Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2017, 10:50 PM   #19
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I really like the look/stance of certain Hyundai, Kia and Volkswagen vehicles but I simply don't trust them, just like I don't trust Ford, GM, Chrysler, Fiat, BMW, etc.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:52 PM   #20
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I really like the look/stance of certain Hyundai, Kia and Volkswagen vehicles but I simply don't trust them, just like I don't trust Ford, GM, Chrysler, Fiat, BMW, etc.
+1
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:10 PM   #21
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
I do have an Elantra! The rear suspension is defective on pretty much all of them. A specialty shop was able to fix the rear alignment and it drives world's better now. Not technically adjustable by Hyundai's specifications.

I tell you something, I will never ever buy one again. 3rd Gen yaris for life.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #22
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
both junk in the long run
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #23
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
as someone that has been in the mechanic field, i will never buy a KIA or Hyundai, i have had people trade them in with less than 5k miles and they where already burning oil. they never last to their 100k mark, and if you get a used one from the dealer it would only have the 30k warranty. They have progressed to be better but they have only improved their style and interiors the most their Direct injection engine is a good step forward but it still has its issues.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:14 PM   #24
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
as someone that has been in the mechanic field, i will never buy a KIA or Hyundai, i have had people trade them in with less than 5k miles and they where already burning oil. they never last to their 100k mark, and if you get a used one from the dealer it would only have the 30k warranty. They have progressed to be better but they have only improved their style and interiors the most their Direct injection engine is a good step forward but it still has its issues.
So true and it's why I say both junk , I work on car too and see it all and say avoid both makes .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #25
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
OMG!

I hired a Hyundai I30 in mint condition. It's smooth and comfortable car perfect for a daily driving. I see why people who buy these new Hyundai's and Kia love them.

I had the latest model I30, nice looking car and it's lovely to drive. Not fun but good enough.

Come on Toyota fan boys you need to wake up. Hyundai and KIA are closing in on the top 3 Japanese makers.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:22 PM   #26
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
OMG! since the sportage is getting repaired. I hired a Hyundai I30 in mint condition. It's smooth and comfortable car perfect for a daily driving. I see why people who buy these new Hyundai's and Kia love them.

I had the latest model I30 nice looking car and it's just lovely to drive. Not fun but good enough.

Come on Toyota fan boys you need to wake up. Hyundai and KIA are closing in on the top 3 Japanese makers.
I'm sorry but no , no need to wake up I'm a Auto tech and see first had what junk they are ...My 07 Yaris works better than a yr old Kia or Hyundai .
If u like to burn money go right ahead I will pass cos nothing but problems .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2017, 12:32 AM   #27
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Quote:
OMG!

I hired a Hyundai I30 in mint condition. It's smooth and comfortable car perfect for a daily driving. I see why people who buy these new Hyundai's and Kia love them.
I've also driven a rental Hyundai i30, in the UK. Like you I also found it drove great, and was really economical on gas too.

But driving a rental car proves nothing, as far as long term ownership goes. Rental cars are always less than 6 month old, nice and shiny, and too new to show problems. So I prefer to listen to what the professional mechanics tell me, based on the cars they service and fix every day.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:34 AM   #28
tarkus

Quote:
OMG!

I've also driven a rental Hyundai i30. It was in the UK. Like you I also found it drove great, and was really economical on gas too.

But driving a rental car proves nothing, as far as long term ownership goes. Rental cars are always less than 6 month old, nice and shiny, and too new to show problems. So I prefer to listen to what the professional mechanics tell me, based on the cars they service and fix every day.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #29
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
...driving a rental car proves nothing, as far as long term ownership goes. Rental cars are always less than 6 month old, nice and shiny, and too new to show problems. So I prefer to listen to what the professional mechanics tell me, based on the cars they service and fix every day.

As someone who's owned Toyota, Honda and was recently shopping Ford and Mazda, I honestly wouldn't call myself a Toyota fanboy. If anything, I've always criticized Toyota for having a bit of yawn factor compared to others.

