Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
chilly79

Drives: 09, 3dr, LB, Carmine Red
HELP! Interior Light Color Change Speedo broke

OK so I just got a 2009 hatchback from a used car dealer and the jerk busted out the check engine light. Somehow I missed this and I have been kicking myself ever since.

I saw the DIY on the light change and thought that would work great since I just need to replace the light. The issue is when I got it all the way down to where you have to pull the circuit board off it will not come loose on the side with the ODO on it. I looked under the board and I am not sure if pulling up will break it off or not. So I decided to put it back together and do some more research. For some reason though the speedometer no longer works. Everything else works fine. I pulled straight up lie the instructions said and it does not seem like I broke anything. I thought that maybe I did not plug something back up but then the lights would not work. Was there some special way I was supposed to put the needle back on?

So at this point I either need to figure out how to get the board off without breaking the Odometer screen or buy a new Gauge cluster. In the mean time I did want a working speedometer though. Anyone have a clue what I did?

Last edited by chilly79; 10-25-2010 at 09:01 AM.
chilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
To remove the PCB, you have to remove the front trim ring (the black part), remove the speedo needle and remove the overlay. Then, CAREFULLY remove the odo. It is a chip-on-glass LCD, which means that it is really easy to crack. Then, you flip it over and there are two tabs that stick through slots in the PCB. Release them and the PCB is free.

As for the speedometer, make sure that the tube is actually on the shaft, and not along side of it. Also, make sure that the core module (the smaller piggy back PCB) is properly seated.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
chilly79

I was going to take it apart tonight to see if I could figure out what I did to the speedo. I thought I got it on there right though.

The LCD was my issue. It seems to be connected to the PCB directly. It looks like I could lift the LCD up and slide the it through the white housing when I pull off the PCB. I was not sure though and thought that this might break it.

So are you saying that I need to remove the odo LCD from the front after I pull off the overlay?

I hope this works I would really like to be able to fix this instead of getting a new one. I saw all the threads about mileage issues after changing a cluster that I would rather avoid.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly79 View Post
I was going to take it apart tonight to see if I could figure out what I did to the speedo. I thought I got it on there right though.

The LCD was my issue. It seems to be connected to the PCB directly. It looks like I could lift the LCD up and slide the it through the white housing when I pull off the PCB. I was not sure though and thought that this might break it.

So are you saying that I need to remove the odo LCD from the front after I pull off the overlay?

I hope this works I would really like to be able to fix this instead of getting a new one. I saw all the threads about mileage issues after changing a cluster that I would rather avoid.
Yes - The LCD pulls out from the front once it overlay is removed.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
chilly79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Yes - The LCD pulls out from the front once it overlay is removed.

Thanks I will try this when I get home.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
chilly79

OK I got my speedo working again and I was able to remove the LCD odo. When I got to the PCB I saw the lights and my thought was to remove a light from something like the windshield wiper fluid spot then solder it to the check engine. That did not work. I have done some soldering before but never on something like this. What I am use to is the lights that have wire that go through the board. Looks easy enough to put one on but I can't get one off. Since my thought is to reuse it I did not want to break the light. So at this point I guess I will just order me some lights and put new ones on. I know how to take it apart now so might as well. Guess I will go ahead and change the other lights out as well.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
OK I got my speedo working again and I was able to remove the LCD odo. When I got to the PCB I saw the lights and my thought was to remove a light from something like the windshield wiper fluid spot then solder it to the check engine. That did not work. I have done some soldering before but never on something like this. What I am use to is the lights that have wire that go through the board. Looks easy enough to put one on but I can't get one off. Since my thought is to reuse it I did not want to break the light. So at this point I guess I will just order me some lights and put new ones on. I know how to take it apart now so might as well. Guess I will go ahead and change the other lights out as well.
The LEDs require proper polarity, unlike a bulb. Try flipping around the one that you soldered in. Getting them off is much easier with a soldering iron made for surface mount parts, with a tweezers end which heats both sides at the same time.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
chilly79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The LEDs require proper polarity, unlike a bulb. Try flipping around the one that you soldered in. Getting them off is much easier with a soldering iron made for surface mount parts, with a tweezers end which heats both sides at the same time.
I know about the polarity I just never got one off and don't have any new ones yet. I will have to go look different soldering irons. I just got one from Radio Shack. I did not see any like you described.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I know about the polarity I just never got one off and don't have any new ones yet. I will have to go look different soldering irons. I just got one from Radio Shack. I did not see any like you described.
Radio Shack is pretty worthless these days.

This is probably the cheapest one out there:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...LAID=220244277
Old 10-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
chilly79

OK so here is my update.
It is all fixed now I have never been so happy to see my check engine light on.
I never could get any of the smaller LED’s off so I ordered some online and replaced all the speedometer & odometer LED’s with white. The larger LED’s are much easier to remove. Then I used a couple of the LED’s I pulled off to replace my check engine and Maintenance light. They were not the same size but worked great. I ordered the smaller LED’s as well, from the interior color change thread, but they were way too small. Possible I was sent the wrong size but they were less that $1 and I made it work. So I got the check engine light turned off since the issue was fixed and will do an oil change soon and turn the Maintenance light off. I was thinking of replacing the headlight LED on the instrument panel too since it is one of those lights that should be on and is the only light not white when I drive at night. I do like the look of the white better than the orange. Next stop is power windows and doors.

By the way I figured out what I did with the speedometer since I did it again. When you put the needle back on you need to be sure not push too hard. It could still move with my hand really easy but I guess that little bit of resistance was too much. I made sure there was a small gap and it works fine.