Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
Diagnostic

Drives: Yaris 5dr 998cc Edition 2012
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
My understanding is that only the 1.33L 2012+ European Yaris supports cruise control. Do you know if cruise is offered as an option on any of the UK 998cc Yaris?
Unfortunately after contacting the main dealer today, they have said the 998cc is not equipped with cruise for the UK. If I were to fit an aftermarket cruise system it would affect my warranty. Well I'm not worried about that but am a little cost conscious, a Google search last night revealed the price is likely to be circa £500 ($750)
Diagnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diagnostic View Post
Unfortunately after contacting the main dealer today, they have said the 998cc is not equipped with cruise for the UK. If I were to fit an aftermarket cruise system it would affect my warranty. Well I'm not worried about that but am a little cost conscious, a Google search last night revealed the price is likely to be circa £500 ($750)
I have noticed as well that the aftermarket cruise control options for European Yaris are crazy expensive. I believe that the Rostra system, which was the dealer installed cruise control option for the US for 07-08 Yaris, will work on European Yaris, nut I have not had the opportunity to test the theory yet. The Rostra kits were about $250. I actually have one of the kits in my possession, and really need to coordinate doing some experimentation on one of my European trips.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #21
Diagnostic

Quote:
I have noticed as well that the aftermarket cruise control options for European Yaris are crazy expensive. I believe that the Rostra system, which was the dealer installed cruise control option for the US for 07-08 Yaris, will work on European Yaris, nut I have not had the opportunity to test the theory yet. The Rostra kits were about $250. I actually have one of the kits in my possession, and really need to coordinate doing some experimentation on one of my European trips.

Now I'm really confused or dense; I've been assured the Rostra 250-1836 cruise stalk and the 250-4206 clutch switch will work with my car. I don't see how as its only the switches and a few wires, if the car is not pre-wired and configured theirs nothing smart for the cruise stalk to talk to. Is that right? Or am I both confused and dense? Perhaps this seller wants me to add gullible?

Information provided by: Kartronix- eBay item: 261180202724
Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Now I'm really confused or dense; I've been assured the Rostra 250-1836 cruise stalk and the 250-4206 clutch switch will work with my car. I don't see how as its only the switches and a few wires, if the car is not pre-wired and configured theirs nothing smart for the cruise stalk to talk to. Is that right? Or am I both confused and dense? Perhaps this seller wants me to add gullible?

Information provided by: Kartronix- eBay item: 261180202724
The Rostra 250-1836 definitely will not and the 250-4206 is just the clutch switch. It is the same as what I sell (but for much more money). The Rostra kit that I believe will work is the discontinued one that used a smaller stalk that mounted to the opposite side of the steering wheel and had a green LED on the stalk. That kit includes a control box that does the cruise control functionality (which your ECM lacks) and is does so by intercepting and overriding the throttle pedal signals.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #23
Conrod

Drives: 2012 Yaris YR Hatch
I bought a cruse kit off CTScott for my 2012 1.3l Yaris and it worked perfectly and took me 20 minutes to install.

Conrod
Logan City
Queensland
Australia
Conrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrod View Post
I bought a cruse kit off CTScott for my 2012 1.3l Yaris and it worked perfectly and took me 20 minutes to install.

Conrod
Logan City
Queensland
Australia
Excellent! So, now we know that both 1.5L and 1.3L Australian 3rd generation Yaris support cruise control.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:35 AM   #25
Diagnostic

Quote:
The Rostra 250-1836 definitely will not and the 250-4206 is just the clutch switch. It is the same as what I sell (but for much more money). The Rostra kit that I believe will work is the discontinued one that used a smaller stalk that mounted to the opposite side of the steering wheel and had a green LED on the stalk. That kit includes a control box that does the cruise control functionality (which your ECM lacks) and is does so by intercepting and overriding the throttle pedal signals.
Hi Scott. The now obsolete unit you mentioned above; do you have a model number and I'll try and locate one on FleaBay or alternatively perhaps you can provide the kit yourself?
Really, really want to have cruise on my 998cc
Regards
Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #26
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hi Scott. The now obsolete unit you mentioned above; do you have a model number and I'll try and locate one on FleaBay or alternatively perhaps you can provide the kit yourself?
Really, really want to have cruise on my 998cc
Regards
I can work with you with the kit that I have. We just need to verify a couple of things to confirm my theory before I ship it. I will PM you my email so we can work directly on some photos that I will need.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #27
Kubcat

Drives: 2006 and 2013
Quote:
Excellent! So, now we know that both 1.5L and 1.3L Australian 3rd generation Yaris support cruise control.
Just another confirmation that all worked well on an Australian spec 2013 1.3L automatic.

