Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-21-2023, 02:22 AM   #1
lightdisc2

Drives: Yaris 2008
Diagnosing Starting Issue

2008 liftback MT - My car is having new issues starting that can be heard in the attached files. It has 200k+ miles. When starting the car there is a delay before it finally starts that usually lasts a few to several seconds. It has happened with a longer delay than heard in the files. Sometimes it sounds like it is just cranking over, or almost a whirring noise.

I am wondering if it could just be the starter given the mileage. It has a new battery and alternator, so that can't be it. I have read on these forums that it could be fuel injectors, or other fuel system pressure related issues. Has anyone had the same issue, as it sounds in the files? Any helpful information is appreciated.

Files - https://filetransfer.io/data-package/KYpQU8Gb#link
Attached Files
File Type: zip starting issue audio.zip (412.9 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by lightdisc2; 11-21-2023 at 05:16 PM.
lightdisc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 09:53 PM   #2
lightdisc2

Update:

I went to do my annual cleaning of my AFe air filter. I started the engine with it off to see if it had an affect on the starting issue - it didn't, however, the driver side head light bulb went out (low and high beam). Both my front bulbs are very new, and this is now also the continuation of an issue I've been having for the past few years where my bulbs blow out when I start the engine every few months, always one at a time.

I used to have a battery light but got that to go away by fixing a voltage regulator pigtail harness that melted - I thought that had also fixed the premature headlight burning issue.

I took the car into a local mechanic and he is going to look at it Friday, but he hasn't been able to duplicate the starting issue. I am on my last legs with this car and am for the first time seriously considering getting rid of it. Just undiagnosable electric issues, and now this starting issue which I cannot live with because of using the car for a delivery service for work.

edit: I should add my cheap OBDII scanner is pulling zero codes. Mechanic thinks it's something electrical or the starter, will run tests on Friday.
Old 11-25-2023, 04:49 AM   #3
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdisc2 View Post
Update:

I went to do my annual cleaning of my AFe air filter. I started the engine with it off to see if it had an affect on the starting issue - it didn't, however, the driver side head light bulb went out (low and high beam). Both my front bulbs are very new, and this is now also the continuation of an issue I've been having for the past few years where my bulbs blow out when I start the engine every few months, always one at a time.

I used to have a battery light but got that to go away by fixing a voltage regulator pigtail harness that melted - I thought that had also fixed the premature headlight burning issue.

I took the car into a local mechanic and he is going to look at it Friday, but he hasn't been able to duplicate the starting issue. I am on my last legs with this car and am for the first time seriously considering getting rid of it. Just undiagnosable electric issues, and now this starting issue which I cannot live with because of using the car for a delivery service for work.

edit: I should add my cheap OBDII scanner is pulling zero codes. Mechanic thinks it's something electrical or the starter, will run tests on Friday.
Is there an exposed cable that was also melted somehere in the circuit? Thats all I could think of, somehwere else there is a melted wire that is shorting when the car electrical system is put under heavy load, like a cold start. Also why are you starting it with no airfilter? they do not like that.

Also are you oiling that filter? and if so are you letting the filter dry for aatleast 24 hours before using it in the car again? Maf sensor gets covered with the oil and it will make it do weird stuff. (not electrical but it wont help with it starting)
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 05:29 PM   #4
lightdisc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeer View Post
Is there an exposed cable that was also melted somehere in the circuit? Thats all I could think of, somehwere else there is a melted wire that is shorting when the car electrical system is put under heavy load, like a cold start. Also why are you starting it with no airfilter? they do not like that.

Also are you oiling that filter? and if so are you letting the filter dry for aatleast 24 hours before using it in the car again? Maf sensor gets covered with the oil and it will make it do weird stuff. (not electrical but it wont help with it starting)
The aFe filter is an oil free design, and only requires cleaning by soap and water. Yes I let it dry a day or for several hours near an air duct. I won't be starting the car with the air filter off again. Usually it's not an issue for cars as long as you don't drive like that long term, I wanted to see if it affected the starting issue. It just needed a new starter though, and that issue is resolved.

I ordered a new MAF sensor also just to be safe and will be installing that soon. I agree there is a good chance there is another damaged wire somewhere. It's weird because the bulbs usually work for a while and then just burn out prematurely. This time my mechanic can't get the driver side to stay on. He is going to look at it Monday, and then I am just going to regrettably take it into the dealer to try to find the underlying cause once and for all.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:48 PM   #5
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdisc2 View Post
The aFe filter is an oil free design, and only requires cleaning by soap and water. Yes I let it dry a day or for several hours near an air duct. I won't be starting the car with the air filter off again. Usually it's not an issue for cars as long as you don't drive like that long term, I wanted to see if it affected the starting issue. It just needed a new starter though, and that issue is resolved.

I ordered a new MAF sensor also just to be safe and will be installing that soon. I agree there is a good chance there is another damaged wire somewhere. It's weird because the bulbs usually work for a while and then just burn out prematurely. This time my mechanic can't get the driver side to stay on. He is going to look at it Monday, and then I am just going to regrettably take it into the dealer to try to find the underlying cause once and for all.
the looms for the front are not too complicasted, could also go pull one off a another car and just replace the headlight loom. Its strange it all started with the led lights doing weird stuff.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 04:22 PM   #6
lightdisc2

To give another update the low beams are both working now. The mechanic who worked on it usually works on older american cars, so he was less familiar with toyota wiring. He said he had to do a custom ground or something, there are wires going across the front of the engine bay. I really wish I was more mechanically inclined to understand what he did by looking at it. When he did it, the DRL started flickering full time, and the high beams stopped working (no indicator light on dash either), but the low beams work now. I disconnected the DRL module following a post I found on here, so they don't flicker if I forget to turn the lights on.

Just going to take into a nearby Toyota dealer next time there is an issue with the lights and try to get everything back to factory. There used to be spec-d head lights on my car, so maybe that has something to do with it. Thanks everyone for the help though.

Tags
starter, starting, starting issue