Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #1
Buzzwire
I've made a post!

Drives: 2013 Yaris LE
Hydrogen Generator on my Yaris

Hi.

I just bought a 2013 Toyota Yaris LE. Real nice car. Only 38,000 kilometers on it.

Previously, I had a 2007 Toyota Yaris.

On the 07 Yaris I had a hydrogen generator. Oh yeah we have all heard about these. They just dont work, even Popular Mechanics says this.

Except this is a motor vacuum type of hydrogen kit, not an air intake type of hydrogen kit. The popular mechanics report covers air intake style kits.

This kit worked quite well on my 07 Yaris and also my 2003 Echo. I got much better gas mileage. I also know other people who have this style of kit on their cars. They seem happy.

My problem.

As it is a motor vacuum kit, the natural motor vacuum of the engine draws gas from the vacuum sealed canister. If the canister is hooked into the motor vacuum the engine check light comes on with a P0171 code. Motor vacuum leak. If the canister is removed from the system, but the plumbing is left in place the engine check light stays off.
As the canister has to be sealed so as MV does not drop off I checked another generator but same result. With the canister in the loop of MV ECL.
I shortened the hose going to the canister from to the purge vacuum of the car. It almost looks like it took longer for the ECL light to come on.

My question.

Is there some constriction on the amount of vacuum hose tubing you can have in the system. In other words with this type of car if you add a bit of extra tubing to the vacuum system ( 2 or 3 feet ) will this trigger a error code?

Quite confident that the canister is MV solid and does not leak.

I ask this as I did shorten the tubing between the motor and the canister and it almost looked like it made a difference.

I guess another question to ask is is the purge vacuum the proper place to put this device on? Or is there a better vacuum port on the motor?

As I mentioned I know of other folks who have this working just like I did on my other Toyota's. So it does work.

If you want to see the system, fuelgeniesystems.com

Thanks for your time.
Buzzwire is offline   Reply With Quote