Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Even With The A/C

Okay, so I was able to get 43.xx mpg (I should have wrote it down) on this tank of gas. It was 99% freeway. I was doing really good, considering I was at the 150 mile mark with only the first bar gone, but, I had to drive and carpool today. So that means a total of four people with the A/C constantly on (after my trip of 150 miles) at a fan speed of 2 and 3, all while traveling 60 mph. All of that A/C usage and today's trip bringing my tank all the way down to a 1/4 tank left, and I was able to get 43.xx mpg on fill up. I'm satisfied with that. Thank you Brian (BailOut) for the tips again. I utilized what ever I could on this tank. Woohoo!
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
i got 37 on my last tank after putting on a new axle back and driving it with some sportiness to it trying out the new sound :)

i love the yaris :) even when you play around the gas mileage is still great :)
Old 06-10-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
i got 37 on my last tank after putting on a new axle back and driving it with some sportiness to it trying out the new sound :)

i love the yaris :) even when you play around the gas mileage is still great :)
Yeah it is. Good job, btw. But I hate how it makes you want MORE!!!!!! hahahaha.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
SaerinRhoe
'09 Yaris

Drives: '09 Yaris
Congrats! I'm still floating around 42.4 - 42.6 mpg per tank so I'm hoping that higher numbers will come as the weather warms up some more.

S.R.

Last edited by SaerinRhoe; 06-10-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo
SaerinRhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaerinRhoe View Post
Congrats! I'm still floating around 42.4 - 42.6 mpg per tank so I'm hoping that higher numbers will come as the weather warms up some more.

S.R.
Damn good job. What hypermiling tricks do you do?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Yeah, even with AC these easily do 40+ mpg. That's why I question those who will sweat in their cars to save gas.

Hey Kaotic, an off topic question since you mentioned car-pooling: With your 17's and lowered suspension, does your car maintain enough wheel clearence with 4 people in it? What is the estimated weight of the four people?

Sometimes I and 3 other large adults (I'm 260 lbs and the others average about 220) pile in and it sinks my stock suspension on stock wheels pretty low. That type of load really taxes the Yaris but it handles it (although it is well over the factory recommended weight capacity).

I ask because I will soon be getting rims and lowering springs and don't want to run into issues (although most of the time it's only 1 or 2 riding in it)..

Thanks man.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Yeah, even with AC these easily do 40+ mpg. That's why I question those who will sweat in their cars to save gas.

Hey Kaotic, an off topic question since you mentioned car-pooling: With your 17's and lowered suspension, does your car maintain enough wheel clearence with 4 people in it? What is the estimated weight of the four people?

Sometimes I and 3 other large adults (I'm 260 lbs and the others average about 220) pile in and it sinks my stock suspension on stock wheels pretty low. That type of load really taxes the Yaris but it handles it (although it is well over the factory recommended weight capacity).

I ask because I will soon be getting rims and lowering springs and don't want to run into issues (although most of the time it's only 1 or 2 riding in it)..

Thanks man.
It really depends on how low you will go and the offset of your rims. My rims are 17x7" with an offset of +40. The S.Tech's lower it about 2 inches for the sedan. I weigh about 135lbs, and one of my friends weigh 160 or 180 (I forget). My other two friends weigh about 110 each. We have backpacks and laptops, but those don't weigh too much. With all of that, I still don't rub (other than the usual freeway dip rubs). I've also had camping gear with two other people who weigh about 110 each. Just the usual rubbing again. When my dad was still alive, I had his wheel chair and some bags in the trunk, and a total weight of about ~580 lbs of passenger weight, and no rubbing (was on the stock 15" steelies at this time).
Old 06-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
It really depends on how low you will go and the offset of your rims. My rims are 17x7" with an offset of +40. The S.Tech's lower it about 2 inches for the sedan. I weigh about 135lbs, and one of my friends weigh 160 or 180 (I forget). My other two friends weigh about 110 each. We have backpacks and laptops, but those don't weigh too much. With all of that, I still don't rub (other than the usual freeway dip rubs). I've also had camping gear with two other people who weigh about 110 each. Just the usual rubbing again. When my dad was still alive, I had his wheel chair and some bags in the trunk, and a total weight of about ~580 lbs of passenger weight, and no rubbing (was on the stock 15" steelies at this time).

Thanks! Geez, your HALF my weight. And I'm just 6'1" with a 37" waist but I was into bodybuilding for a while. My crew of four equal over 900lbs in the Yaris.

I would definitely not go more than a 2" drop. I'm still debating whether to go 16 or 17". The pro's and con's seem to equal out and it's driving me nuts trying to decide.

But anyway, sorry to take your thread on a tangent.

Last edited by Kal-El; 06-11-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Thanks! Geez, your HALF my weight. And I'm just 6'1" with a 37" waist but I was into bodybuilding for. My crew of four equal over 900lbs in the Yaris.

I would definitely not go more than a 2" drop. I'm still debating whether to go 16 or 17". The pro's and con's seem to equal out and it's driving me nuts trying to decide.

But anyway, sorry to take your thread on a tangent.
hahaha, I'm working on gaining weight. hahahah.

I'd probably go with 16's in your case. It'll give a bit more tire wall for more shock absorbing.

And don't worry about straying off to a tangent, I really don't mind if my threads go off topic. hahaha.