Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Shipping a Engine & Transmission...

Some of you may remember my LeBaron that burnt up this past mother's day. Well, I finally found a buyer for the whole engine/trans/turbo/intercooler for $1,300 in California. The only problem (besides that I have never pulled a engine before) is getting it down there. I am vacationing close to the buyer, but with my other cargo, I don't even want to think of trying to toss all this in the back of my Yaris. I am probably going to have to freight ship it, but am unsure of how to go about this, and how to "package" a engine and transmission. Any helpful ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks gang!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Nobody
Old 07-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
redduck

Drives: Yaris
they have companies that will come to your door package your engine and take it out. why not just give him the whole car if its burnt up?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Try the big-name trucking companies: JB Hunt, England, etc. If you need advice, I can walk you through how to package these things. You'll need a wood pallet, free at most stores or whatever, then plastic-wrap it around, and strap it down so it can be moved with a pallet jack. It's not a small endeavor; if you were closer, I could help (I have tools and pallets at work). Good luck!
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #5
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Who are these companies? I'm in WA and the buyer is in CA so I don't think he wants to deal with the whole thing, and I can have the rest of the POS hauled to the scraper for free. I wish there was a easy way to fit a chrysler 2.5L turbo & intercooler into a yaris. 350+hp in a Yaris would be sweet!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisTom73 View Post
Try the big-name trucking companies: JB Hunt, England, etc. If you need advice, I can walk you through how to package these things. You'll need a wood pallet, free at most stores or whatever, then plastic-wrap it around, and strap it down so it can be moved with a pallet jack. It's not a small endeavor; if you were closer, I could help (I have tools and pallets at work). Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I wish I was closer too! The pallet won't be a problem, plenty for free around here. At least I think some are free, lol. I'll try to contact some of the trucking companies you listed. We ship a lot of agriculture from here to CA so I should be able to find someone...
Old 07-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Meteorite Man
Passin' The Gas...Station

Drives: Same As You But Different
Send a message via Yahoo to Meteorite Man
JB Hunt, England, Swift won't even touch that freight. It's considered LTL (less than load) They are truck load carriers. They load the whole trailer usually with just one product before setting out for a dropoff to a major retailer.

What you need is an LTL carrier, Roadway, Yellow, FedEx Freight. (partial to FedEx Freight because I'm a city driver for them) I do this stuff all day long.

First make the phone calls. Tell them what you have, weight, beginning zip code and ending zip code. (from where to where) Next when you get the price, better be sitting down, find a STURDY pallet. A nice blue CHEP pallet would be nice but you didn't hear that from me. Those are huge $$$ to companies cause they belong in a pallet pool which companies use cause of their sturdiness and uniformity. Use a pallet (skid) that is square. A nice 48x48 is prefered. MAKE SURE THE OIL AND ALL FLUIDS ARE DRAINED!!!!!. As a city driver I've gone to make such pickups and refused cause it looked like the motor got pulled 5 minutes before I got there. The LTL company, A; doesn't want a spill, enviromental yada yada and B; doesn't want to damage other customer's freight that is in that trailer with an oily mess.

Wrap it in plastic. Those nice big leaf bags at Lowe's etc work great. Now secure it to to pallet. Use blocking, wedges whatever to keep it from "rolling" off the skid. It ain't riding in the "first class section" so it's going to bounce around. Even if you have to invest in one of those 4pack of web straps and criss cross twice, up through the pallet and strap the hell out of it. Make sure you strap to the top deck of the pallet and not under the whole pallet. The first time a fork lift slides through, snap...there goes your straps and your freight is going places. After you strap it, peek through where the fork blades will be going and make sure it's a clean shot through, no obstructions.

Ok, if possible, make arrangements with the LTL company to see if YOU can drop it off on THEIR dock. If not someone is going to have to be there to assist the driver load. The more the merrier. Once again, I've gone for a similair pickup and there is an old lady in the door telling me, "it's around back by the shed". Ummmmm, it's a good 800+ pounds and I have to lift this 4 foot up into the trailer? I'll be back when the "gang" is all here. The driver does not have to actually assist to load. It's a Tailgate to Tailgate operation. You ordered it, you should of made arrangements to offload/load it. If you can't get to the dock, see if they offer "liftgate" service. It's additional for some companies but if they have a truck in the area they may toss you a bone.

Ok, now paperwork. The driver will have a "Bill Of Lading" for you to fill out. All pretty easy but the company needs to know who is paying the nut. Before it leaves out, when it gets there. I ain't going anywhere without all the I's crossed and the T's dotted.