I did take photos but cant resize them to upload. Many photos on this site anyway so probably not going to add a lot of value by posting mine.

It was extremely easy, the airbag just popped out once the 3 pins were pushed in. I had disconnected the battery before removing the airbag and waited 10 minutes as was advised by a mechanic friend. All in all it took 20 minutes including the 10 minute battery wait and a call to the dealership to get the reprogramming code for the stereo. All plug and play, there was only one slot so couldn't get it wrong. All the functions and cruise control dash indicators work correctly.

The only thing that makes it look not factory is the cover plate that is removed for the cruise control stalk can't be reinstalled as is and there is a gap around it. A photo of a genuine one with a cutout would be nice so I could cut a hole in mine and make it look neater.
Kubcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #28
toyman162
Toyman162

Drives: 2007 Yaris YRX 3-Door
Quote:
I have shipped cruise control parts to Australia for installation on 3rd generation Yaris with the 1.5L engine. I am not sure about it working on the Australian 1.3L, although it does work for the European 1.33L Yaris.
G'day Scott,

I, too, am from Australia. I have a 2007 1.5 Auto Yaris, and am interested in your cruise control for my car. Do you know if the unit(s) you have sent to Australian owners have worked OK?
If so, how much are the parts shipped here?

Thanks,
John.
toyman162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #29
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman162 View Post
G'day Scott,

I, too, am from Australia. I have a 2007 1.5 Auto Yaris, and am interested in your cruise control for my car. Do you know if the unit(s) you have sent to Australian owners have worked OK?
If so, how much are the parts shipped here?

Thanks,
John.
They have worked for 2012 and newer Yaris, but I am fairly certain that they will not work for 2006-2011 Australian Yaris.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #30
CueBall
Ruler of the free world

Drives: 09 Yaris 2D HB
Quote:
...I am not sure if they are still doing so, but in the past for non-factory cruise control installation they always used the Rostra aftermarket system, rather than taking advantage of the ECM's built in functionality.
That's just dumb.. I bought the kit, (from Scott) had it installed in about an hr, and it works beautifully! Dont know why they wouldnt use the built in feature.
CueBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #31
Politronics

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
HI! I just got a used 2009 Yaris Manual Tranny Hatchback, California car. I have seen some threads about Cal cars no being prepped for the CC. They seem to say that those 2009 and newer are. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

JP
Politronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #32
krt
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 Petrol Auto
Dear CTScott and Diagnostic, have you done any advance on fitting the old controler in the UK MK2 model?
CTScott, have you had success contacting and and working together Diagnostic? If you lost contact with him, I could help you in this matter.
Thanks.
krt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #33
guitarchaos64
I've made a post!

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris le
hi scott,
i just bought a 2012 yaris and would like to install cruise control on it. i live in arizona. can i buy the parts from you?
guitarchaos64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #34
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarchaos64 View Post
hi scott,
i just bought a 2012 yaris and would like to install cruise control on it. i live in arizona. can i buy the parts from you?
Yes. PM sent.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #35
jackab

Drives: 2011 Yaris Hatchback
Hi Scott, I have a 2011 Yaris Hatchback, MT, and have been trying to install a Rostra cruise control. I've put in the 250-1836 and the clutch switch. It seems I don't need the ECM hookups and have not put them in. The light comes on at my dash, but the cruise control doesn't work. It sounds like I should just toss it and buy yours. If so, would you want all of this Rostra stuff? Any other tips? Thanks for being out there! Wish I'd found you before messing with Rostra!
jackab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #36
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackab View Post
Hi Scott, I have a 2011 Yaris Hatchback, MT, and have been trying to install a Rostra cruise control. I've put in the 250-1836 and the clutch switch. It seems I don't need the ECM hookups and have not put them in. The light comes on at my dash, but the cruise control doesn't work. It sounds like I should just toss it and buy yours. If so, would you want all of this Rostra stuff? Any other tips? Thanks for being out there! Wish I'd found you before messing with Rostra!
If the cruise symbol lights up, then you are good for the ECM connection. If your can't get the "SET" light to come on (and the cruise to actually work), then the clutch switch may not be installed correctly.

The clutch switch needs to be fully depressed when the clutch pedal is not touched in order for cruise to work. If you installed the switch in too far, then it will not actuate when the clutch is at rest and therefore will not allow cruise to work.

The Rostra 250-1836 kit is essentially identical to what I sell, but for a whole lot more money. (The older kits were a custom Rostra product, but the new ones are just the OEM switch, etc.)