Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Need some help with future plans

This is a call out to those with experience either with a Yaris or something similar as a dedicated track car/turbo build

In the next 2 years I'll be moving to a larger house with a garage. This gives me the option to buy a cheap used Yaris to use as a daily. I am then left facing 2 options of which I keep going back and fourth on.

Option 1: Keep the Yaris as a rough DDer and eventually pass it along to my son if it lasts another 15 years (body in great shape). I say "rough" DDer because it is set up as a track car so it's not smooth and it goes through gas much quicker than a stock 1nz. Then use what money I have to buy a RWD dedicated track car (not street legal) such as a Miata - something with a ton of aftermarket options that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Lots of those online for sale but looking in the range of $13-19 grand CAD for a track build that is set up well. I'd rather buy someone elses project then start from scratch as it's cheaper.

Option 2: Buy a used cheap DDer Yaris that is good on gas, cheap to run and comfy. Oh and also an A/T so my wife can drive it if need be - this is a bonus as she currently cannot drive my car. I would then take my current 2zr swapped yaris and turn it into a track specific car that isn't street legal. I would be able to strip out a ton of weight and run a stand alone ecu to take advantage of either a potential turbo swap or a solid NA build with cams and lightweight crankshaft. Without the limitation of it being street legal and have to pass an e test there is a lot that could be done.

I have a decent amount of money in my Yaris as it sits and I really do like the car and how fast it can be. There just is a limited aftermarket and at the end of the day it likely won't be as fun as a rwd car with a ton of aftermarket potential. I'm just realizing that it would still likely cost more to buy and take over another persons track car then to just build up my Yaris. The major limit on it now is the power. I'd ideally like around 200whp to make it very competitive.

So my question is: How hard/complex is it to run a yaris on a standalone ecu (no e test limitations) so that it can be tuned properly. I know this pertains to a 2zr but it likely isn't much different than a 1nz in terms of difficulty. I've done car electrical before but nothing as in depth as wiring an ecu but I am fully open to trying it. Since I would have a dd I would be able tot ake my time and slowly chip away at it. I just don't want to go this route if it doesn't really work properly with Toyota engines.

I'm looking for insight from those that have been down this road, or something similar.