Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #37
mrrock

Drives: yaris 2dr hatch
question? has anyone had hesitation with electronic throttle

I have an issue where my throttle doesn't seem to work when I press down;
it's only when starting off in first or reverse. If I stop and wait a second or two it all seems fine. Has anyone else experienced this??
mrrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #38
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
yep , both our YARIS do this . It's like there's a dead spot in the pedal when going from a stop . Hopefully won't get rear ended by someone in a hurry thanks to this hesitation .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #39
mrrock

Drives: yaris 2dr hatch
interesting that your 08 and 10 are doing the same thing.
I had mentioned to my dealer and they have not heard anything about it.
mrrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #40
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009BBPliftback View Post
and people wonder why i still prefer a car thats actually made in Japan..
ya, all we've had is the flammable sound deadening...
Old 01-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #41
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
its just funny that 99% of the cars affected were in the States, all over the world not even a peep.....
past oversea foible

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIA...ews/34275.html

http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/...yota_yaris.htm
Old 01-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #42
2009BBPliftback

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB in Blazing blue
Send a message via AIM to 2009BBPliftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
ya, all we've had is the flammable sound deadening...
That must have been prior to my purchase of a Yaris.
2009BBPliftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #43
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

The recall on the accelerator cites problems with moisture and corrosion sticking in a part from a single supplier. I haven't seen the name of the supplier in any of the news reports, but the recalled cars were built in North America. The Yaris comes from Japan. Mine had a window sticker attesting to its 0% US or Canadian content.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #44
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdms View Post
I second that! Japan's QC is far superior to US's. Toyota might try and enforce it in the US plants but it probably doesn't get done..
this is mythology. toyota executives in 2009 applauded the cambridge plant in canada because the problems per 100 vehicles for the corolla were lower there than at any of their japanese plants. in fact, they were pondering what the plants in japan could learn from the cabridge operation. plants in canada and the u.s. operate under the same QC controls as they do in japan.

having spent parts of 3 years in japan and knowing several on the line workers at a toyota plant, i can assure you that assembly workers attitudes are nothing like they were 10-20 years ago. they no longer have a lifetime of employment security and their economy has been faultering for some time. their loyalty is to whoever can employ them.

if the yaris were built in the u.s. or canada, i expect nobody would notice one bit of difference. the only differences that will generally occur is with different (which does not mean better) components used in japanese plants vs candian/u.s. plants. so many parts are outsourced. it is not as though the parts used in japanese built cars are all designed and manufactured in that country.

as was mentioned, the japanese made yaris already had a recall, correct?
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:52 PM   #45
eht13

Drives: .
http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/27/news...ta_sales_halt/
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #46
YANNA07

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
I have a 07 LB, 5 speed, speed control, 30K miles. The other day while backing from a parking space the throttle would not respond to the accellerator pedal. After about 5seconds everything was back to normal. No problem since. Does make one a bit anxious.
YANNA07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #47
thebarber
daily driver

as lover of all cars, im hoping that this incident takes the haters on this site down a couple pegs.

as a toyota driver, it kinda sucks for resale, lol
Old 01-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #48
markitect

Drives: Yaris
The accelerator that is now being blamed is made by CTS Corp, which is North American. So we should be ok.

The thing that confuses me is CTS supplies more then just Toyota, and it doesn't seem like the Toyota unit would be much different(if at all) from the ones sold to other car makers. I wonder if there will be more recalls down the road.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #49
eht13

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by eht13 View Post
Reading this again and thinking about this part more...

"Toyota, which last week had been forced to recall 2.3 million vehicles spread across eight of its models due to problems with a sticking accelerator, announced Tuesday night that it would stop selling those vehicles for an indeterminate period as it scrambles to find a solution.

The models affected include the company's three best sellers in the U.S. -- the Camry, Corolla and Rav4 SUV, which between them accounted for more than half of the Toyota brand's U.S. sales in 2009. Five North American plants will halt production of these vehicles."

... makes me wonder whether dealers will feel more motivated to negotiate on the prices of the other models they can still sell in the meantime, such as the Yaris, in order to help out sales numbers overall.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #50
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by markitect View Post
The accelerator that is now being blamed is made by CTU Corp, which is North American. So we should be ok.
Maybe we should skip the recall and get Jack Bauer on this!!

Maybe this is all a ruse to get "Crashy" - if that really is his name - covered under warranty...hmm CTScott!!??!!
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #51
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by markitect View Post
The accelerator that is now being blamed is made by CTS Corp, which is North American. So we should be ok.

The thing that confuses me is CTS supplies more then just Toyota, and it doesn't seem like the Toyota unit would be much different(if at all) from the ones sold to other car makers. I wonder if there will be more recalls down the road.
This was kind of interesting from the AP story. I assume that this was with the FRP made cars. I wonder if CTS supplies to FRP as well.

"Starting in December 2008, similar problems were reported in Europe with the Aygo and Yaris models. Toyota said it lengthened a part and changed the material to fix the problem, starting in August 2009."
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #52
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
At least these posts show that it's not all just driver stupidity, we ARE dealing with a real problem with a physical part, not just a floor mat -- so can we just drop that?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #53
BuildCode

Drives: Black 5-Spd Sedan S
mine has this too, I haven't pinned down the exact circumstances that cause it, but it's certainly more noticeable when you go quickly from no/little pedal to much more. It's not exactly a confidence inspiring feature of the Yaris ;)

blarg my post was moved here - edited to point out my post has nothing to do with the pedal recall (although who knows, it could )

Last edited by BuildCode; 01-30-2010 at 01:02 PM.
BuildCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #54
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
the automaic '09 5 door that we traded in for the 2010 automatic 3 door did it as well .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote