Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
mchamp00

Drives: Yaris
Bumper replacement

I recently replaced the front bumper on my wife's 2009 Yaris S 4 door hatchback after we hit some debris that fell off a truck on the highway, causing some damage to the bumper and hood. The stock bumper looked like exactly like this: http://cartype.com/pics/9203/full/to...k_grill_11.jpg

Having had expensive body work done on my cars in the past, I decided to see if I could save money by buying replacement parts and doing it myself. I ended up finding a replacement bumper and hood on partstrain.com. Here's the bumper I ordered: http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...location=Front
On the site it says it fits a 2009 Yaris S hatchback model with fog lamps, which is what I needed. However, after receiving the bumper, it is clearly different than the original (though it is obviously different in the pictures, I just didn't notice the difference when ordering). The replacement lacks the extra component on the lower half of the bumper that houses the lower grill and fog lamps, and the lower mounting brackets don't line up correctly. I managed to mount it to the car after buying some of my own mounting hardware a local hardware store, but I can't make everything work. The upper grill doesn't quite fit in the new bumper (though I could probably make it work by forcing it). There is no way to attach the lower grill at all because on the original bumper this was secured to the extra component. The fog lights fit, but the housing is a part of the lower component as well, so they don't have anything surrounding them anymore. I've attached pics of the car with the replacement parts on it.

I'm not bothered by the difference in the bumper from the stock, but I don't really like it not having a grill or housing for the fog lights, so I'd like to try to replace those after I get the bumper painted. Can anyone who is more familiar with these cars tell me what type of bumper I actually ended up with so that I can order some grills and fog light housings that will fit correctly? I'm willing to go aftermarket if it's cheaper/better as well. I think these fog lights/housings look like they would fit well, but I'm not 100% sure without knowing what kind of bumper I have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLEAR-LENS-D...CModel%3AYaris

(Replacement hood worked well by the way)

mchamp00 is offline   Reply With Quote