And the most important thing...at the time of delivery/recieving...will there be someone there to assist? Can it be a Dock Pickup on the other end? (we love dock pickups) , if not someone will need to help the driver. Also a dock pickup will be better for $$$ purposes. I know companies charge for a residential delivery. Remember, this ain't coming in a FedEx Package Car. (ice cream truck) It's showing up in a tractor trailer. Could be a 28' pup or a 48' trailer. If the driver can't get down the street, That is the reciever's problem.

I hope this is a answers a few questions. Go to the websites, google LTL Carriers. Their sites will give you an idea of rates, times of transport and maybe answer a few more questions. FedexFreight.com. You may find one cheaper. You'll need to pass this along to the people you sold it to. If it's going to a business/company, they may already have an account with someone.

Any other qusetions feel free to send me a message.

Chuck

Chuck
Meteorite Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
888-SHIP-911
PEI Logestics, they deal with this kind of stuff all day. I have shipped many items like this before

ask for Chris Carver, tell him Joe from Ohio sent ya
Old 07-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #9
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Thanks for the info guys! I guess I'll find some nice shrinkwrap stuff, rent a cherry picker, get that pallet and start packaging it up. Looks like there's no getting out of that one, lol.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #10
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteorite Man View Post
JB Hunt, England, Swift won't even touch that freight. It's considered LTL (less than load) They are truck load carriers. They load the whole trailer usually with just one product before setting out for a dropoff to a major retailer.

What you need is an LTL carrier, Roadway, Yellow, FedEx Freight. (partial to FedEx Freight because I'm a city driver for them) I do this stuff all day long.

First make the phone calls. Tell them what you have, weight, beginning zip code and ending zip code. (from where to where) Next when you get the price, better be sitting down, find a STURDY pallet. A nice blue CHEP pallet would be nice but you didn't hear that from me. Those are huge $$$ to companies cause they belong in a pallet pool which companies use cause of their sturdiness and uniformity. Use a pallet (skid) that is square. A nice 48x48 is prefered. MAKE SURE THE OIL AND ALL FLUIDS ARE DRAINED!!!!!. As a city driver I've gone to make such pickups and refused cause it looked like the motor got pulled 5 minutes before I got there. The LTL company, A; doesn't want a spill, enviromental yada yada and B; doesn't want to damage other customer's freight that is in that trailer with an oily mess.

Wrap it in plastic. Those nice big leaf bags at Lowe's etc work great. Now secure it to to pallet. Use blocking, wedges whatever to keep it from "rolling" off the skid. It ain't riding in the "first class section" so it's going to bounce around. Even if you have to invest in one of those 4pack of web straps and criss cross twice, up through the pallet and strap the hell out of it. Make sure you strap to the top deck of the pallet and not under the whole pallet. The first time a fork lift slides through, snap...there goes your straps and your freight is going places. After you strap it, peek through where the fork blades will be going and make sure it's a clean shot through, no obstructions.

Ok, if possible, make arrangements with the LTL company to see if YOU can drop it off on THEIR dock. If not someone is going to have to be there to assist the driver load. The more the merrier. Once again, I've gone for a similair pickup and there is an old lady in the door telling me, "it's around back by the shed". Ummmmm, it's a good 800+ pounds and I have to lift this 4 foot up into the trailer? I'll be back when the "gang" is all here. The driver does not have to actually assist to load. It's a Tailgate to Tailgate operation. You ordered it, you should of made arrangements to offload/load it. If you can't get to the dock, see if they offer "liftgate" service. It's additional for some companies but if they have a truck in the area they may toss you a bone.

Ok, now paperwork. The driver will have a "Bill Of Lading" for you to fill out. All pretty easy but the company needs to know who is paying the nut. Before it leaves out, when it gets there. I ain't going anywhere without all the I's crossed and the T's dotted.

And the most important thing...at the time of delivery/recieving...will there be someone there to assist? Can it be a Dock Pickup on the other end? (we love dock pickups) , if not someone will need to help the driver. Also a dock pickup will be better for $$$ purposes. I know companies charge for a residential delivery. Remember, this ain't coming in a FedEx Package Car. (ice cream truck) It's showing up in a tractor trailer. Could be a 28' pup or a 48' trailer. If the driver can't get down the street, That is the reciever's problem.

I hope this is a answers a few questions. Go to the websites, google LTL Carriers. Their sites will give you an idea of rates, times of transport and maybe answer a few more questions. FedexFreight.com. You may find one cheaper. You'll need to pass this along to the people you sold it to. If it's going to a business/company, they may already have an account with someone.

Any other qusetions feel free to send me a message.

Chuck
Yeah, like he said, lol. Thanks for the input!
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote