Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
tadc

Drives: 07 Liftback, Red
chirp/squeak noise just off idle when cold

Greetings Yarisheads... my DW has an 07 3-door stripper automatic with about 54k miles, great car, zero problems.

Recently, with the onset of cold weather, we've noticed a strange noise that seems to be coming from the engine.

It's a bit hard to explain, but I'll try... it doesn't do it at idle, but when the car is cold and you're just starting out with very light throttle, you hear a kind of oscillating chirpy-squeak kind of noise. The most similar sound I can think of is that squeal that some cars power steering makes when you crank the wheel all the way to the stop.. just quieter.

It seems to be RPM-related, as it goes away when the engine speed increases or decreases - it only happens just off idle. It seems like it gradually changes to a slightly higher RPM as the car warms up, and eventually goes away entirely.

It kinda sounds like a belt slipping a bit, but the belt seems to be fine and it only does it under those specific conditions, which doesn't seem like a belt (which I would expect to slip more under heavy throttle starting off or when it's wet out).

So.. any thoughts? I've read about common water pump and alternator failures, but so far they both seem fine...

Thanks for any input.
tadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2009 Yaris Onyx
probably needs a new belt ( even it looks o.k ), if you think it'd slipping just tighten it up.....idler pulley might be the cause also.
DARK AGE 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Very good points above!

IME belts will get noisy with age when they get wet even from light condensation/dew. I have always attributed this to very tiny cracks in the belt ribs. My own personal "rule" is I replace the belt when this starts to happen. The belt will last far longer, I just don't want to listen to it! They are relatively inexpensive anyway and it's cheap insurance.

If the belt is tight as is you don't want to over tighten it.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Last edited by R2D2; 11-27-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: addition
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
You must be careful not to over tighten the belt as it could case the altenator, water pump bearings, etc to fail.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
tadc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
You must be careful not to over tighten the belt as it could case the altenator, water pump bearings, etc to fail.
Thanks for the replies.
That's what makes me reluctant to tighten it. Also - I'm not too familiar with the Yaris's layout, but isn't this a serp belt with a spring tensioner? If that's the case, there isn't really anything to "tighten", right? The tensioner applies tension and thats that?

Does anybody know off the top of their head what's the service interval for the belt?

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadc View Post
And that's what makes me reluctant to tighten it. Also - I'm not too familiar with the Yaris's layout, but isn't this a serp belt with a spring tensioner? If that's the case, there isn't really anything to "tighten", right? The tensioner applies tension and thats that?

Does anybody know off the top of their head what's the service interval for the belt?

Thanks.
There is no tensioner. The alternator must be moved to adjust tension.

I just checked my recommended maintenance schedule. Through to 232,000 km, it does not show any maintenance items regarding this belt. The only mention is an inspection and adjust tension if needed during every other visit.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
tadc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
There is no tensioner. The alternator must be moved to adjust tension.

I just checked my recommended maintenance schedule. Through to 232,000 km, it does not show any maintenance items regarding this belt. The only mention is an inspection and adjust tension if needed during every other visit.
Well that is interesting. In light of that I assume I probably need to adjust tension.

It's been a long time since I had to do that... can anybody share their technique? Should I be going for the about 1/2-3/4 inch deflection of the belt?

Also can anybody share the typical lifetime of the belt in their experience?

Or maybe I should just let it go until the belt *really* starts slipping and then just replace it? I really don't want to give the bearings or seals in the alt or water pump an excuse to fail... :)
Old 11-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
DARK AGE 53

Quote:
Well that is interesting. In light of that I assume I probably need to adjust tension.

It's been a long time since I had to do that... can anybody share their technique? Should I be going for the about 1/2-3/4 inch deflection of the belt?

Also can anybody share the typical lifetime of the belt in their experience?

Or maybe I should just let it go until the belt *really* starts slipping and then just replace it? I really don't want to give the bearings or seals in the alt or water pump an excuse to fail... :)
I don't really think you can say when it's time to change the belt, kinda depends on conditions you drive in.....you could try spraying some soapy water on the belt or use belt dressing to if the belts the problem. Check out CTScott replies number 8 and 15 here http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=tighten+belt . Good luck.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
tadc

Thanks for the link, that's helpful.

Just to be clear - what's the soapy water going to do for me? Make it slip more so I'll know for sure it's the belt/tension? Should a properly-tensioned belt *not* slip with soapy water applied? I'd think it would.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
DARK AGE 53

Quote:
Thanks for the link, that's helpful.

Just to be clear - what's the soapy water going to do for me? Make it slip more so I'll know for sure it's the belt/tension? Should a properly-tensioned belt *not* slip with soapy water applied? I'd think it would.
if the noise goes away ( for a short time ) it kinda tells you it's probably not the water pump or alternator, you can spray the belt also while the engine is running. just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
tadc

That's one of the things that makes this hard to diagnose - I haven't been able to get it to make the noise when I'm standing still, only under (light) load.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #12
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I have the same noise on winter only it doesn't bother me but I am curious to know WTF is it
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #13
tadc

Hiya - just bringing this thread back from the dead to say:
1) I bought a new belt but never got around to installing or re-tensioning... the noise went away on its own.
B) When I was changing the oil the other day I noticed the coolant reservoir was low. As it turns out, the water pump is leaking at the shaft seal! Add me to the list. Luckily it's still inside of the 5/60 warranty (barely), so I'll be calling the stealer on Monday. (It *is* covered under the powertrain warranty, right?)

Anybody have trouble getting them to pony up for the replacement? I read somewhere that they won't change it until it's slinging coolant onto the hood, and this one isn't that far gone yet. I'm used to dealing with VW, so I will expect them to be crooked and incompetent...

Thank God I didn't actually do any work on it or I'd be blaming myself for instigating the failure!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #14
cabinfevrr

Drives: 2008 yaris 5door RS
why do people refer to their base model cars as strippers? It's not like they've had anything removed from them, implying that they are 'stripped down' - they were built that way!

I once sold toyotas, and there was this guy that kept referring to the $40,000 Tundra SR5 as a stripper - he was going on and on about the price because a stripper shouldn't cost that much. at that point i quietly gave him a quote on a 5.7 crew max limited, and told him that an SR5 is not a base model, and i'd be happy to show him one.

I never understood to whole stripper thing. it's more syllables, and takes longer to type than just saying 'base'...and when you say 'base', you have less chance of people saying "huh?!?!" like you do when you say stripper.
cabinfevrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
tadc

It's just a figure of speech, no need to get worked up over it. :)

I would disagree with your first point though - this is a car that came with no power windows/locks, no ABS, no rear wiper, not even a radio, so IMO "base model" fails to sufficiently describe the lack of options/features. :)

Regardless of whether or not this is how the manufacturer defines the "base model" (something that only someone intimately familiar with the car would know anyway), it clearly has had nearly every possible feature "stripped" from it.

Whether that was due to the features the manufacturer decided to include or delete from their definition of "base model" or whether "standard" features had been deleted, the end result is still a car that has been "stripped" of features.

I use the word "feature" rather than "option" to avoid the arbitrary distinction that is determined essentially by the whim of the manufacturer and its marketing department - in other words, if it's included in the "base model" definition its not technically an "option". In contrast, when I bought my 01 Golf TDI I was forced to swallow a number of features (for example, 4 doors and alloy wheels) that I didn't want because they were included in the base model.