Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-09-2017, 05:39 AM   #1
tsourorf

Drives: 2008 Yaris 1.3 (Greek version)
Opening headlights and keeping them unsealed

Hello,

I have a 2008 European Mk2 Yaris (They only make hatchbacks in France).

I want to open my headlights to install LED projectors. I don't have a big enough oven and I have already tried with a heatgun but I was unsuccessful and I'm afraid I'll ruin them. Could anyone suggest a smart way of getting that glue out of my way? If not, would you expect a garage in UK would be able to help me with this kind of job?

Secondly, I intend to keep the headlights unsealed. I am thinking of using some kind of rubber and clamps to keep them relatively sealed without using any glue. Has anyone ever done that? Do you think they will have issues?

Thanks in advance for your input.
tsourorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
Goosecreekjoey

Drives: 2008 yaris
Carefully with a dremel tool. There a large number of tool ends. He would be tricky anyway. Just a thought
Goosecreekjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
tsourorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosecreekjoey View Post
Carefully with a dremel tool. There a large number of tool ends. He would be tricky anyway. Just a thought
Since this is a thought, I assume you haven't tried it yourself or know anyone that has tried it before, right?

My purpose is to open the headlight, install the projector lenses in the place of the H4 lamp and put the headlight back together in a way that will allow it to be screwed in place as before but with the ability to open easily whenever I need to change the projector lenses (This is a very long sentence, I hope it makes sense).

I am not sure how I will be able to put it back together if I cut the whole thing open.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
holy fuck, don't use a dremel!

i use a heat gun to warm up the lense/base connection and soften the adhesive. it should just pull apart from there.

I've been using exterior-grade silcone sealant from home depot for years without issues. when closing the headlights, heat up the adhesive on the lense and on the base again, fill the trough with sealant, and put them back together. let them sit overnight and reinstall the next day..

been doing this for years...

Old 05-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Old 05-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
^what Barber said, I did this on mine and had zero issues. I actually put mine in the oven for a bit before I opened them. The second time I ended up just using a heat gun
Old 05-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #7
tsourorf

Thanks for your inputs guys. However, as I say in my first post, I have tried using my heat gun but the glue does not respond in any way. I have reached the point of melting the clips parts of the base and the glue was still solid.

Do you possibly have any kind of tricks that I am not aware of?

I have two pairs of headlights; the original from mother Toyota that are dipped to the right (because my car is LHD), and a pair of DEPOs that I needed to register the car in UK (they had to be dipped to the left for RHD)...

The glue in the DEPOs seems really easy to take out. I tried poking with a knife and I could take a piece without even heating them! The Toyotas on the other hand seem to be sealed with a rock solid compound that would break diamonds! Toyota

The problem is that I need the DEPOs on the car for my daily commute and don't have the luxury of taking them off right now. I have the Toyotas out already and I want to 'play' with them instead but they keep resisting .
Old 05-14-2017, 06:57 AM   #8
Goosecreekjoey

Drives: 2008 yaris
I read your first post and That's why I suggested the dremel tool. Some glues dry and will weld them selves to the plastic. I don't care how much you heat the plastic it will melt at some point. Not saying it's the way to go but you only have so many alternatives. Get another light with the softer glue maybe. There's glue like crazy glue, and then there's silicone big difference.
Goosecreekjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
Yaris874

Drives: 07 yaris hatchback
I did mines 270 pre heat on the oven for 8 minute

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Yaris874 is offline   Reply With Quote