Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Took My Yaris To The Car Wash

Not because it was terribly dirty inside and out (although its been a long time since it was cleaned...rain works pretty good!) but the inside of the windshield was getting horribly filmy if you know what I mean. Driving at night was getting dangerous from all the glare.

At the car wash after its all over about six guys go all over the car. One thing they do is wipe the inside of the windows with a pretty grungy looking terry cloth towel with something on it. Its mostly unlikely looking that that towel is going to do any good at all! That's why I went there...to have them clean the inside of the windows.

The towel may look like a disaster but whatever they put on it...the inside of the windows come out PERFECT! I had made a mess only worse with paper towels and windex.

My question is...does anybody have any idea what they use on the terrycloth towel? I tried asking them once but they just look confused and say something I don't understand in Mexican.

Did you ever work in a car wash and what did they use on the inside of the windows?

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
The most important thing about cleaning auto windows is avoiding typical household glass cleaners which contain ammonia - most especially on the inside windows (and NEVER-ever on tinted window film). If your current cleaner does not state “ammonia-free” or “safe for tinted windows” you should find another glass cleaner. You can easily find ammonia-free and tint-safe glass cleaners at auto stores, and they even do a much better job of cleaning your bathroom mirrors and such inside your house and leaving them streak/film free (with the right applicator (see below).

Also, opt from a quality, clean microfiber cloth (or even an old cotton t-shirt rag) for glass cleaning instead of paper towels, if your desire is to avoiding further streaking and film/residue. Paper towels are abrasive and contain dyes and adhesives that will undoubtedly leave streaks. In addition, paper towels leave lint.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
bronsin

Thanks I will be on the lookout for non ammonia based cleaners.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
A trick my dad taught me years ago, was to use newspaper to clean the windows. I don't do it anymore, but I know it always worked well. Also I do use foaming glass cleaner in a can. I actually use the Toyota stuff, I was a parts manager at a Toyota dealer before they promoted to one of our other dealerships, and really liked it.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:53 AM   #5
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Invisible Glass works for me.

http://www.invisibleglass.com/
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
bronsin

Yes Ive done the newspaper thing too in the past....but forgot about it! I guess that will come in to play when I retire.

But for now I'll be checking out all your suggestions!

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2015, 05:28 AM   #7
paulge3

Drives: '11 Yaris
I like using Megs Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner. It has no ammonia also and leaves no streaks.
paulge3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #8
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
haha... this is one of those threads.

I remember having great results with newspaper, back in my younger days.

Nowadays, I detail on the side. I've tried stuff from Meguiar's (including the Perfect Clarity), Rain-X, Windex, Mothers, and like 2 or 3 others. I've also tried various types of microfiber towels. I have some that cost 5$ each, to some that cost 0.50$ each.

FOR ME, the combination I like best, is Mothers Window Cleaner (I think currently called ReVision) coupled with those cheap blue shop TOWELS from the local auto parts store.

I still have quite a bit of window cleaners mentioned above. If you want to try some out, I can send you some samples. Just pay for the shipping and a buck to pay for a cheap little bottle (1$ for each bottle), and I'll send it out to you.

My mothers is running low, and I'll gladly pay the high cost to get another bottle. I'll be looking to buy it in bulk next time.

Oh, and it's "safe and ammonia-free, so it won’t harm your tinted window film."

side note: The cleaners with built-in wax can be a pain in the butt to get completely clean. Way more effort than just plain cleaners.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:14 AM   #9
bronsin

Thanks for the kind offer!

I think though Im going to go the newspaper route...
Old 07-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #10
justjesus

and newspaper is cheap!
Old 07-23-2015, 07:22 PM   #11
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
FOR ME, the combination I like best, is Mothers Window Cleaner (I think currently called ReVision) coupled with those cheap blue shop TOWELS from the local auto parts store.
Are you talking about the blue towels on a roll like regular paper towels come on?

If so I will have to give them a try. I've never used them to clean glass, normally I use a glass specific microfiber towel but they do sometimes leave streaks.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #12
justjesus

^ Yes, those blue towels on a roll. I use two towels (for a windshield). One is for wiping the glass cleaner around and drying, and the second towel is used for a final wipe/buff. Use more towels as needed for additional windows.

Yeah, I wouldn't have thought of using them for windows, but "discovered" them for glass by accident. I was moving a car that was being stored (away from my home) for a couple of years. SOOOO much dirt on the windows. I didn't have anything on me, so I just picked up those towels and some glass cleaner from the nearest auto parts store. I used them again on a whim when I got a sample of the Mother's and fell in love with the combination.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #13
Finboy

Drives: 12 5 door LE
For cleaning mirrors and glass

Just a bit of water to dampen and cleans streek and lint free

http://www.kdcloth.com/
Finboy is offline   Reply With Quote