Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2015, 01:56 AM   #1
quistis

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Shaky over road imperfections at high speeds

Hello,
I have been lurking for a month now - even before purchasing my car! A few weeks ago, I purchased a 2007 Yaris. My last car was a 2000 Echo. Loved the car, but it was time to move on from her.

Since getting my Yaris, I have noticed that my car shakes while traveling over rough patches in the road at high speeds (highway/expressway). It seems like it is the back end. I had the tires balanced, but that did not correct the issue. With winter approaching, this could be a safety issue.

Is this something with the Yaris model? Does anyone know the issue I am trying to describe and could tell me what (and roughly how much) it is to fix?

Thank you so much!
quistis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
need more info to help you out. What do you means "shakes" going over rough road at high speeds?

does it happen going straight, cornering, what types of rough road, does the car start to shimmy...?
Old 10-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
The Yaris (especially 2007-2011) benefits greatly from a rear sway bar installation, in terms of increasing stability at highway speeds, on rough roads, and in cornering. A TRD rear sway bar should have been standard equipment on every one that rolled out of the factory.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
On stock wheels and tires I found that the car seems to bounce around the road a bit more than my liking at freeway speeds, but you'd have to elaborate on what you mean by "shaky".
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #5
quistis

By shaky, I think it is more like swaying. So, maybe what Kalispel said is the issue. If the car goes over any rough patch at 55+, it feels like shakes or sways back and forth. It moves me from side to side roughly three times. A passenger riding with me on Saturday also noticed the movement. I am concerned that the tires are moving side to side while they are moving forward.

So the car is missing a rear sway bar, I take it. I had sway bar issues with my Echo. The same sway bar was replaced twice. How much does it cost to add one?
Old 10-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by quistis View Post
By shaky, I think it is more like swaying. So, maybe what Kalispel said is the issue. If the car goes over any rough patch at 55+, it feels like shakes or sways back and forth. It moves me from side to side roughly three times. A passenger riding with me on Saturday also noticed the movement. I am concerned that the tires are moving side to side while they are moving forward.

So the car is missing a rear sway bar, I take it. I had sway bar issues with my Echo. The same sway bar was replaced twice. How much does it cost to add one?
I believe that a new TRD Rear Sway Bar is around $170 or so.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:55 AM   #7
quistis

Thank you!
Old 11-01-2015, 07:10 AM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Check you tire pressures too. Too high of pressure can overwhelm the shocks and cause the tires to bounce off the road.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007, expressway, highway, highway shaking, shaky