did get everything else, though!

Congrats!

Buckethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I never paid a thing for the window etching. i was told it came standard and there was no add on fees. Did your guys windowns not have it on there. If its wasnt on there and they made you pay for it they are full of bologna.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
A salesman does not have to tell you the truth. He can say just about anything.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
sroberts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I've never even heard of window etching. Dont have it on mine (at least that I know of) and I wasnt charged for it. What is it?
Old 08-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
yoyoche

Drives: 07 sedan auto pacific blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroberts
I've never even heard of window etching. Dont have it on mine (at least that I know of) and I wasnt charged for it. What is it?
Here say here, but I've heard they claim cheaper insurance rate in case of theft. It is a serial number of sorts that they put on each window. And I have ran into this before here in NW Indiana when buying a car. But it just another way to turn a profit (my 2 pesos)
yoyoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
Sounds like your dealer #3 is much like our dealer - at least our dealer's fleet mgr - he was only too willing to get on the system and find us the car we wanted. They want to sell cars.

He did it for us with the 4runner we purchased for a good price 2 months earlier, too. It's how I made a very good living selling phone systems (Key & PBX) for 18 yrs. Customers get a fair price price on a good system, or systems, for their application and you get a large number of profitable sales. Everyone is happy!

"Taking" the customer does not usually make for repeat business, referrals or multiple sales and that's where the real money is for a salesman.
60 Somethings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
slvryaris

They told me at the dealership all cars were going to have them on there and it does not cost extra. If someone jacks your ride then they have to bust out all the windown to get the vin off of it. It also has a phone number on it to call they told me. So instead of just taking the vinplate off in the dash and in the doors they also have to break the glass in all the windows.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #9
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
You never "have to" pay for window etching..

On our Murano, they decided last minute to etch the windows before delivery (keep in mind, we ordered this, and waited 3 months for it to arrive!).. when we saw it, we said we ain't payin'! Period. Needless to say, the $250 was taken off the final price. Kicker is, we still get the discount from insurance, for having them etched.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:01 PM   #10
slvryaris

I am just curious as to why people are saying the dealers are making them pay for it. Sounds like a croc of poo to me. Car dealers can be such retards sometime.