Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #181
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
For sure! But gas price is CRAZY lately, it was 101.5 this morning. forkin' gas stations. no wonder they makes more and more each year. Good thing we all drive Yaris instead of some idiot driving SUV and complain about gas afterward.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:15 PM   #182
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
It is now over 110 cents per litre here in BC. I am glad that I have a Yaris. One of my ways to fight high oil price is to buy some good oil company shares or invest in mutual funds that put money in oil companies. Investment in mutual funds can be started with as little as a few hundred dollars. When oil price goes up, so will the prices of the shares or the fund units. Note: I am not a financial advisor. Consult an expert before anyone goes ahead.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:51 AM   #183
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Of course, the second any of us do that the price of oil will drop like a rock.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:26 AM   #184
Funnypants

Drives: crappy rental cars
I don't think there's much chance we'll ever see 50 cent gas again. Ever heard of Peak Oil?
http://www.energybulletin.net/primer.php

That's one of the main reasons I'm getting a Yaris. Even if gas goes up to $3 a litre, it'll still just cost my wife and I $24 in gas to get from our house to Toronto and back - same price that GO Transit is already charging for 2 return tickets!
Funnypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #185
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Just do the math. I summed up what I get with my toyota tacoma which gets 20 miles to the gallon over a year. I usually drive 12.000 miles. So times the 2.30 average now in gas here and it comes to 1,380 dollars.

Then you add what my new yaris will cost. Comes to 690.00 dollars.

But if you go to 3.00 a gallon which it should be by this summer. The tacoma comes to 1,800 dollars for a year with 12,000 miles driven. And the yaris comes to 900.00 dollars for the year. A savings of almost a 1000 dollars.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:34 PM   #186
swng

And you folks can invest the money that your Yarises will save for you in oil company stocks. If gasoline price further increases to $5-6 a gallon, you will gain enough money to buy a new Yaris. Just kidding.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:37 PM   #187
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
Of course, the second any of us do that the price of oil will drop like a rock.
So only oil companies win. We can't .
Old 04-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #188
mygrnthmb
swappin cogs

Drives: 07 Yaris l/b 5spd
Send a message via Yahoo to mygrnthmb
what burns me is the huge SUV people are the ones that keep demand so high which keeps prices so high....
mygrnthmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:31 PM   #189
foober

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygrnthmb
what burns me is the huge SUV people are the ones that keep demand so high which keeps prices so high....
Thats why in america all the hype is over the biggest most elaborate. I believe everything you hear via the media is that you have to have the biggest most tricked out thing. And if you don't have the biggest most expensive thing you are supposedly thought of as less. Alot of americans fall for it.

I think were gonna hear a loud whineing sound pretty soon when gas goes over 3.00 dollars a gallon.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #190
YotaYarisUSA

Drives: Yaris Sedan,Pacific Blue
My yaris will be an automatic, I live in the U.S, I will drive mainly highway to and from work about 50 miles around trip. I live in the country with curvey and mountain roads, what kind of mileage should I expect from the Yaris S.Sedan automatic? Will it really get me the 39 miles? I've heard that the Corolla gets better mileage and that the Corolla is a better highway car is this ture?

Thanks

YotaYarisUSA
YotaYarisUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:19 PM   #191
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i can't speak for driving in mountainous roads, but if you are driving mostly highway, you should get 39 mpg.

i get 6.7 L/100 km, which is about 35 mpg and that is mostly city driving.

(i found this conversion website which might be of interest because the whole metric/imperial thing drives me insane:

http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/fuel_economy.php
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:47 PM   #192
swng

I have learned from somewhere, may be this board, about this site offering similar services:
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...ut.cfm?attr=16
Old 04-03-2006, 07:46 AM   #193
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
those are great tools for canadians because it seems most n american car info is in imperial, so it is nice to be able to compare
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:02 AM   #194
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnypants
I don't think there's much chance we'll ever see 50 cent gas again. Ever heard of Peak Oil?
http://www.energybulletin.net/primer.php

That's one of the main reasons I'm getting a Yaris. Even if gas goes up to $3 a litre, it'll still just cost my wife and I $24 in gas to get from our house to Toronto and back - same price that GO Transit is already charging for 2 return tickets!
I disagree with the ideas presented on the website.

Even the Russian scientist who came up with the idea that oil was a fossil fuel does not believe it anymore.

Basically, he now believes that oil is created as a byproduct of the Earth doing its thing.

I have all sorts of evidence type stuff at home. If I remember to I will post some of it.

This is a good starting page for the idea:
http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/1130.html
Old 04-03-2006, 10:38 AM   #195
Funnypants

Drives: crappy rental cars
I hope they're wrong too. I'd love it if the earth was filled with a creamy nougat of everlasting, self-replenishing oil. I really would!

But if oil is abiotic and fields are refilling, why did world production stop increasing in 2004? See:
http://www.theoildrum.com/storyonly/2006/3/1/3402/63420

Not trying to start a flame war, and I respect your opinion. Science is about lookng for truth, and theories like Peak Oil and Abiotic Oil will be proven/disproven over time.

I guess I'd rather prepare for the worst instead of just hoping for the best.
Funnypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #196
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

The problem is people have been saying,"Why peak oil is probably about now." for the past 30 or so years. Even if we really are running out of oil, our scientists have absolutely no idea how much oil is left in the ground.

We know the Saudi's are blatantly lying about how much oil is in their fields, not to mention we are finding new oil fields all the time, then their is the fact that most of the US fields are capped, they are full of oil, but they are not being pumped, etc, etc,etc.

Even if you think "fossil fuels" are such, there is not 1 human being on this planet that accurately knows how much is left.

I believe conserving oil is a good thing for other reasons, but scientists simply have no idea what we have in the ground.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #197
foober

Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
The problem is people have been saying,"Why peak oil is probably about now." for the past 30 or so years. Even if we really are running out of oil, our scientists have absolutely no idea how much oil is left in the ground.

We know the Saudi's are blatantly lying about how much oil is in their fields, not to mention we are finding new oil fields all the time, then their is the fact that most of the US fields are capped, they are full of oil, but they are not being pumped, etc, etc,etc.

Even if you think "fossil fuels" are such, there is not 1 human being on this planet that accurately knows how much is left.

I believe conserving oil is a good thing for other reasons, but scientists simply have no idea what we have in the ground.
I read that the iraq war thing was becasue iraq under hussein was going to open the oil spickets and flood the international market with oil to make oil way to plentiful and alot cheaper. Which big buisness oil did not want.

Were gonna have oil for a while. But its how the big petrol companys want to deal it out is what will determine the cost. They could have gone to alternative fuels years ago. But if you want to control people its good to have a product that you can control how much is available.

Last edited by foober; 04-03-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:38 PM   #198
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
Just came back from doing a long distance trip with my yaris when from the south shore of montreal filled the car to the max with 41 liters there and i was able to make it to mississauga just by sir winston churchill exit on one tank of gas. I had my girlfriend with me and about 2 hockey bags full of stuff to bring down about 45 kg each. i did about 560km which i think is good with all that weight and wind on the 401. When i filled the tank in mississauga it took about 39 liters .
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote