Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
N9QGS

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
Charging System Light

Hi Guys, I have a 07' Yaris Sedan, with 143,200 miles on it, and has been flawless, but I drove about 200 miles to meet up with someone, and I parked my car in a friends garage for 4 days, when I came back and started the car, the battery light remained illuminated. I have a scangaugeII and saw that the voltage was at 13.8 volts which is normal with the car running., we even put a meter across the battery and turned on stuff and it kept the voltage accurate. So I left, for my 200 mile trip back home at 11 oclock at night. I noticed the headlights were getting brighter like I was flashing my highbeams, but not the same. it would only last a split second and happened every 30 seconds to a minute sometimes doing it twice back to back.

So then I noticed the scangaugeII Voltage display jumping from 13.8 to 17.0 and back, and it would stay around 13.8, then it would just to 16.5 volts, and back to 13.8, and it seemed this match the headlights getting bright. the battery light at this time was going on and off sometimes off for 2 to 3 minutes, well after about an hour or 2 into my trip I took note that none of these symptoms were happening anymore, and the car was operating just fine at 13.8 volts (approx.) and I made it all the way home..

This morning I started the car and the battery light was again on, so i shut the car off, and I made arrangements to go to the local auto place to have them test it the alternator and battery, of course when I went over there the light was not on, and they said everything tested fine. The light has not come on since today.

Any thoughts?? Im suspecting a voltage regulator or brushes on the alternator, should I continue to drive until the system happens more regular, Im concerned about 17 volt spikes in the electrical system, but I know if I take it somewhere they may not find anything.

Ron...
Old 07-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
There are a few threads here on the 07 charging light problems.
TSB:
http://www.etimago.com/yaris/TSB/T-E...t%20ON%20).pdf

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28627
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, battery, charging, system, voltage