As I said before, for me, it's more about tactile feel and drive experience. They literally feel sub-par in every way to me. Pile on what actual tech's are saying and it's not a good look.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #30
tarkus

I think we have enough actual techs on this forum, plus I know a couple of master mechanics who tell me the same thing. There may be a bit of a yawn factor, but they're as reliable as hell. I only used to drive high end European cars until recently, and the whole Toyota thing came as quite an eye opener to me, as I'd always looked down on Japanese cars. Now I won't drive anything else.

One of my previous cars was a BMW Z1 roadster (look it up). The Yaris with tweaks has been the most fun to drive I've had since. So maybe not such a huge yawn factor after all.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #31
ern-diz

Quote:
I think we have enough actual techs on this forum, plus I know a couple of master mechanics who tell me the same thing. There may be a bit of a yawn factor, but they're as reliable as hell.
Right, which is why I agreed with you.

Quote:
One of my previous cars was a BMW Z1 roadster (look it up). The Yaris with tweaks has been the most fun to drive I've had since. So maybe not such a huge yawn factor after all.
I'm familiar with the Z1. It may not be huge yawn factor in your experience, but when stacked up next to Honda, Nissan and Mazda, Toyota is definitely the sleepiest of the bunch.

On Wheelwell
Old 01-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #32
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I have a 2017 Sportage SX (FWD) for review this week. I have to say, it's freaking nice—like luxury car nice. 240 hp, 260 ft/lbs of torque; pretty darn quick.

FYI, I don't own or have any loyalty to Kia, Hyundai, or any other brand. But I'll tell you what, the Sportage SX is a very nice, powerful, and comfy vehicle.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #33
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I guess the "yawn factor" is something I'm in search of when shopping for a car. I'm simply looking for good, reliable, transportation that only requires inexpensive routine maintenance and almost no repairs.

I'm completely satisfied with the "antiquated" 1.5L and 4-speed automatic transmission in my Yaris. I don't want/need any "tech" features whatsoever; power windows, mirrors, and locks are the extent of my "luxury" needs.

For exterior design, I prefer conservative, tight, flowing lines, not some radical Yugio inspired design with curves and angles... and fake vents, etc. that make no sense whatsoever.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #34
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I guess the "yawn factor" is something I'm in search of when shopping for a car. I'm simply looking for good, reliable, transportation that only requires inexpensive routine maintenance and almost no repairs.

I'm completely satisfied with the "antiquated" 1.5L and 4-speed automatic transmission in my Yaris. I don't want/need any "tech" features whatsoever; power windows, mirrors, and locks are the extent of my "luxury" needs.

For exterior design, I prefer conservative, tight, flowing lines, not some radical Yugio inspired design with curves and angles... and fake vents, etc. that make no sense whatsoever.
Hard to argue, Toyota is great.

Just saying that when it comes to performance inspired driving experience, Toyota is looking about ready for a nap lol.

On Wheelwell
Old 01-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #35
ern-diz

Coincidentally and quite timely, Inside Lane posted a link to their static review of the new Kia Stinger GT on Wheelwell.com.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQD2...ature=youtu.be

On Wheelwell
Old 01-21-2017, 01:21 AM   #36
tarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
It may not be huge yawn factor in your experience, but when stacked up next to Honda, Nissan and Mazda, Toyota is definitely the sleepiest of the bunch.
I think you're right in general about Toyota, especially in North America. For some reason they abondoned the Celicia, the Supra and the MR2, and focused on middle of the road family cars, SUVs and trucks. The Scion range kept the Toyota name in Europe and therefore managed to prevent the brand looking quite so staid over there.

My wife drives a Camry, and its a great comfortable and refined family car, but with zero coolness factor. The Yaris, indeed lacks sophistication, but is huge fun because of its lightweight go-kart feel. With only minor tweaks to the engine and suspension it becomes a fantastic little sports car that's simply a pleasure to drive. Who cares if it's unsophisticated. That's a lot of its attraction, in addition to its many other good points, and I'm now on my second one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
I have a 2017 Sportage SX (FWD) for review this week. I have to say, it's freaking nice—like luxury car nice. 240 hp, 260 ft/lbs of torque; pretty darn quick.

FYI, I don't own or have any loyalty to Kia, Hyundai, or any other brand. But I'll tell you what, the Sportage SX is a very nice, powerful, and comfy vehicle.
That may well be but there's still a big question mark over the reliability.