Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
kac

Drives: 2009 Meteorite 3dr
Successful Gauge Cluster Swap

I'm happy about this mod. It looks great and it works well!!!

Old cluster:

New cluster:

I've got a 2009 USDM 3dr liftback. The new cluster is from a 2008 Canadian liftback.

Bought it on eBay, and it works great (including and especially the tach).

Yes, WarMachine is the guardian of the gauge cluster.

Last edited by kac; 05-10-2010 at 04:13 PM.
kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
kac

yes, I'm using KM now. My next oil change is due at approximately 64940KM.

My car actually has 31867 KM on it not 64320. So when I calculate my "milage" I will always have to subtract 32,453 KM
Old 05-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
wow finding one on ebay huh? how much.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
kac

$49.94 shipped to my doorset from Canada. Didn't have any trouble finding one at all. Just have to be willing to put a 2008 cluster into a 2009 yaris.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I don';t even understand how you guys can drive manual WITHOUT a tach
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
Really? I drove manuals for years, and never looked at the tach. I shifted more on "feel" rather than what the instruments were saying...

But since I've moved on to an auto, it's even easier; but even then, I still tend to shift my auto a lot!

Cheers! M2
Old 05-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
kac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
My first car was a Honda Civic with a 5-speed and no tach... I've had this yaris for a year without a tach... but the last few hours with a tach have been more fun.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
ezhacker1

yeah i see at least 1 on ebay, but im still happy with the price i paid for my S Cluster in miles

Old 05-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
Meteorite_Marty

Drives: 2008 5-door Yaris Hatchback
Living in Canada, I got the same guage cluster as stock. I really love it, and the white LEDs look so nice. It looks so much better than the orange.

I like the look so much, that I did the rest of my dash lighting (heater/ac, transmission, radio, window controls, door locks) in white LED to match.

Good choice on the swap!!!
Meteorite_Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #10
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I can shift by the feel too, but it's so weird the concept driving manual without a tach :)
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #11
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Is it legal to do this?
Will the old pod still read where it left off and make it look as though your car has low milage?

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #12
Meteorite_Marty

Drives: 2008 5-door Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Is it legal to do this?
Will the old pod still read where it left off and make it look as though your car has low milage?
Yah, good question. You have way different mileage on the each of the clusters.
Meteorite_Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #13
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Is it legal to do this?
nope, this is very illegal. the car now will have no memory of ur prevous reading. stay away from dealerships and cars inspections or u can get screwed over. other thing is when i had an extra dash (i never tried it) but it appeares the display section can be swapped (mine is a '10 and the other was anytime from the beginning of time to '09) i dont know if it would carry over the reading or not, or keep reading for that matter. also something i heard was there is a way to swap the reading from km to mi. how i do not know but thats how i understood it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteorite_Marty View Post
Living in Canada, I got the same guage cluster as stock. I really love it, and the white LEDs look so nice. It looks so much better than the orange.

I like the look so much, that I did the rest of my dash lighting (heater/ac, transmission, radio, window controls, door locks) in white LED to match.

Good choice on the swap!!!
as for you.....WTF, Y DID U GET WHITE! lol, i didn't realize the 08's came white. mine is stupid ugly fugly gay orange and now i need to work to change (apparently) 50ish wedge LEDs, lol. now i will jsut look into getting a canadian white dash......
Old 05-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #14
kac

Haven't seen any car inspectors in my lifetime so I'll try and keep it that way. Super easy to swap back in the stock cluster if need be, and no-one has to know this one was in it (except you guys...).
Old 05-11-2010, 01:25 AM   #15
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by kac View Post
Haven't seen any car inspectors in my lifetime so I'll try and keep it that way. Super easy to swap back in the stock cluster if need be, and no-one has to know this one was in it (except you guys...).
i was gonna do that, keep my millage low on one cluster and add it to the other but i thought about it and between calculating interval for oil change and pain in the ass to keep swapping it out, i didn't find it worth it (also since my car is new i do all the servicing at the dealer, they could possibally give me one more headache.

other thing to keep in mind(in canada at least) when u renew ur ownership every year u write down ur millage and the government keeps it on file....
Old 05-11-2010, 01:36 AM   #16
kac

Yeah I don't have any of that write down my milage stuff. And I do not plan on putting the stock cluster back in any time soon at all. I've got milage calculated in KM now to know when my oil change intervals are, and I do all my own servicing, and if there is something I don't know how to do I seek the help of a friendly mechanic, not a dealership, so I should be good.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:13 AM   #17
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
do it, kilomters is fun. I'm running an RS cluster, did one early oil change, and now I am set...every 8000kilomters for oil change.

And on a side note...dealers can pull the actual mileage of your car regardless whether the cluster says one thing or the other. I've already told my dealership about it, 1800mile difference...and they dont seem to care~~

If you are driving the car down to the ground, who cares...free to do whatever you feel like w/ it. And if trade-in time comes, they can send the cluster to a company and have them calibrate to correct engine miles..it's a win-win deal, as long as you are honest as possible w/ the people~~
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #18
ezhacker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post

And on a side note...dealers can pull the actual mileage of your car regardless whether the cluster says one thing or the other. I've already told my dealership about it, 1800mile difference...and they dont seem to care~~
Really? Lol the entire San Francisco to LA trip and back was on my stock cluster. Well doesnt matter, my "real" mileage is still way under the warranty miles per year.