Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
zombiegeisha
Gamer Chick

Drives: Toyota Yaris '07
Send a message via AIM to zombiegeisha
104,000 miles and my Transmissions(?) goes?

For one, ever since I've had my car (bought in new in 07, automatic transmission), it likes to takes-off whenever I'm coming out of the light.

I just thought it was the cars' peppiness. Now I'm wondering, is it due to a defective transmission?

Maybe it's my torque converter?

I drive 50 miles everyday for work on the highway in Florida. Yesterday it was especially angry.

It would feel lazy, like the e-brake was pulled up, more noticeably at each interval starting at 40 then 60 then 80.

This morning it seemed better, it started to get angry when I hit 75-80mph. It also gave that friction-metal smell around that point. A similar smell happens when I would punch the motor (not that I'd do it often, but I-95 sometimes causes you to do so). Have you guys had this smell happen when you punch it?

I'm so sad right now. I love my putt-putt.

Anyone have a similar problem? Other ideas are the VVTI or maybe the ECM?

No check engine light. Advance Auto has the trouble code reader for free. Planning on taking it over there for that after work.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Have you ever had the AT fluid changed? Pull the dipstick and take a sniff and also wipe the dipstick on a white paper towel. See if it smells burnt (as opposed to the sweet funky normal smell of ATF) and also see if it looks brown, rather than red on the paper towel.

Besides the AT making it seem sluggish, it could also be bad spark plugs, dirty injectors, dirty MAF sensor, etc.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
If you bring your vehicle to your local AAMCO they will check the transmission for free. What you are describing could be the transmission slipping or incorrect gear ratio such as being in 3rd gear but your in 4th so you have to push harder on the gas for it to accelerate. Think of a bicicyle if your start pedaling on the highest gear you got to nearly stand on the pedal and use a lot more effort to go.

If there is no check engine light that isnt really a good thing that means more than likely its nothing electronically thats effecting the shifting. But again if you bring it to a AAMCC they will scan the system for you with a factory scan tool and see if there are any pending codes in the transmission.

The transmission for our car has a very low failure rate, I have yet to see one fail yet and i have been working for aamco for over a year now and float between different stores.

It could very well be something else such as scott suggested that could be engine related.

If it ends up being a mechanical transmission issue some hint of good news florida has the lowest rates for cost of rebuilding transmissions.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
zombiegeisha
Gamer Chick

I wasn't aware that AAMCO does that! That would be very helpful. Thanks!

The AT fluid looks fine, and I've heard that the Yaris' fluid is good for the life of the thing - unless you live in 0 degrees and commute only 5 minutes away from your house every day.

My car gets gross really fast on the outside driving every day like I do, maybe it's gotten gross on the inside too.

I'll start with the code check and work on the easy fixes to the big ones. It could probably use a tune up.

I put synthetic in regularly with a K&N filter. So hopefully my engine is happy on that end. Need to clean the K&N Air Filter too.

I'll fill you in on updates as soon as I get them!
I really appreciate your help!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
john11v35

Drives: 2011 3dr 5spd yaris
I was thinking it may be your throttle body needing cleaning. If the butterfly is sticking open instead of returning to idle or not being able to open fully when going down the road, you would get the same type of issues.
john11v35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
zombiegeisha
Gamer Chick

My car is happy again! It was a filthy Mass Air Flow sensor. It's zippy and peppy again! The thing was black with soot.
Reset the battery and it was idling funny, but it seems to have corrected itself.

Thank you for taking the time to help point me in the right direction!
Old 06-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
So Glad !

So glad it was something relatively simple! It really makes me feel for folks when they are having car trouble. Sheesh, it HAD to be something simple, this Yaris is a T A N K !

Cheers to being back to normal..!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiegeisha View Post
My car is happy again! It was a filthy Mass Air Flow sensor. It's zippy and peppy again! The thing was black with soot.
Reset the battery and it was idling funny, but it seems to have corrected itself.
Thank you for taking the time to help point me in the right direction!
Glad you got it sorted out.

That is one thing that is often overlooked ...... see this thread including my post #15.....

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...highlight=mafs

Last edited by RedRide; 06-27-2013 at 01:15 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic, ecm, torque converter, transmission, vvti