Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Camberix

Drives: Blue 3dr hatch
Alternatives to Toyota "pink" super long life coolant

My girlfriend's '07 Yaris is piling on the miles, and I was researching alternatives to the OEM "pink" Super Long Life coolant/antifreeze that seems to only be sold pre-mixed in 50/50 concentration. The dealer route is annoying, as it's expensive and the car's capacity is about five quarts - a gallon jug is only four quarts.

The factory service manual calls for a coolant with "nonsilicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and non-borate engine coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology." While most anti-freeze is similar at the basic level, the corrosion inhibitors used can be very different. I found that a Japanese company called "CCI" engineered and apparently contract-produces the correct type of coolant for late-model Toyotas, and it has been adopted by several other manufacturers.

If you want the same life/wear characteristics as prescribed by OEM, you can also apparently go with:
  • Mazda FL22 - only sold as pre-mixed 55/45 gallon
  • Zerex Asian - can only find as pre-mixed 50/50 gallon (Tech bulletin here)
  • Motorcraft Specialty Green Engine Coolant - PN# VC-10-A premixed, VC-10-A2 concentrated
The Motorcraft coolant should in theory be available at any local Ford parts counter. When the time comes, I'm going to flush the OE pink coolant out and mix my own with distilled water from the Motorcraft concentrate. Anyone else researched compatible coolants?
Camberix is offline   Reply With Quote