Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Chwbcca

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan Manual
Crack in paintjob on roof on 2012, What should I do?

Hello!

Just the other day, as I was closing the hatch on my Yaris, I noticed there was a big crack in the paint right by where the antenna is. I'll post pictures of it soon, but it looks like an egg when it cracks (after all, my Yaris is white). I am not sure what to do as this is my first new car ever, and I haven't even put 2,000 miles on it. I bought it in November of last year and I have not gotten into any accidents with it or have messed with the paint job at all.

Should I talk to the dealer? Does anyone else have the same problem?

It is so weird that I bought a new car so I wouldn't have to worry about my car much and now this happens?
Chwbcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Thats what a dealer, and warranty is for.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chwbcca View Post
Hello!

Just the other day, as I was closing the hatch on my Yaris, I noticed there was a big crack in the paint right by where the antenna is. I'll post pictures of it soon, but it looks like an egg when it cracks (after all, my Yaris is white). I am not sure what to do as this is my first new car ever, and I haven't even put 2,000 miles on it. I bought it in November of last year and I have not gotten into any accidents with it or have messed with the paint job at all.

It is so weird that I bought a new car so I wouldn't have to worry about my car much and now this happens?
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Please let us know what the dealer's response is. I think how Toyota handles this will be fascinating.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Chwbcca

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan Manual
Well, I'm not sure what the dealer's response will be, I hope it will be a good one. I'm such a noob, I have no idea whether or not I should get an appointment at the dealership or call ahead or what...
Chwbcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Well, I'm not sure what the dealer's response will be, I hope it will be a good one. I'm such a noob, I have no idea whether or not I should get an appointment at the dealership or call ahead or what...
I wouldn't call ahead. If you just go in you will get a better idea of how they will treat you 'naturally' (without any potential 'rehearsal'). Yes, I am extremely cynical . Others may advise the opposite. I have had one contact with a Toyota dealership in your area. My alternator had to be replaced while I was visiting in 2010 (I came up to catch a game during the opening home stand at Target Field). I got a quote from the Toyota dealership in Burnsville. They were professional, but the price was outrageous. I ended up going with Sears (nearby) at a bit under half the cost, if I remember correctly. One of the service writers at Sears was able to reach the vendor they have the most confidence in and they had a re-manufactured alternator for me. I'm about to hit 80k on that replacement alternator and it is still performing well.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:36 AM   #6
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
my paint has a fair amount of chips in it also - I think Toyota's mix for this year's paint is sub-par. my 08's paint is much better :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
muffin_top

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE 5MT
Post up a pic and I can tell you exactly what they are going to say..
muffin_top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
Take it to the dealership Immediately. don't be humble, be blunt. tell them straight up. This is a new car, its still under warranty and i want this fixed. There should be no reason the paint show start having flaws within a year of me purchasing it.

i've been having problems with drive side of the my front bumper on my 2012. nothing serious but it tends to pop out. i've spoke to them twice already and they gave me the speal. " Oh we couldn't replicate it, but it was noted just in case it happens again." needless to say it still happens. when i go for my 20K mile service, im really going to get on them and tell them this needs to be fixed.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
all the paint on all the Yaris' is weak at best. They really skimped out.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin_top View Post
Post up a pic and I can tell you exactly what they are going to say..
^^^^^ Chwbcca, I would do this before taking it in. Muffin Top works for a Toyota dealership.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:14 AM   #11
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Drives: 2012 Silver Yaris LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
all the paint on all the Yaris' is weak at best. They really skimped out.
I've been pretty fortunate so far. A bunch of bangs and scrapes and one really good dent from a tool driving an SUV and the paint has held up. Only with the dent did any come off and it was very little. Here's hoping for the best, OP.
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
thats why i have 2 rust bubbles on my rear hatch, i have rust and paint protection so i'm sure they will cover. but i want a new hatch.

you will get your paint covered!
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Hello!

Some pictures of a silver 2012 were posted awhile back (by Hershey I think), and those pics contributed to my weakness for that color (I also saw a couple of examples on the road after that). Prior to those pics, my favorite color for the 3rd Gen was white. This post by Chwbcca freaked me out a bit re the 3rd Gen paint. For some reason, in the short amount of time since this post, I've seen an inordinate number of paint jobs on silver cars that have held up very poorly. For a number of reasons, I've felt for years that the easiest colors to keep looking good (overall) with the least fuss are white and silver. I've owned two silver cars (an Integra and a Mustang) and one white one (a GTI). I think paint issues are easiest to mask/deflect detection on white cars. I got in an accident with my GTI (not my fault - I described it in a thread last year - and the other driver was uninsured). The accident happened 400+ miles away from where I was spending most of my time, so I just went along with the repair program just to get it solved quickly. The shop didn't do a very good job, but you still had to look VERY closely and carefully to notice the color difference.

I'll be interested to see if people notice paint quality differences on the Yaris once production shifts to France.

I think I'm back to thinking that the next Yaris in my future will be white and not silver .
Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I'll be interested to see if people notice paint quality differences on the Yaris once production shifts to France.

I think I'm back to thinking that the next Yaris in my future will be white and not silver .
I don't know....the silver paint certainly makes the car appear cleaner than it is. And it hides the dents and dings better. I definitely was not a fan of silver and wanted something more colorful but now that I've had it for a year or so, the color has grown considerably on me.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
The paint on my 07 and 10 have been top notch, I can tell you Toyota paint is superior to Honda paint for whatever that's worth

Proverbs 16:9
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
I don't know....the silver paint certainly makes the car appear cleaner than it is. And it hides the dents and dings better. I definitely was not a fan of silver and wanted something more colorful but now that I've had it for a year or so, the color has grown considerably on me.
And your paint has performed well (no issues like the OP) ?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBeard View Post
The paint on my 07 and 10 have been top notch, I can tell you Toyota paint is superior to Honda paint for whatever that's worth
What color is your 07 ?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #18
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
And your paint has performed well (no issues like the OP) ?
Nook, I've had zero issues with the paint. No chipping, fading, or any other kind of problems. Even after my passenger door was hit, the paint integrity has held, i.e. no rust or expanding paint flaking. I should also tell you that I treat my Yaris like an offroader, I never wash or wax it. The dirtier the better.

Tags
defect, hairline crack, paint, paintjob, roof