Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
kenora

Drives: 2009 Yaris LE 5 dr
Thumbs down Stealership faked a filthy cabin air filter

I took my 2009 5door lb in for its 16000 km service (10000 miles) at the dealership I bought it from.
When I arrived I asked specifically what was going to be done and left my cell # for a call should anything surprising come up for authorization to do additional work.
It was to a be oil and filter and tire rotation only!
I pulled out the cabin air filter about 200 km ago (3 days) and saw it looked nearly perfect so no need to change it.
When I got back to the stealership I was told the cabin air filter was changed due it being dirty; I asked to see the filter and they presented me with a FILTHY cabin air filter, it looked like it had a million miles down gravel roads on it, it was NOT MINE!
When I told the service writer the mechanic was full of shiatzu he replied the mechanic was trustworthy (like they were going to admit the fraud!!).
I crossed my arms and told the guy that I had checked it 200 km ago (they thought I didn't even know where it was, much less how to get to it) and then said I wasn't paying for it.
At that point they said they would put the old filter back in; I said FINE but not the filthy POS they showed it since it wasn't mine.
At that point the service guy said I could have it for free.
I accepted and told him that next time I expected a call before unathorized work AND let him know I was watching for BS.
At this stage I think I am going to find another dealer since they have totaly lost my trust.
I posted just to let you know this crap still happens.
fwiw this happened at one of Manitoba's biggest Toyota dealerships; its in Steinbach (they advertise themselves as Automobile City).
Oh I stopped in at the sales side where I hunted down my salesman and told him the tale. He was NOT supportive; what a jerk!
kenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Never, go to a dealer and ask for a specifiec mileage service or you are just begging to get ripped off.
The people who do this usually are totally ignorant and the dealers feel they have free rein to commit fraud.

If that was me, I would write a letter to the deale'sr service manager and to Toyota coporate explaining the fraud.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
advocate

Drives: car
Definitely go to Toyota corporate if you're still ticked off about it. This is why I love my religious mechanic: he would never even think about doing something immoral.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
jefferelli

Drives: 08 Yaris HB
I am glad you called them out on it and hope that it will make them think twice before trying to rip someone else off.
jefferelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
contact the better business bureau....the BBB....im serious....report that shit....wait to see what happens

i had to do that for a shop that fuxored some rims i had....contacting the BBB got results AND it lets people know whats gone on
Old 09-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
thats some fuk up shit

I feel bad for older folks that dont know whats going on.

Makes me wonder,How many ppl do they get with that same BS story.
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I had a similiar thing happen at Sears. Took my wifes car in a 5k miles for a lifetime balance. They squirted oil on the shocks and said they were leaking and needed new ones. It a jungle out there!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #8
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I had a similiar thing happen at Sears. Took my wifes car in a 5k miles for a lifetime balance. They squirted oil on the shocks and said they were leaking and needed new ones. It a jungle out there!
Sears auto care is notorious for that!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:48 AM   #9
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
its funny, when you DO want them to "find" damages for warranty sakes, like partial vehicle recalls. Kinda like my tacoma having a frame rust issue, i was hoping it was fail the test and i would get a good amount off my Yaris purchase... guess they only find damages when it suits them. I have never brought my Toyotas to the dealership for work, my dad has a hook up with his best friends cousin who is a cool mechanic.

i should check my cabin filter..lets see what its got after 3.6k on it

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
nimith

Drives: 2007 yaris hatch
I would never take my car there again. Trust me on this, they will remember you and your car for calling them out and will tamper with your car.You go back for basic service and two days later you will have some kind of expensive failure.
nimith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimith View Post
I would never take my car there again. Trust me on this, they will remember you and your car for calling them out and will tamper with your car.You go back for basic service and two days later you will have some kind of expensive failure.
Kinda like pissing off a restaurant,next time you come in you'll get some extra protein The dealer you are at has shown the level of quality and class that they are going to give you,they didnt earn the right to a second chance.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I would start making phone calls asap. That kind of behavior is deplorable and the dealer needs to be publicly called on it.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #13
Y@R15
Dude wheres my car?

Drives: 98 honda VTi
dude seriously the stealership dont care about you after you drop your downpayment. they tried to sell me a new car as soon as i came back a month later asking if i wanted to trade in my car
Y@R15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #14
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
I would start making phone calls asap. That kind of behavior is deplorable and the dealer needs to be publicly called on it.
Better yet, write registered letters (signature required). Ths method always gets attention (no matter what the situation or with who) as they can not deny the documentation.

This metod gets results every time and I don't waste my time with phone calls any more.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #15
Stoln

Drives: 2007 5 Door Hatch
I had a similar issue with a dealer in Manitoba as well, It was sunshine Toyota. I had aftermarket factory installed cruise installed at time of purchase, then it did not work, took it in and they told me because I had an alrm/starter installed it was the brain that made the cruise stop working. They pulled the brain for the alarm out and left it in the tray in front of the auto shifter. I asked them why they didn't call to explain this to me and charge my wife 80+ to pick up car, got the answer it was the brain and to take it back to however installed it. I did and when the guy who installed it at Advance heard this the first thing he told me was what part of the alarm is connected with the cruise. We drove the car without the brain and the cruise worked, than drove it with the brain in and it worked. I went back to the dealer and bitched as they are useless. I got the money back and never stepped foot in that dealer again, I changed to a different dealer and have had nothing but good luck with them and they even called me for a recall and my file is not even with them. It happens every where. Do it yourself and save all the hassels.
Stoln is offline   Reply With Quote